Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Delicious! That broth is magical.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I love pho! Nothing to be afraid of:tongue: trust me, I heard dim sum was amazing but they put some scary things on my plate. I do see how it might be a little freaky since one of the bowls had "beef tendon" but if you just pick something like beef tenderloin, it comes raw and then cooks in the soup, it's sliced very thin. If that sounds unappealing to you, you can go vegetarian. Then you add the sirachi (sp?) to make it as hot as you want.
    I always want pho when I have a stuffy nose or sore throat, it is so soothing, it's like the only thing I can taste when I am sick. yum!
  • kbrand45
    Options
    I think it's Basil leaves on the side - anyway - put all the veggies in and watch those hot peppers - I can only do about 2 but the soup is wonderful!! They have choices of meat - and they offer tripe - I have never eaten tripe so I just order the beef. The portion is very large but don't think that you have to eat it all - it's good reheated later. Try it - you'll more than likely love it but if not - it's not very expensive! If you're new to it the waitress/waiter will help you - they are patient for the most part!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Definitely one of my favorite foods.
  • chchchangess
    Options
    looooove it, but it's so hard to find a place that has 100% vegetarian pho. :( word of caution to vegetarians/vegans: even if the pho doesn't have any meat in it, they usually use beef broth and I've found that many times they can't substitute that because it's what gives it that unique taste I guess.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    So asclkjascjalkc mindblowingly amazing. Especially in the winter. Try it with shrimp!
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Pho.. one of the most delicious noodle soups out there! It is Vietnamese beef noodle soup. It tastes much better then it looks... I recommend you try
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared of the soup- it's wonderful!

Another Thai option is Tom Yum- a hot and sour soup.
  • Tommyboi682
    Tommyboi682 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    pho = happiness!!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Pho is one of my favorite foods. I used to eat it 2-3 times per week. Will probably go get some soon.

Any experienced Pho eaters have a guess on calorie count for a large bowl of pho with lean steak? Obviously there's a range to it but I was estimating in the 1000 range for a big bowl.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    'eh, I don't find it that great. Actually some friends are going for lunch today and I declined.
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I will get flamed: Its overrated!! Its good, but I don't get why people make such a hype over it. I've had a lot of pho from many different places. Sure its tasty broth and fresh basil and bean sprouts..but I am not a fan of the white noodles. I usually swap theem for egg noodles.

A soup that I think is amazing and wayyy better than pho is a Korean soup called Suh Lung Tang(sp?). Its a broth made from bones boiled for hours til it turns milky white. It comes with mixed beef innards or just plain slices of beef and virmicelli noodles. The broth comes unsalted so you unsalted so you add how ever much sea salt and green onionss as you like! Sorry for the wonky spelling, my phone browser is weird on MFP.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Pho is one of my favorite foods. I used to eat it 2-3 times per week. Will probably go get some soon.

Any experienced Pho eaters have a guess on calorie count for a large bowl of pho with lean steak? Obviously there's a range to it but I was estimating in the 1000 range for a big bowl.

I eat beef pho often and estimate it's 600-700 calories for a large take out container size (I think it is one quart size).

Upthread someone said to watch out if you are vegetarian- pho at its essence is meat broth. Vegetarian pho isn't pho. It is pho chay, or as I call it, faux pho. :bigsmile:
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options

I eat beef pho often and estimate it's 600-700 calories for a large take out container size (I think it is one quart size).

Upthread someone said to watch out if you are vegetarian- pho at its essence is meat broth. Vegetarian pho isn't pho. It is pho chay, or as I call it, faux pho. :bigsmile:

I agree, I put pho (even a large portion of it the way they usually serve it in restaurants) at ~700 calories. The majority of it is going to come from the noodles. If your restaurants are anything like ours around here, they don't really go heavy on the meat. :sad:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

I use this database entry, and I usually get a medium
    Pho Hoa/Tai - Fresh Sliced Beef Pho

I dunno, the calorie count may be a bit optimistic....
  • odessablondie
    odessablondie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    <3<3<3 Pho!!!!!
  • twynzmom
    twynzmom Posts: 172
    Options
    thanks
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I wish it was easier to find vegetarian or seafood versions. I love noodle soups.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I like it, but whoa, I can have a little and be knocked out cold like I had a huge meal or something.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    PHO is PHOcking DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!