Gaining weight???

Options
I started dieting about 4 weeks ago and started working out about 2 weeks ago. In the first 2 weeks I lost 8 lbs. Since working out I've gained 7 back! I'm getting very discouraged. Is this normal? Any suggestions out there for how to lose weight? I'm eating 1280 calories a day (with 1 cheat day) and working out 4-5 times a week.

Replies

• PeterPan132
    Options
    Are you taking account of your exercise calories? Just last week I posted a similar post, as I am a very active person but never lost any weight - and the thoughts were that I wasn't eating enough! My body had shut down and was holding onto everything I fed it - SO I have now manually adjusted my calories to 2000 per day (bearing in mind I work-out at least 5 times a week). And although I haven't got on the scales as yet, I am feeling miles better in myself for just giving my body extra fuel. So it may be worth trying to increase the calories everyday for 2 weeks and seeing whether that helps?
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Hard to tell without your diary being public.
    Are you drinking enough water?
    What are your goals set at? (How many lbs a week).
    Do you NET 1280... eat your exercise cals?
  • ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    When I was working out pretty hard I gained weight too....very frustrating. So I stopped. All I do is walk now and I'm losing steadily about 1 lb a week.

I still don't eat back my exercise calories
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Like the posters above said, not eating back exercise calories can slow weight loss. If you work out and burn 300 calories, eat about 1580. Otherwise, your body doesn't have the fuel to perform daily functions efficiently!
  • Lynnmt34
    Options
    I have also been gaining weight....I feel like I was doing better when I was not counting my calories.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    If you are incorporating weight training into your exercises, then your body is retaining water to help rebuild the damaged muscles. Plus, as a female, could your time of the month be a factor? Average weight gain for TOM is 3-8 lbs. Also, as previously stated, are you eating enough? The scale is a fine guide, but what are your inches like. Your Body fat %? Don't get discouraged, you are pobably doing great.
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Are your muscles sore? They swell up and retain water when you first start using them, and what time of the month is it? You can retain water for a lot of reasons. What is your sodium intake?
  • franscott
    Options
    It takes a while to see weight loss while working out. You prob gained some water weight...since ur drinking more water now that your working out more. I would say give a month of doing the combo diet and exercise. Dont give up. I have been working out 5-6 days a week and hour a day for almost 2 years and have only lost 60 lbs. Maybe try using measurements as a way to "measure" weight loss". Depending on your workouts you could be gaining muscle mass. Just keep in mind your weight will go up and down based on water weight and hormone levels may also add some. I usually gain 2-3 lbs before and during my cycle.
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    I wouldnt stop working out because you've gained weight. This could be due to any number of things - water retention in sore muscles which are repairing, not drinking enough water, a little of it could even be muscle gain (but not a lot, especially if you are female and especially of you are not specifically strength training).

Do your clothes feel looser? If so carry on as you are.
  • duggz
    duggz Posts: 1
    Options
    Do not be worried about that at all, and from the looks of it don't look to anybody on this board either, speak with a personal trainer. We all know muscle weights more than fat, what i've learned from working out is when you start, yes you will start to gain weight. Why? because you are gaining back muscle you never had, yes it can be discouraging at first, but all the muscle you gain back will actually burn fat cells faster than cardio exercise. So yes, you will start to put a few back on, but in the long term you are finding a much healthier way to lose weight, and the pounds will start to come off quicker, and in a much healthier way in the future.

well, a couple of the posts since i started writing are actually usefull info :/
  • sonshine327
    Options
    The one thing that really stands out is that I'm not eating enough. I stick to my 1280 calories a day and don't eat the extra exercise calories. I'll try eating more and see what happens. I will NOT GIVE UP!!!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    water weight most likely
  • MaryAnn678
    MaryAnn678 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have also been gaining weight....I feel like I was doing better when I was not counting my calories.
    You have to eat your calories burned or your body holds onto the calories, make sure you are setting your goals to lose 1-1 1/2 lbs a week plus most or all of your exercise calories.
  • Hey girlie!!

A lot of how you look and feel and your weight loss is based upon what you are fueling your body with.

Think of it like fueling a car. Cars run best on gasoline.

Fuel your body with NATURAL sources.
    Breakfast:
    Try complex carbs such as
    oats or whole grain cereal, or Ezekial bread or whole wheat toast. Have one serving of one of those.
    I usually have 1/2 cup oats and 1 scoop of protein in the mornings.

