Food Stamps

Options

Replies

• lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    'Thousands and thousands...' ? You don't know this for a fact, you're just tossing out words. What are your citations/sources for these facts?

How do you know you won't qualify for assistance? Go try.

Oh come on, don't deny it either. You think only a couple of people do this? Please.

& I did try. I don't qualify.

What kind of phone do you have? If you qualified, would you have thrown it out?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    'Thousands and thousands...' ? You don't know this for a fact, you're just tossing out words. What are your citations/sources for these facts?

Oh come on, don't deny it either. You think only a couple of people do this? Please.

We figured it out people. She's totally hating that she can't get them! HAHAH.

Wow, that was really low class. Way to go making fun of someone working for a living who can't get help when she needs it. Applause to you. Bet you feel better now.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

Try like a church food pantry, my FIL's church does this weekly, no questions asked :)
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I can't wait til someone starts analyzing every detail of the wealthy's behavior and how it's wrong and costing our government and ruining our country.

But they won't.

Because everyone wishes they were rich and it's fun to practice looking down on the peons by picking on the poor.

If I ever get real rich, I hope I'm not real mean to poor people, like I am now. :flowerforyou:
  • kiminita
    kiminita Posts: 150 Member
    Options

What kind of phone do you have? If you qualified, would you have thrown it out?

SERIOUSLY. Or your laptop. Or internet connection. Get rid of them when you do qualify because these are all things that take up money you earn that you could use to buy food. This way you won't spend other people's money unfairly.
  • kiminita
    Options

We figured it out people. She's totally hating that she can't get them! HAHAH.

Wow, that was really low class. Way to go making fun of someone working for a living who can't get help when she needs it. Applause to you. Bet you feel better now.

I do. Thanks love! <3
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    I KNOW people who are on food stamps and can pay for service for their iphone, cable, can afford to buy rims for their cars WHILE on food stamps. I'm f*cking poor, too. I'm not saying I'm better than them; why are you all putting words in my mouth? Hell, I wish I was on food stamps; I'm barely getting by myself. And what is this about analyzing the wealthy? I know they *kitten* up more than us poor folks.

Seriously, no matter what you say, I will not defend the couple over there who can afford to make payments on their 2009 SUV and service on their smart phone while paying for their food with food stamps, while I'm here with my sh*tty car, barely getting by and I don't qualify for gov't assistance. BS. I'm not making assumptions, I know people who do this. Live and let live? If we lived by that motto, we wouldn't care about what's happening on wallstreet.
  • jfloyd7
    jfloyd7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Maybe people on food stamps already have low self-esteem and are ashamed

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there. Not everyone on food stamps, but at least a majority. The fellow that said something about poor people are generally uneducated etc, is sort of hitting on the same point .... Knowing that you can't support yourself and/or your family without assistance is and/or should be a bit demoralizing. Once someone is at that point perhaps they don't really give a damn anymore.

**Note: I didn't realize this was 4 pages deep when I commented. I thought it was still on page one. I don't even know where the conversation is at this point. Sorry if I back tracked
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Wow, touchy subject.

I was going to jump in and make a comment about someone I know who's on food stamps and buys cookies, donuts, and cakes to feed her 3-year-old son. It irritates me--as "privileged" as I am--because the only difference between that person and me is that I never, ever wanted to be dependent upon the government or someone else for my livelihood, so I made different choices.

However, I also realize that there are people who've made smart choices who have lost their job, acquired an illness, or who've had an injury. These folks are the victims of bad circumstances, NOT bad choices.

It's impossible to generalize this, because for every person on food stamps who buys junk food, there is someone else who doesn't. For every person on food stamps who genuinely needs the assistance, there is someone who does not.

The problem is the system can't distinguish between the two, so a lot of money is wasted on those who don't need it, while lot of people who actually DO need it fall through the cracks and get no public assistance whatsoever. It's a broken system, because we base it on general circumstances, not the individual.
  • kiminita
    Options
    I KNOW people who are on food stamps and can pay for service for their iphone, cable, can afford to buy rims for their cars WHILE on food stamps. I'm f*cking poor, too. I'm not saying I'm better than them; why are you all putting words in my mouth? Hell, I wish I was on food stamps; I'm barely getting by myself. And what is this about analyzing the wealthy? I know they *kitten* up more than us poor folks.

Seriously, no matter what you say, I will not defend the couple over there who can afford to make payments on their 2009 SUV and service on their smart phone while paying for their food with food stamps, while I'm here with my sh*tty car, barely getting by and I don't qualify for gov't assistance. BS. I'm not making assumptions, I know people who do this. Live and let live? If we lived by that motto, we wouldn't care about what's happening on wallstreet.

