i know i shouldn't but....

Options
Getting pretty frustrated lately with the scale. It's hard not to get on the scale as we're in the midst of the biggest loser challenge at work, but even after that, i like to see results. The first 6 weeks i've done very well going from 229 down to 212. I was super happy with the results and started even more cardio.

The last 2 weeks i've been very close to my calorie goal of 1490 and alot of times a few hundred under after my exercising. I've been at the gym 5 times a week, spin classes, eliptical and burning like 3000 cals/week at the least. The last 2 weeks have been totally flat and actually gained 1lb which i know it happens....but it's so dang frustrating when i feel like i've put way more effort in the last 2 weeks then i did in the first 5 weeks and not seeing results.

My wife has said she can definitely tell the difference, my blood pressure is better than it has been in a long long time, and my young daughter wants to go and exercise with me which is so much more important to me than what a scale says..... just a bit frustrating to see the gain for 2weeks..........that being said tonights my cheat night and i'm going for seafood and beer :-)

Guess i just needed to vent! - thanks!

Replies

• rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Your blood pressure is down....that's major! That's one reason many people want to lose weight. Congrats on your success thus far and keep at it.
  • Gemini_at_36
    Options
    You are always welcome to vent, hope it helped. Plateus (sp?)do happen, sometimes you just need to give the body a rest. Try something simple like walking for a few days. Eat your calories. See what happens. Good luck! Obviously your wife has noticed the change so be happy. And you have made an impact on your daughter, that is the greatest! :flowerforyou:
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    We all go through this. And it stinks! But keep it up, it'll come off. Are you doing any weight lifting? I started doing some simple free weight exercises and after an initial stall, the weight started dropping off big time and I'm noticing myself feeling stronger. You are doing an excellent job-don't get discouraged :smile:
  • BumbyDog
    BumbyDog Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Well done you! You sound really motivated and up beat despite the very very TINY gain :) Do you do any weight training? It's supposed to be brill for buring the cals long after you've finished the exercise.
  • Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's time to get out the measuring tape and start tracking that way. Inches are a huge indicator of fat loss. Keep it up, though! Speaking as someone who hasn't seen a loss in a while, I totally get this! I'm thinking you're putting on lots of muscle. :) Don't give up or change, even. You're doing such a good thing for your body! And enjoy your cheat meal! Friday's my cheat night too! Wooo! ;)
  • candicole007
    candicole007 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    We've all been there - you're doing the right things, and sometimes we just need to toss the evil scale out the window. I have a hate/hate relationship/addiction with my scale too, so I feel your pain. Just keep up the good work! And enjoy that seafood! :)
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I think we can all understand your frustration. You've done great! Congratulations on the great weight loss and the blood pressure going down. Just a thought here --- if you're on BP meds, it's possible that could cause you to gain and maintain weight. Beta blockers, for example, are well known to do that. At any rate, keep up the good work and if you have a cheat meal coming, enjoy it.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    thanks....I really don't do weights and i know i should. My wife and I are thinking of starting insanity so that probably would be a good jumpstart.....I have been wanting to make an appointment with a trainer so maybe that's another thing to do next week and get comfortable with the free weights.
  • destinysmommy2011
    Options
    I had the same problem last week where I was working out like a champ and was only down 1lb then 2 days later I was at the same weight. I was told that with people who work out the scale wont always show weight lost as far as pounds because we are gaining muscle, but we are losing inches. Also I was doing the elliptical every day but was told I needed a day in between to rest my muscles. So I switched to going on the ellipitcal to every other day but still walk and do my sit-ups every day and have gone down almost 2 pounds this week.

Either way congrats on the weight you have lost so far! Keep your head up and Good Luck :)
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    thanks....I really don't do weights and i know i should. My wife and I are thinking of starting insanity so that probably would be a good jumpstart.....I have been wanting to make an appointment with a trainer so maybe that's another thing to do next week and get comfortable with the free weights.

First hang in there and just keep at it! If you want to learn a little about weight lifting I would suggest checking out this site http://www.weightrainer.net/index.html , it is very informative and not owned by a supplement or exercise machine company. LOL!
  • kjones3535
    Options
    You should really go off of your measurements instead of just the scale. I keep track of my hips, waist, and bust and measure once a week. There are weeks I do not lose but maybe I lost inches on my waist. It helps to see the progress in some sort of measurement, but the scale does not tell the whole story.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the great loss so far!
    You are always welcome to vent, hope it helped. Plateus (sp?)do happen, sometimes you just need to give the body a rest. Try something simple like walking for a few days. Eat your calories. See what happens. Good luck! Obviously your wife has noticed the change so be happy. And you have made an impact on your daughter, that is the greatest! :flowerforyou:

This is pretty much the same thing I'd suggest, especially eating your calories. If you're not eating enough, the body will hold onto what it gets, especially since you're active so it feels like it might need to store energy (fat).
    Also, if you're not already, make sure you're monitoring sodium and drinking at least those 8 cups of water, if not more. Even guys have to deal with water retention if a few high sodium days creep into the week.