How to stop late night eating?

Options
hi,

How do you guys stop the late night eating? Also how do u control the cravings?

Replies

• Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Early bedtime when I can. I also brush my teeth after I've completed my eating for the day. I hate eating after brushing.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    at night i notice i get these bad cravings for like junk like twinkies cupcake omg love those.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I save calories for late at night, that way i don't go over and can eat
  • rita27ny
    Options
    i hear oo don't eat at night. will gain weight..
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Go to bed earlier, plus you feel better the next day as well.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I save calories for late at night, that way i don't go over and can eat

This!

Eating at night doesn't make you gain weight.
  • Fitnett
    Options
    Usually I do not eat after 6pm and if I still feel hungry I eat fruits apple, banana or nuts. That really helps :)
    Options
    i hear oo don't eat at night. will gain weight..

That is actually a huge myth. Meal timing is irrelevant. Your body does not shut off at night. You can eat all you want before bed as long as it fits into your calories :]

Here is my progress thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/370133-look-mama-i-grew-up-progress-pics-d?hl=look+mama

During my weight loss I have ate the majority of my calories at night :]
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm up all night. Work graveyard shift. 7pm til 7am. I usually work out extra hard on the days that I'm off so eating at night does not affect me. You also need good will power.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Eating to much at night is bad, as your body works to hard to process it, resulting in not sleeping as well as you could have, I eat very light at night and ignore the hunger go to bed
  • rita27ny
    Options
    really hard to ignore the hunger pain keeps me up all night.
  • rita27ny
    Options
    really hard to ignore the hunger pain keeps me up all night.
    Options
    Here is a good site to check out: http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

Quoting:

10. Myth: "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch a queen, dinner like a pauper."

Truth

Also connected to this saying, is the belief that you should reduce carbs in the evening as they will be less likely to be stored as fat. While this might sound good on paper, there's nothing to support it and a lot that shows it to be wrong.

The strongest argument against this are the numerous studies available on body composition and health after and during Ramadan fasting. This meal pattern of regular nightly feasts has a neutral or positive effect on body fat percentage and other health parameters. This is quite an extreme and telling example. People literally gorge on carbs and treats in the middle of the night to no ill effect. And yet, in the bizarre world of bodybuilding and fitness, people worry whether it's OK to eat 50 grams of carbs in their last meal.

If the scientific data on Ramadan fasting aren't enough, there are plenty of other studies showing no effect on weight loss or weight gain from eating later in the day.

In one study comparing two meal patterns, which involved one group eating more calories earlier in the day and one group eating most calories later in the day, more favorable results were found in the group eating large evening meals. While those who ate more in the AM lost more weight, the extra weight was in the form of muscle mass. The late evening eaters conserved muscle mass better, which resulted in a larger drop in body fat percentage.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    It's not when you eat, but what you eat. If you're within your calories but it's later at night, no difference. Like Sunshine said, save some calories during your day for a bedtime snack. Also, I find that things like hot tea help me with cravings at night if I've already finished up my calories for the day.
  • rita27ny
    Options
    what if i am within my calories and save up some for a twinkie would that be ok?
    Options
    what if i am within my calories and save up some for a twinkie would that be ok?

Certainly is! It will not hinder your weight loss if it fits into your calorie goal :]
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry and I'm still losing weight. Just like at any other time of the day, just make good choices about what you eat. It is 3:16am here and I am up working. I ate 2 caramel corn rice cakes topped with 1TBS almond butter each. It was sweet and salty so hit the spot, and filling. If I'm hungry later, I might eat some cocoa roast almonds and a cup of Greek yogurt.

It's not WHEN you eat that prevents loss, it's WHAT you eat.

Best wishes!
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry and I'm still losing weight. Just like at any other time of the day, just make good choices about what you eat. It is 3:16am here and I am up working. I ate 2 caramel corn rice cakes topped with 1TBS almond butter each. It was sweet and salty so hit the spot, and filling. If I'm hungry later, I might eat some cocoa roast almonds and a cup of Greek yogurt.

It's not WHEN you eat that prevents loss, it's WHAT you eat.

Best wishes!

Yup!

Altho I would edit it to say: It's not WHEN you eat that prevents loss, it's HOW MUCH you eat.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You can save up for a twinkie :D

DO realize however, that it probably won't fill you up and you might want ANOTHER twinkie. How about yogurt and a twinkie? Or an apple and a twinkie?

Twinkies in moderation in general just because they don't give a lot of "bang" for your calorie buck. I eat all kinds of stuff.
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my carbs at night due to my medication. Something to do with producing seratonin????
    Did you know that your body fat also aids in the production of seratonin? Maybe that is why fat people are often jolly and also explains why so many give up after a certain amout of loss if they are on a starvation diet (ie not eating enough of their calories or carbs), they literally are unhappy dieting.
    The doctors used to give seratonin (often in the form or ritalin) to aid weight loss but it was banned.