Didn't mean to pick on you I just don't think it's fair to generalize. It can be ****ed up and annoying to see this stuff happen, but it's also not fair to people who DON'T live this way, but are accused of it.
  • Kotasmommy
    Kotasmommy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's not really what people are buying with foodstamps that bothers me as much as people who are abusing the assistance. I know people who don't work and keep having more kids just to get more from the state. Yet the people who are working and trying to make things better for them and their family don't get the help they need.
  • jazzdspazz
    jazzdspazz Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Honestly, we should all go live in cuba, everyone gets food stamps there, 6 eggs a monthl! And two cups of rice!Delishus, stop complaining about who has what, and live your life. Bust your *kitten*, and get rich. = America
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    *snort* Gosh you guys are entertaining.

Your more educational than discovery channel. I truly mean that because while I have studied your country never have I actually got to study the everyday opinions on topics like this.

And that is my little Australian view on the subject now I'm just going to keep reading.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I think you need to be careful about the huge generalizations going on here. You saw one couple with poor food choices, thus 'all' people on food stamps have low self esteem. I've done case work with people who were about to become homeless, were single moms with kids with disabilities, etc. There is an entire layer of people living in poverty, or almost poverty in the US. The Anglo, 'middle class' is typically unaware of those beyond our radar, and it's easy to judge. People fall through cracks in our culture for all kinds of reasons. They might be choosing food that sure, gives comfort, fills up a family quicker than lean, healthy meals, or is cheaper, thus they can buy more of.

Plenty of folks pay cash for the same unhealthy, over processed foods; do you toss everyone into a bag of 'low self esteem'? I think a better attitude to have is to assume you don't know anything (really) about their personal story and not to make assumptions. This is a tough time for families, individuals and almost everyone in this country, economically.

:drinker:
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    Not once did I say all people on food stamps do this. But too many people do. And heck yes I'm hating that I don't qualify lol. WTF, I need it more than other folks do. Honestly, it pisses me off that my old friend can afford to have her smart phone and buy her high-end makeup but is on food stamps. Grrrrr! I have to just pay the basics: rent, utilities, phone, food, school, and I don't qualify. BTW, this computer and internet service? My parent's, not mine. My smartphone? I'm on my parent's family plan and only pay $10 for my line, and I bought my iphone when I was working and could afford it. For those of you nosey people who wanted to know.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    wow. just.....wow.

the economy and unemployment rate have forced some people, who never dreamed of accepting government assistance, to swallow their pride and accept the help that enables them to feel their families.

I personally know families that have used the assistance to buy organic, healthy food for their families. But I suppose that is bad too....I mean, wasting government money on expensive organic food. The nerve.
  • fyceasar
    Options
    So is everyone on this thread poor? And who said everyone getting food stamps are not educated? You wouldn't believe the people who get or qualify for assistance. I know some one in the Army with a high rank that get them. The economy is so messed up right now.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Cashiers tend to notice trends, at least I did. It's an occupational hazard of the job. People were always complaining about what people buy with food stamps (lobster for example) but what are you going to do about it? There's the WIC program where they have to buy healthy food but it's not very efficient and it drives everyone in line behind you crazy. I don't know what the answer is but I do understand why OP is noticing it-- it's hard not to look at what people buy when you're checking out their groceries.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    *snort* Gosh you guys are entertaining.

Your more educational than discovery channel. I truly mean that because while I have studied your country never have I actually got to study the everyday opinions on topics like this.

And that is my little Australian view on the subject now I'm just going to keep reading.

:laugh:

I take living in a border city with the US for granted. I would never want to live there, but it sure is entertaining!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I feel I need to share a story with you all...

When I left my ex husband I had a 2.5 year old, hadn't had a job in 3 years (home raising our child), and had $17 dollars in my bank account.

The people that know me here know that I eat well. I am a vegan and my daughter never once had a drop of formula, I made every ounce of her baby food myself and kept her in cloth diapers 85% of the time. I never fed her packaged anything. She was my ONE shot at growing a happy healthy child and I took that job very seriously (still do now that she's almost a teenager).

I have a college degree and marketable skills in a number of industries. But I had $17 and no immediate prospects. I applied for Food Stamps and received them.

Buying my whole foods, fruits and vegetables to feed my daughter was HUMILIATING. Why? Because everyone in line looked at what was in my cart - looking for reasons to look down on me. I had to start shopping in the middle of the night in crappy grocery stores in bad neighborhoods where my selections were greatly limited to avoid the glowering looks by those that thought they were better than me.

After 3 weeks I gave up my food stamps so that they wouldn't go unused. Thankfully it was only a few more slightly hungry weeks before I had enough work to make up for the budget shortfall.

People have a stereotype of "welfare cases" - and I can assure you that's NOT reality. Sure, you may have seen some *kitten* abuse the privilege but you probably didn't see the dozens of others of poor single mothers who were forced to shop in the middle of the night to avoid you looking down on them.
This discussion has been closed.