Early morning workouts

Options
13»

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Regarding eating before, I was told by a trainer friend of mine to have an apple or something low glycemic at least 30 mins before I work out, and someone else suggested a pickle when I was doing a really intense workout for a while that made me feel like I was going to pass out. If it's just my normal 40-45 min workout, like Turbo Jam, I just drink a big glass of water before and another during, then I have a protein/carb afterward.
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have in the past kept my workouts between 9am and 5pm otherwise I don't have the energy. My schedule varies- though I like to do them in earlier hours. Some days I will have very few things I must do outside of getting exercise in so I get what I need done and try to devote the day to pure activity. Sounds crazy but I love those days! I get so much out of it and lots of energy. Lately I've been sick so I have not done hardcore workouts for a while. I go to bed between 10pm - midnight if possible. Though I often wake up several times in the night as well. Hope this is any help.
  • 2dogsnocats
    Options
    I'm up at 5 and go to sleep by 9....
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You can do...I wake up at 4 am on Monday Wednesday and Friday to get my lifting done since I start work at 6 am...as long as you aren't sleeping less than 6 hours (which I am guilty of sometimes, but that's my own fault since I stay up late doing nothing important), you should be totally fine :)
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Up at 5:15, at the gym at 5:45 on weekdays.

weekends, I usually sleep in.
  • Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    This is what my day looks like:

5:45 AM Alarm goes off, I snooze 3 times until...
    6:00 AM Wake up , brush teeth, put on workout gear
    6:15 AM Start workout
    7:15/7:30 AM Finish Workout
    7:30-7:45 Eat breakfast

I get to bed by 10PM most nights. Depending on how intense my workout is, I may eat a banana or drink half a protein shake before I work out but most days I just get up and workout and eat immediately afterward.

I love morning workouts! You get them out of the way and feel so good throughout your day. The first week may be hard to get up, but now it's like clockwork to me.

Good luck!
  • kerriavr
    kerriavr Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I get up at 0445, Monday thru Friday and I generally go to be around 9 p.m. I try to sleep in a little later on the weekends. ;)
  • dansing83
    dansing83 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:45 four days a week to go to cardio and weight lifting classes at my gym before work. I go to bed by 9pm. Sometimes it's hard getting up, but I love getting my workout done and over in the morning. I'm not a big fan of deprivation, I enjoy my food, so I need regular exercise to keep me on track. In addition, since I've restarted my weight lifting classes, my arms and waist are getting smaller. :)
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    due to the time change, i actually just started working out in the mornings all this week. I'm up at 5am and on the treadmill by 5:15am. I do 45 mts intervals. shower by 6am and have a banana and coffee by 6:30am. I like it so far. It gives me better control on my calories during the day. On the evenings I do strength training.
  • ShampooIsBetter
    Options
    this thread has inspired me. i have had such a hard time getting motivated to go to the gym. i generally hate to be around a lot of people, and my old gym in kentucky was a ghost town from 9pm-11. I would show up and feel comfy and alone the entire time. But now that I have moved to San Diego, my new gym is like a frat house during that time. i dont feel comfortable at all and cant get my mind dedicated to getting a good workout. I'm gonna drink my nighttime tea at 8pm and set my clock for 4:30. i hope to find a more welcoming gym at that wee hour.
  • SuperSnoopy
    SuperSnoopy Posts: 3,464 Member
    Options
    Most mornings I'm up at about 5 am, have a bowl of bran flakes or shredded wheat etc no sugar, a cup of decaf tea with fully skimmed milk NO SUGAR, a small piece of melon and a quarter of a grapefruit.
    1 piece of toasted wholemeal bread with low fat spread.

Then its off to the gym about 0630 for about 1 1/4 hours Mainly cardio work and I tend to be in bed at about 9.30 to 10:30 pm most nights.
    The gym work is hard, but then it supposed to be and I lost about 30 lbs in five months with this routine and am now stuck at about 154lbs (71.3Kg) and just cant seem to shift the flabby skin around my midriff.

I always go to the gym first thing before work or other things such as shopping etc. Long answer sorry about that.
  • xALEXANDROx
    xALEXANDROx Posts: 3,416 Member
    Options
    depends on my schedule at work.2 weeks bed @ 10 p.m up @ 4 a.m......1 week work out evenings if have energy but not really.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I can't eat before running/working out. It makes me ill.

So I eat breakfast at work around 8 or 8:30 - coffee and either a smoothie I made at home or oatmeal that I make at my desk.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm up by 5 in the AM and do my first workout. I try to get done before I have to get the kids up - it doesn't always workout, but they are good. I also will workout at my lunch hour. And have just started an evening Thai Chi class. I find if I miss my AM workout, I'm testy until I get it in. I go to be at 10 at the latest.
  • LoriB57
    LoriB57 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Used to go to the gym everynight after work.. I am in sales and the traffic is murder in my area, so I was always stressing over getting to 5:30pm or 6:30PM spinning or kickboxing, but the gym was 5 minutes from my house. I moved and now the closest classes are 30 minutes away. Last year I started P90X at 5am, and also walking & running. Now I can hardly stand to leave my workouts to afterwork, it is sooooooooooo nice to be DONE ! Free to shop, visit, happy hour, facebook...like now, I SHOULD BE DOING Jillian 30DS, which I have switched to for a few months. Get up 30 minutes earlier to BE DONE ,,,,you betcha!
    PS I go to sleep between 10 & 11. I ONLY watch TV shows that have been DVRed so I can miss commericals or rewatch what I mnight snooze through...Try it !