Food Stamps

Options
I noticed that a lot of people who are on food stamps buy a lot of junk food. Why? I mean, it's money that's free to them; shouldn't they use it for healthy food? And how come a lot of people who are on food stamps either overweight or obese? Just an observation, so don't overreact. I know not ALL people on food stamps are obese.

P.S. The other day I saw a couple buying tons of junk food - frozen pizzas, all kinds of unhealthy frozen dinners, sugary cereals, pop tarts, cream cheese, cinnamon rolls, chips, soda - in other words, all the food I wish I could eat. Anyway, they paid all that in food stamps, then they had a seperate transaction with beer and cigarettes and they paid that in cash. WTF?? They have enough money for that??

Replies

• Mickyboo1
    Options
    I used to work in a grocery store. You'd be amazed to see what people buy with food stamps. For instance... $200 in food and spend $50 + on booze and cigs.
  • jazzdspazz
    jazzdspazz Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Poor people have more of a tendancy to be obease, because food that is bad for you, is cheaper, and less educated people tend to be poor people, and are less educated about nutrition, Google it!
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    That sounds like the majority of shopping carts in the US no matter how they pay, hence our obesity problem :wink:

They would also have to have a seperate transaction for alcohol and cigarettes as SNAP doesn't cover that. Addiction can be a powerful thing.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Poor people have more of a tendancy to be obease, because food that is bad for you, is cheaper, and less educated people tend to be poor people, and are less educated about nutrition, Google it!

This is true.
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    I don't think you need much of an education to realize that chips, soda, and pizza for dinner will result in rapid weight-gain. But yeah, I agree that maybe healthier food is cheaper, but the money is free to them, so I don't think they do it for the fact that it's cheap. BUT who am I to judge. I used to be obese, and even though I wasn't on food stamps, I constantly made unhealthy choices because food made me happy. Maybe people on food stamps already have low self-esteem and are ashamed, so they stuff themselves just like I did?
  • crazygirl78
    Options
    Wow, you must have really been stalking those poor people to have such a report on their grocery experience! Obviously they have issues you would not understand unless you have been there. They don't need you staring them down while they shop.
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    But yeah, I agree that maybe healthier food is cheaper, but the money is free to them, so I don't think they do it for the fact that it's cheap.
    Healthy food costs more than unhealthy food and food stamps don't pay for alcohol & non-food items. And yes, the money is free to people who have food stamps, but $300-$400/month is not a lot for food for a family. Trying to get as much food for as cheap as possible is a real concern.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a grocery store. You'd be amazed to see what people buy with food stamps. For instance... $200 in food and spend $50 + on booze and cigs.

I've also worked in a grocery store. You can't buy booze and cigs with food stamps
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I wish I had some food stamps right now. I could eat some pizza and chips.
  • JackKsavestheday
    JackKsavestheday Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I wish I had some food stamps right now. I could eat some pizza and chips.

hahaha! me too
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    I know that food stamps don't buy beer and cigarettes, but my point is if they have enough cash for beer and cigarettes, they shouldn't be getting food stamps. Those $50 they spent on booze & ciggys could go towards their food, instead.
  • krissagirl0709
    krissagirl0709 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Need to educate the importance of eating healthy...that is "meals" to them...until they see they are horrbly unhealthy from in I doubt it will change..I think some things just need to be eliminated like we shouldnt allow that money to go for basic junk like candy, chips, soda... we would probably see less medical problems insurance wise to then.. im not saying to occasional snack is bad but sometimes its alot more then occasional.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I worked as a cashier for Wal-Mart for a few years ago. I agree, it is a bit disturbing to see a couple buy $200 in soda and frozen pizza with food stamps and then purchase a carton of cigarettes, electronics and other miscellaneous items with cash. Of course, during the year I worked there, I saw a lot of customers purchasing relatively healthy food with food stamps and using their cash for diapers, laundry detergent, etc.

People with food stamps are no different than people without. There are plenty of people with higher incomes who only buy junk food.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I live on frozen dinners...oops! :noway:
  • kiminita
    kiminita Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Thank you for this. I am a sociologist...and yes, it is VERY important to look at the social conditions from which people arise, and what they DO and DO NOT have access to. Beer and cigarettes are expensive, but EVERYONE has their own vice. Middle class people probably have their own vice that are RELATIVELY the same price. Anyway, these observations are YOUR observations, and cannot be generalized.
  • kiminita
    kiminita Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I worked as a cashier for Wal-Mart for a few years ago. I agree, it is a bit disturbing to see a couple buy $200 in soda and frozen pizza with food stamps and then purchase a carton of cigarettes, electronics and other miscellaneous items with cash. Of course, during that year I worked there I saw a lot of customers purchasing relatively healthy food with food stamps and using their cash for diapers, laundry detergent, etc.

People with food stamps are no different than people without. There are plenty of people with higher incomes who only buy junk food.

Nice to see this type of response! Respect!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

I've also worked in a grocery store. You can't buy booze and cigs with food stamps

Ditto.

I always knew who the food stamp customers were by the mountain of crap in the cart, sad to say. WIC at least had restrictions on items.

P.S. Not saying this to be mean, but it was universally true when I worked in a grocery store in college.
  • curlyclo
    Options
    I know that food stamps don't buy beer and cigarettes, but my point is if they have enough cash for beer and cigarettes, they shouldn't be getting food stamps. Those $50 they spent on booze & ciggys could go towards their food, instead.

I don't know... I think that's a really over-simplified view of people's lives and situations.
  • curlyclo
    Options
    I worked as a cashier for Wal-Mart for a few years ago. I agree, it is a bit disturbing to see a couple buy $200 in soda and frozen pizza with food stamps and then purchase a carton of cigarettes, electronics and other miscellaneous items with cash. Of course, during that year I worked there I saw a lot of customers purchasing relatively healthy food with food stamps and using their cash for diapers, laundry detergent, etc.

Nice to see this type of response! Respect!

Exactly.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options

^^^ What they said.
This discussion has been closed.