I don't know how to use the machines at the gym...

Options
I started going back to the gym recently. I mainly do cardio using the elliptical, treadmill or stair stepper. I don't know how to use the bikes. I want to make sure I am positioning the seat right etc..and I don't want to look dumb lol.
I also want to start doing strength training. I have no clue how to use some of the machines.
I see the sticker with instructions but it gets intimidating when people are waiting on the
machine and I am just trying to figure it out :/ I am also interested in the area where they have mats
And balls and stuff..but I don't really know what kinda workouts to do. Maybe I am getting
ahead of myself. SO comes with me and he stays on the weights side, but I feel like he gets frustrated
teaching me. So..how did you all learn how to use all the equipment?

Replies

• sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I asked the people who work there. They won't bite!! That's what they are there for.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Ask a trainer to show you. If they aren't willing to do that without charging you for a personal training session, find another gym - STAT.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I asked the people who work there. They won't bite!! That's what they are there for.

This! They should also be able to tell you when some not-so-busy times are so that you won't feel stressed or self-conscious when learning how to use the equipment.
  • felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You should receive at least an orientation at the gym to show you how to use the machines, etc. I would not hesitate to ask the gym personnel to help. You paid for a membership and deserve to get the most from it. :flowerforyou:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Well, for me... I just waited til it was later at night (my gym is 24/7), went in and looked at everything. I tried it all out when there wasn't anyone waiting to use the machines.

Since I don't tend to go to the gym when the workers are there - I figured it out for myself. :)
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    Definitely ask the folk that work there! I just started at the gym at my work & they did me a full workout & explained all the machines and what needed to be set for each one. Naturally I forgot most of it the next time I went & I just asked the person on the desk again :-)

You should be able to get at the very least an introductory session on how everything works. You may also be able to get a workout programme from them - I know when I went to my gym the guy asked what my goals were & what sort of things I liked so that I got a workout that suited my goals, times & me :-)

Best of luck with it :-)
  • celewis2011
    celewis2011 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    watch what other ppl are doing ! our gym has a ton of personal trainers we got one free session when we joined.
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of employees sitting down at their desks, but I thought they were personal trainers?? I have no monies for that.
  • gailosborne
    Options
    I made an appointment with someone who worked at the gym to help me set up a weights routiene and make sure I was using everything properly. =)
  • sunshinesher01
    sunshinesher01 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    At most gyms there is always a Gym orientation where they show you how to use the machines. We joined the YMCA, and they showed us how to used all the weight machines, and how to set them correctly, then asked if there were any other machines or work outs we had questions with. And then there is always someone working in the work out room, so if you have questions you can ask them. So if you see a personal trainer walking around your gym, just go up to them and tell them that you had some questions about the equipment and you have never used it before, and they will be able to either help you right then, or set up a time to meet with you and show you. They look pretty intimidating, but all the ones I have met and worked with are all really nice and love helping. Good luck!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    The machines have the little picture diagrams to help you. Seriously, I had to refer to that more than once. I'm a free weight guy
  • mmmarsden
    Options
    The trainers in your gym are your best bet, but if you, for whatever reason, find it hard to talk to them you could always write the name of the machine/exercise down and search YouTube for a vid showing you proper form. While this isn't perfect it can be a good stepping stone to get you comfortable with new equipment/exercises.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    I ask, or I watch while the person in front of me is doing their thing. Usually you can learn a lot this way. There are lots of websites that have great workout routines mapped out for you, and you can look on youtube to see the correct use of most machines, or exercises with free weights for each muscle group. Just remember that you have as much right to the machines (with or without knowledge) as any of the other people there.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Most gyms have people who are trained and will walk you through how to use the equipment at no extra cost. You could always just ask them for help. I feel intimidated too, so sometimes the first few times I want to try something new I'll go to the gym when I know there will be less people there so I don't feel as silly. Once I'm comfortable, I start incorporating it into my daily fitness.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    A lot of gyms have an 'orientation' session when a new member joins. You are going to have to gird up your spirit and speak up.... no one is going to volunteer to show you unless you ask. So inquire about an orientation or a single session with a personal trainer to teach you how to use the machines.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    The employees at the gym have an obligation to show you the safe and proper way to use their equipment.
    If they do not, find the person who sold you the membership, and politely ask for your money back.
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am not sure of proper gym etiquette and whatnot, but I will definitely ask
    an employee now! I've had my membership for years so my orientation is long gone..actually
    I don't even remember getting one!
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't work out as often as I do, but every once in a while he comes with me and shows me how to use the various machines (he did a lot of weightlifting in his younger days). Today we noticed some great new equipment for doing squats and rows. He also gave me some new routines using kettle bells.
    If you don't have a spouse or friend to show you, ask around at the gym. If you have paid money to join, it is the gym's responsibility to provide someone to show you how to use the equipment. Do not be afraid to ask. If you want more than just a quick run-through, you might also consider hiring a personal trainer who works at your gym. I once paid about $100 for three sessions with a trainer, and I thought it was money well-spent because he helped me set goals and customize routines for various muscle groups.
    Also you might see if there's a friendly looking person working out on a piece of equipment that you would like to use and simply ask if he/she could show you how to use it. It's a great way to meet new people and get some pointers.
    In any case, do not feel intimidated about asking for help. Classes and cardio equipment are fine, but to get the most out of your gym membership, you need to work out with free weights and other weight machines as well. Once you feel comfortable using them, you will love going to the gym and doing your own workout, custom-designed for you.