Diet soda ?

Options
If I quit drinking diet soda will I lose weight? I love Diet Coke so I don't want to quit unless it is going to help me! Thanks

Replies

• andshrinking
    andshrinking Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    if you quit diet soda but drink only mcdonalds sweet tea
    then no
    but if you quit soda all together
    chances are it will
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Everything is different for everyone. I say try it for a week or two and see.
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    okay...so this is a tricky one. so according to some articles, diet sodas have a chemical that causes cravings (or something along those lines)...however, if that doesn't happen to you, then i don't see why you couldn't keep drinking them.

for example, i was skinny until my early 20's and i drank diet soda all the time. my dad was diabetic so diet was all that was allowed. i didn't start gaining weight until i started on depo provera.

moral of this story...it all depends on you.
  • drusso1491
    drusso1491 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    even though it says diet soda has 0 calories it can actually still have up to 5 calories in the bottle ( this goes for any product that says it has 0 calories) i dont know much about the whole artificial sweetener deal but i do believe that it will tend to increase your cravings for more foods/drinks like it aka sugary stuff
    so if your having problems with cravings, id say cutting out diet coke will help... otherwise, the caffeine in it may actually help!
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I am curious if others actually lost weight from quitting. I stopped cold turkey 2 months ago (will have it about once a week) and my weight loss has picked up. But I also modified some other things in my diet so I can't tie the two. I am much less bloated though!
  • StephanieRDMS
    StephanieRDMS Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It will help. Diet soda contains more sodium than regular soda. Sodium = water retention... no sodium = no water retention... I stopped drinking sodas and started making decaf tea at home, 4 quarts, with 1 cup of Splenda to sweeten it.
  • elimendoza31
    elimendoza31 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    if you quit diet soda but drink only mcdonalds sweet tea
    then no
    but if you quit soda all together
    chances are it will
    lol....I keep telling my self at least ur not drinking soda...I cut the mcds tea ....and I'm so cr:smile: aving it...lol
  • Pfreeman79
    Options
    I can only tell you my experience - I used to drink a lot of Coke and other sodas and I'm sure they were a big part of the problem for me - too much sugar, too many calories. I decided a while back to switch to Coke Zero and still drink one bottle a day most days, and this hasn't stopped me dropping weight. Now I'm not saying it's a healthier choice than giving away sodas altogether, but it's got to be better than the full sugar drinks.
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    Yes. And you'll be healthier. All "diet" really means is they took one thing out and replaced it with something else, usually some nasty chemical or other.
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    MîîśÊmÿłõü Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    u cut out coke from have 6-7 cams per day to now only 1 or none and have lost 8 kilos, i do believe its played a huge part in my weight loss, from going back and fourth between happy weight to overweight its been the change in coke, good luck!
  • kari1740
    kari1740 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone :)
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    u cut out coke from have 6-7 cams per day to now only 1 or none and have lost 8 kilos, i do believe its played a huge part in my weight loss, from going back and fourth between happy weight to overweight its been the change in coke, good luck!

Normal coke? If yes, you just cut 140 calories x 5-6 per day. Up to 840ish calorie difference per day
  • Tazke
    Tazke Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I got the advice to stop drinking it at all, because you keep having the taste for sugar when drinking diet coke.
    But if you really like it I still can drink one can a day.

And in the beginning I did that, but know from time to time I don't drink it any more each day.
    Just when I really want to drink it, I see it as a treat.
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Looking for people with a diet soda addiction for my new group!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/520-additcted-to-diet-soda
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    No, you aren't cutting any calories