Track for the rest of you life??

Options
I realize that when we track on here we pay more attention to what/how much we are eating.....
There are so many different 'ideas' out there about how to lose and keep weight off....
Do you see yourself tracking food/exercise for the rest of your life?

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I know it's a longggg way to go, hopefully, but honestly...YES!

It is the only way I have successfully been able to lose weight and keep healthy.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i do. maybe not on this site - but in some form i see myself tracking intake/output
  • cassblue21
    Options
    I see myself getting to my goal weight and trying to keep up the same habits but not tracking unless it becomes a problem and I start gaining from not entering in every bite. But I would like to get to the point that I do not have to track anymore and I can stay near my goal. :)
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes! That's the only way I'm going to stay on track. :smile:
  • mtienken
    Options
    I plan on tracking until I get to my goal weight and then maybe for another month to "set" my weight. After that I will quit but I will continue to work out where I weigh myself every day and if I put back a pound or two, I'll start tracking again to shave them off. That's my plan anyway.
  • norma67
    norma67 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    For me most likely yes. I have a bad habit of forgetting to eat or eating and forgetting that I did have that. Which is why I have been up and down in my weight all of my life.

I have noticed since I track I am watching more what I do and try to make it healthier.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I am really hoping that over time I will develop better balance skills and be able to judge healthy without tracking.

However, Tracking my food is the number one thing that works for me in weight loss. Track ! track ! Track!
  • chickenpoppa
    chickenpoppa Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I plan on tracking until I get to my goal weight and then maybe for another month to "set" my weight. After that I will quit but I will continue to work out where I weigh myself every day and if I put back a pound or two, I'll start tracking again to shave them off. That's my plan anyway.

what he said:-)
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I don't. I think like any habit, once you do it long enough, you will be able to eat healthily without out having the numbers.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    My plan when I get to my goal is to keep tracking every day for the first few months, then just keep weighing myself every day after that. If my weight goes up even 100g, I'll track my food and exercise each day until it's down again.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Maybe not as closely as I do right now but I think that after you do it for a while when you get to your maintenance weight it becomes a habit and second nature, so even if you don't actively track every day you'll still have changed some habits and will still pay attention to what you do and eat from now on.

This journey has been one of enlightenment to me and I expect the knowledge I gain here daily to stay with me throughout my life.
  • mandimoore617
    mandimoore617 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

what he said:-)

Agreed.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I would think that over time, tracking your diet and exercise will become such a habit that
    you may find you don't need to rely so much on the information.

However, it's always a good idea that if you stop tracking for a bit to log in to check up on how you are doing.

And lastly, if you tracking becomes necessary to live a healthy life, so be it! So many people need to take medications
    daily for the rest of their life. Isnt this a much better alternative?! 80)
  • magdamccraven
    magdamccraven Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I will most likely track for the rest of my life, even if it is in a little pocket notebook or something like that. I think I would start playing games with myself if I didn't and telling myself that I really hadn't eaten that much.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I will track faithfully until I reach my goal weight. Then, I imagine I'll need at least 6 months of maintenance to kind of determine the best calorie level to maintain. I would like to get to a point where I can maintain without having to log everyday. It might be that maybe I log the first week of every month just to make sure I'm staying on track. I'll have to wait and see and how maintenance goes and whether I feel I can keep it in check without logging all the time. But if I find I need to track daily for the rest of my life, I will.
  • APDynes
    Options
    I plan on stopping once I hit my goal. I was a flabby 255 and got down to a decently built 200. I slowly have crept back up to 240 over a period of 4 - 5 years because I stopped exercising. My goal is to return to where I was 5 years ago, 200 and a decent build, except this time I don't plan on stopping exercising. I believe as long as I maintain a good 3 - 4 times a week routine and I don't pig out every meal I'll be fine. Especially if I have a good muscle base to keep my metabolism up.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think I will probably track for a while after I get to where I want to be, and then just keep an eye on my weight and how I look in the mirror. If I start to gain a little I'll do what I need to do. Like someone said before, I think it will be like any other habit.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I've been in maintenance mode for four months and am bobbing around at a good weight. One of the great things about being healthy is that I can run again (I'm heading out the door in a few) and I need to track my calories, consumed and expended.

I like this site and hope that MFP continues to improve. If it does, I would anticipate that I'll be logging in for another few decades (I'm 55 now so I've only got about 25 years before I quit running).
  • ImJDLookatME
    Options
    When I get to my goal weight, I plan on strictly tracking on the weekdays but being free on the weekends. I am hoping that it will balance out and I will be able to maintain. :)
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    If I'm being honest with myself, yes, if I truly want to hold myself accountable and keep the weight off, I will need to track. I may not track every single day, but as many days as possible. Otherwise I become complacent and go back to my old ways. That's how I ended up in this mess in the first place!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!