Raisins....HOLY MOLY!!!!!

Options
I just logged two cups of sun maid rasins and about died...over 1000 cals...butt load of carbs and sugar....
Now is this the good carbs and sugar?????

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

B

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as good or bad sugar. It's all the same. I also wouldn't call carbs good or bad, although complex carbs are better in some senses, particularly if you have blood sugar problems.

How on Earth could you eat two CUPS of raisins? Are you sure?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    How on Earth could you eat two CUPS of raisins? Are you sure?
    Uh... yeah, this.
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Dried fruits have a lot of concentrated sugars, which is what makes them SO DELICIOUS... and also so calorie-rich. Look at it this way, you will be VERY regular for the next couple of days. :)
  • kowskey
    kowskey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you just ate two cups of raisins, I think you have bigger concerns that the calories and carbs ahead of you.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It is pretty much all sugar with some fiber. 2 cups of raisins is like 8 servings, and would be equivalent to at least 8 cups of grapes, How could 1 person eat that much?
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you just ate two cups of raisins, I think you have bigger concerns that the calories and carbs ahead of you.

^^^^^^^^
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't drink any water! It would suck for all those grapes to rehydrate in your stomach.
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    I would have opted for a Dairy Queen!
    Amazing that something supposidly so good for you is loaded with calories, but it does seem like a lot. Did you double check, I notice a lot of the food on this site is miss labled as far as calories and protien.

On a lighter note, you shouldn't have a problem with constipation!
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    2 cups of raisins is a lot of darn raisins :ohwell:
  • ellekay22
    ellekay22 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You might want to buy extra TP. Soon.
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    should have checked the nutrition value before you started eating..just saying

and for the sugar, yeah they are soaked in suryp, raisins and all dried fruits are supposed to be added for taste to other food, not eaten alone, as they have no nutritional value.
  • BHAK
    BHAK Posts: 33
    Options
    Sorry let me clarify...

Didn't sit and eat two cups of them...LOL...I am looking for something to snack on other than chips and "stuff"...and thought rasins...should be good right...thought about snacking through the day and pulled the # out of the air...sorry
  • jsstein19
    jsstein19 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I discovered the same calorie shocker..... after using a 1/2 cup in a recipe and doing the calculation. I had no idea they had that many calories. Let's assume it was a recipe entry for many reasons:-)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    There are worse things to blow your calories on. Raisins are very nutrient rich. Just take it as a lesson learned about portion sizes and take a walk. Drink some water to help move that extra fiber out and you will be fine.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    lol, I've eaten two cups of raisins in one sitting before. Thanks for the heads up though. I'll not be doing that again.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    should have checked the nutrition value before you started eating..just saying

and for the sugar, yeah they are soaked in suryp, raisins and all dried fruits are supposed to be added for taste to other food, not eaten alone, as they have no nutritional value.

actually they have a lot of nutritional value, saying they don't is like saying that the fruit they come from doesn't, they are full of vitamins and minerals. You are right that they are best mixed with lower cal lower sugar foods, and not eaten in large quantities on their own.
  • kowskey
    kowskey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sorry let me clarify...

Didn't sit and eat two cups of them...LOL...I am looking for something to snack on other than chips and "stuff"...and thought rasins...should be good right...thought about snacking through the day and pulled the # out of the air...sorry

Thank goodness. I am now less worried about you and anyone who must share your bathroom. ;-)
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Thank goodness. I am now less worried about...your bathroom. ;-)
    Yeah. That thing would have been ruined.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Overeating is overeating whether it's veggies, meat or ice cream - granted that's a huge generalization but when it comes right down to it, one may be healthier than the other but if you're eating 8 times the normal portion size of any food, the result is going to be about the same.

One thing I learned in Weight Watchers is that not all healthy food is alike. You'd be able to eat a lot more grapes than raisins for the same amount of calories and likely feel fuller because of all the water content. Balancing out quality and quantity can sometimes get you much better bang for your calorie "buck".
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    lol @ "the good kind"