How are you planning on Surviving Thanksgiving dinner?

Options
2»

Replies

• JennyJacobsen
    JennyJacobsen Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    U can still do Thanksgiving Dinner U just need to make sure that U workout to compensate for the calories!
  • pnnysinger
    pnnysinger Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I beleive in enjoying the holiday and letting it go fora day. Then back to the nxt day. Its only one day and you can simply have small portions of what you like. I bet you'll be fine. I would log it in or it will freak you out. You'll be fine and just enjoy the time wiht family and friends. Thas my take on it.
  • nrimas
    nrimas Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I find I eat a lot of things just because they are there. I try to ask myself, "Is this going to be the best I've ever had?" Are those crunk sweet potatoes, or just average, run-of-the-mill sweet potatoes. If it looks like it is going to be fabulous, then I have no regrets. After all, I've had 50 years of Thanksgiving meals. Is it going to kill me if I don't eat mashed potatoes? Probably not. I use this same strategy at weddings and other buffets. I've had it all a bunch of times. Now is the time to choose the really good stuff!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Day before Thanksgiving...logging/exercising/eating normally
    Thanksgiving...no logging/exercising/enjoying the food in moderation
    Day after Thanksgiving...back to normal!
    my plans too

This is my plan, with a slight modification. I will get some exercise that day because my kids and I will take our bikes to my parents' house. We are also not eating until about 7:00 (have to wait for my sister to finish her shift at the ER that day). I'll eat healthy throughout the day; by the time we eat our actual dinner, I won't be as likely to overeat since I will have eaten throughout the day.

I think it's totally possible to eat well that day without having to count. I want my focus that day to be on my kids and my family and the things I have to be thankful for.
  • Chelly02
    Chelly02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

That's my plan also! I'd be super blown if i missed out on my favorite foods that i only get when certain family members come around. Lol
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I am going with portion control, smart sides, and no dessert.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    splurge
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

This.

And give the leftovers away to other people. I will have the white meat turkey and other healthy options in my fridge, but the pumpkin pie is going home with my mother-in-law (for example).

I refuse to opt out of the meal, but I plan on making it just ONE MEAL and not the 4 days of overeating the leftovers that I have done in the past.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have 2 dinners to go to!!! And I plan on eating my grandmother's pecan pie and my mother in law's pumpkin pie! That is all I might eat! LOL!! But I am going to workout pretty hard that am....and get back on track the next day!!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i'm doing a 5k that morning. and then enjoying the day.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The only difference for me will be that I won't be weighing my food to get exact measurements because I will be at a friend's house (we're having Thanksgiving on Saturday following). My friends all know that I'm trying to have a healthier lifestyle and they support me, but I'm sure I'll try a little of everything... including the alcohol! Enjoy yourself... work it off... live your life!
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    First off, I am going to try to hit the gym beforehand or walk a mile or two to give me some slack. I'll prepare the desserts beforehand (thus keeping me out of the kitchen while the bird and other dishes are being made). I am also going to try and keep myself slightly stuffed with hummus, or maybe a smoothie---anything low cal to keep me from picking off the food while I prepare it (i.e. nibbling on a piece or two of cheese as I put together the macaroni that I so foolishly volunteered to make this year).

I'm already thinking of different ways I can approach this. I'm thinking of all the foods. There are those that I cut some slack on (turkey and gravy), and then those that I attack mercilessly (macaroni and cheese, dressing, and... don't look at me weird when I say this----chitterlings). I'm going to eat more of the veggies, gear towards the white meat and serve the gravy with a teaspoon instead of the ladle. I'm going to cut my portions in half..... of maybe just erase a few dishes just so I can eat the full portion of chitterlings. @__@; It's confusing.
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    my plans too

This is my plan too! 2xs a year I don't care Thanksgiving and Christmas!
  • ImJDLookatME
    Options
    my plans too

This is my plan too! 2xs a year I don't care Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Thanks for all your posts. I think I like this idea the best, but I AM going to go for a cardio workout for an hour. My gym has a Last Chance Cycling class on Thanksgiving. Love it!
  • PRprincess
    PRprincess Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Doing a two hour workout in the morning.
    Tracking and eating in moderation.
    Spending time with family and going for a walk after dinner.(Hopefully not to cold out)
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating my weight in turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and anything else that gets put in front of me.
    The day after I'll poop it all out and go for a run or ride.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    8k Running Race the morning of Thanksgiving Day!