Finally Postin My Success - Am I done yet??? w Pics

Options
So I have put off posting about my success..as I am a perfectionist and was pushing to hit a lower goal, but have decided - I think I am there now :)

I started this journey on MFP in September 2010 - @ 181 lbs, which may not seem that high (I am 5'8) but I was always tiny in my teens, then got pregnant and just continued to gain weight over the years....I was slightly active, walking, hiking and going to zumba classes...but never really lost any weight....and was not happy with my size at all...

I joined MFP and the local Y in September...and almost exactly a year later hit my goal of losing 41 lbs and hit 140. I am currently at 138 and have been there for over a month..was trying to get to 135 but I am either at a plateau or maybe at my goal weight?? I have gone from a size 16 - to a 4!!!...

Some of the things I have learned over my journey are:

1. Sodium is bad..if I have to choose between higher calories and lower sodium - I always choose lower sodium as I can up my calories allowed...but that dreaded 2500 mg never moves, no matter how much you excericse.
2. Try new foods...I have discovered I love asparagus, greek yogury, hummus, cauliflower....always look for more healthier options.
3. Read every label in the grocery store to get the best product.
4. Stay away from frozen, prepared meals like lean cuisines, canned soup, etc...you can eat so much more filling foods that you prepare yourself.
5. Treat yourself...you can eat WHATEVER you want on this plan...within reason and if you budget your calories..if I was going out for dinner I would plan for it - workout great that day to have extra calories, and work out great the next day to balance it out...no food is forbidden.
6. Weigh and measure everything - you would be suprised how much you are off, whether up or down.
7. Be careful when choosing foods from the database....80% of the items are incorrect!! Search for the right one compared to your food label...and avoid anything with an "astericks" in front of it...that means someone else added it and it may not be correct.
8. Get a protein shake - it is great for your muscle recovery, curbing your hunger after workouts - so many benefits...and it will not make women gain weight

Excercise:
1. I do not own a HRM (I bought a couple but ended up returning them as they did not work right)...so I rely on MFP for calories burned..which we all know usually overestimates your burn....so my rule of thumb was to eat 50-75 % of my calories burned - but I always ate when I was hungry..
2. Strength Training is key...most people kill themselves with cardio...my rule of thumb is the same amount of time spent on cardio as weight training...the long term benefits are huge, although muscle does not weigh more than fat (that is a myth, a pound of muscle is the same as a pound of fat) muscles are smaller - that is you will lose mega inches from strength training..I only lost 43 lbs, but I went down 12 sizes!!
3. Variety is the key to everything...if you do the same workout day in and day out, not only will you get bored, but your body will get used to it and will not have to work as hard to perform.....I have tried every class at my gym (kickboxing, spin, group power, step class, yoga, pilates, bootcamp....) My current workout regim changes constantly....hiking and squash are my favorites by far!!

Anyway, I have probably rambled enough, but I strongly believe this website was the key to my success and want to share that with everyone....here are the before and after pics I created..hopefully they post right..

Mebeforeandafter-1.jpg

BeforeandAfterSwimsuit-1.jpg

Replies

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!