Trying to get rid of my wings.....

Options
What other excersises can I do to tone up the back of my arms. Do I just lift weights and do tricep excersises? Will that do it? Should I be doing it everyday? I really want to tone my arms more.

Thanks for any input!

Replies

• Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • madubil
    madubil Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I really hope someone replies to this- I too am capable of flight...
  • DDsMrs
    DDsMrs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'd love to see the replies on your question. I wave to myself in the mirror everyday, UGH!!!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Chest Flies
  • aims78
    aims78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Triceps are great exercises to do, but you want to get your whole arm, not just the "wings" LOL... I have my wings still too, but I still have a long way to go.. But that is the advice I have gotten from my personal trainer several times.. Free weights are great to help with it as welll
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    my trainer said this is often the last place to firm up...just keep at it....not much comfort, but lots of triceps work and overall wt loss is the key he says....he who has never had a flabby upper arm in his life....grrrrrrr
  • JackKsavestheday
    JackKsavestheday Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    lol my mom calls em bat wings!! ive been told that high number of reps with very little weight(2lbs) does the trick. tricep bicep etc
  • JennBrown83
    JennBrown83 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    hey! I used to worry about waving while standing next to my fiance in case my "wing" whacked him in the face LOL. I work out at my gym and use the cross-trainer/elliptical thingy cuz I can exercise my arms as well as my legs, also I do the tricep extension. doing any strength training every day isn't really recommended cuz you're not giving your boday enough time to recover so I'd say every other day, even if you're using a lower weight. hope this helps!

Also, I have noticed a lot of toning happening and my wings are like half the size they used to be and that's just in a few months... it's SO awesome to have my arms looking good again, I am getting married in just over 11 months and my dress is sleeveless so this is great!
  • kyliecakes0405
    kyliecakes0405 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't do toning/strength exercises everyday. Every other day is good. It gives your muscles time to relax and repair. Some routines I do to work my triceps are:

Tricep Dumbbell Kickbacks
    Dumbbell Tricep Extension
    Tricep Bench Dips

I do 3 sets of 10 - 12. Always start with a light weight and work yourself up and take 1 to 2 min break between sets.

Hope this helps.
  • kiltbunny
    kiltbunny Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    There's no real "firm" (haha I'm so funny) answer to this question. Really, you just have to keep working towards toning your entire body (not just the butt, tummy and arms). I myself feel like I'm wearing one of those miltary flying suits all the time, but I have noticed some shrinking the more and more I work my entire body out.
  • JOANIE69
    JOANIE69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    im starting off with my two weights of 2.5 lbs each weight adding up to 5lbs totalis this ok for a beginner can anyone please tell me as im lost .joanie
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I agree with whats being said. Continue cardio ffor over all weightloss and do toning exercise every other day. I liek to use a chair to do tricep dips b/c it also works my abs and thighs.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing the right kind of exercise. Probably just a matter of time.

Note that for strength you can try pull-ups. hard to get started but a great way to gain overall arm strength.

Also, in my JKD class we use small weights (3 - 5 lbs) one in each hand. Extend your arms out in an extended fighting stance, feet parallel, back straight. Then rotate over each hand with the weights like you are chain punching (Never bring back one hand closer to your chest than the opposite elbow). Start with 3 sets of 30 seconds and slowly increase the time as you get used to the exercise. Once it becomes "easy" increase the weight.

This is a rough exercise at the beginning but gets easier as you get used to it.

It is a great way to improve strength along your whole arm.

Good luck and have fun!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • RedHeadChick
    RedHeadChick Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You should tone the area with tricep exercises, but most importantly I think good nutrition plays a huge roll. I have not worked too hard to get my arms in shape as I have been working on my lower half. However my arms are shrinking along with the rest of me, because I have modified my diet and really incorporated some great nutrition. It is soooo important!
  • Leviram
    Options
    I heard these do wonders!

Santolanasana (Balancing pose):
    Method: Sit on your heels. Inhale. Exhale to lean forward to place palms flat on ground going on all fours. Continue breathing normally. Lift knees off the floor. Straighten legs and hold pose steadily, breathing normally throughout. Hold your attention on some spot a few feet in front of you, on the floor. This helps maintain balance for longer. Rest by kneeling back on the floor. Repeat for a few times. After sufficient practice lengthen duration in the final pose for gaining true impact.
    Benefits: The arms get toned.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Swimming. Freestyle.
  • aingersoll07
    aingersoll07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    hey! I used to worry about waving while standing next to my fiance in case my "wing" whacked him in the face LOL.

This cracked me up!!! I nearly peed on myself.

Thanks for the advice. ;)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    If I can add one point to the above comments, it is to dispell the myth that lifting heavy weights will give you big guns, and light weights will help you 'tone up'. You either build muscle or not, if you want to tone up the arms dont be afraid to build a bit of muscle and get out the heaviest weights you can.

A mix of weight training to build the muscle and correct diet to reduce the fat is the best way to see results.