Eat every 2-3 hours. Eat clean foods like veggies lean protein sources such as chicken, lean ground turkey, lean ground beef, stay away from processed food like lunch meat. Try making a salad with a lean protein like 4-6 oz of grilled chicken and one piece of toast with tons of veggies. Balsamic ving. is good no other dressings or condiments. Try this and you can add natural fats such as 1 serving almonds or alvacado.

Other meal options throughout the day are an apple with 1 TSP Natural Peanut Butter, A Banana, 1/2 grapefruit and 3-4 no salt rice cakes, String cheese and an apple or banana, 1/2 cup of raspberries and 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 serving almonds, 1/2 grapefruit, Try those throughout the day.

Try to keep it to protein and veggies only in the evenings : proteins can be chicken, lean ground meat, egg whites, protein powder(I personally enjoy Beverly International because the taste is phenomenal and it is lower in carbs/sugar--many pro athletes use this type including my trainer whos a nationally ranked bikini competitor) but whey protein is okay just look for lower carb/sugar ones.

Here is a sample meal plan for you to try out of clean eating, I promise you will see results if you are consistent!!

Time Meal 1
    7:00 AM 1/2 cup of oats with 1 scoop protein powder, 1 small apple or banana or fruit 370 calories
    or
    3/4 Cup cooked Farina, 1 t. cinnamon, 1 banana,apple, fruit, 1 cup FF Milk 307
    or
    5 egg whites, 1/2 c spinach lettuce, 1/4 Cup salsa 1/4 Cup fat free cheese 1/2 Whole Wheat Bread or Ezekiel Bread or Ezekial English Muffin 305

Time Meal 2
    10:00 AM 1 medium apple or banana or another fruit of your choice 1 FF string Cheese 175
    OR
    1 small banana with 1 Tablespoon Peanut Butter (Natural) 200

Time Meal 3
    1:00 PM
    4 oz Grilled Chix w One piece of Ezekial Bread or a whole wheat wrap, spinach and veggies of your choice, If you need a condiment keep it to mustard only 1 Tablespoon or 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vingerette, 1/2 Grapefruit( I know taste can be bitter but it's a great way to help your body process naturally) 290
    OR
    2 Cups spinach lettuce, 1 can tuna, 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 Cucumber, 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil, 1 T.Balsamic Ving or Mustard and 8 almonds 338
    OR
    4 oz leanest gr beef or Turkey, LF, WW Wrap or 1 Piece Ezekial Bread Or English Muffin, 10 asparagus spears 390

Time Meal 4
    4:00 PM 1 scoop protein mix as pudding 120
    OR
    1 scoop protein mix with 1/4 C FF yogurt 154
    (For protein I reccomend Beverly Internationally--I can also get your free shipping on it just message me!)
    Time Meal 5
    7:00 PM 4 oz Tilapia or any sort of white fish, 1 Cup mixed veggie variety, 1/2 C. cooked br rice 281
    4 oz salmon, 1/4 C peas or broccoli, 3 oz sweet potato or brown 1/2 c. cooked brown rice or 1 slice Ezekial 272
    5 oz. chix, 1 small squash cut up or 1 cup green beans, 4 oz sw potatoe 290

Snack
    1/2 C Cottage Cheese 80
    1 serving unsalted rice cakes with 1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Jelly or Peanut Butter if you need extra taste
    Red Peppers or Lettuce Salad if needed at night

STAY AWAY FROM CARBS LATER OR EATING LATE IN THE EVENING.
    Try and do cardio early if you can, but try and do 5-6 days a week cardio. 2 of those should be high intensity days.
    Weight train, don't be afraid. Try splitting it into 3-5 days. Check out oxygen magazine or body building.com for more plans and ideas. All free. Train abs 3 days a week. Let me know if you need anything!!!

Hope this helps. :)
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    This happens to me every time I start a new workout, or start working out again after slacking for a while.Typically I hang onto water for 1-3 weeks. Your muscles just retain water as they break down and rebuild. Then they will release that water and you'll see a big drop in weight. It can be very discouraging, but just remember that exercise is good, and you will see great benefits from it if you stick with it.
  • mcanavan05
    mcanavan05 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Read through some of the posts.. .think im going through this now. M 6ft currently 213..was 211 yesterday..hitting the gym 3 times of week last 2 weeks. somewhat sore from weights, but im doing a less reps with heavier weights on arms, shoulders and back..

Anyone know on average what weight gain could be for a male? When do you estimate to see downtrend in weight? Thanks