Fluctuating weight +/ 5lbs

Options
I need some advice or help with my weight recently. I was hovering around 130lbs for awhile and have been trying to lose 5 lbs in November.

I weigh myself occasionally either when I get home from work, after working out, or in the morning.
On Monday I weighed myself in the morning and saw 125.6
On Tuesday night I weight myself and saw 128.
On Wednesday mid afternoon I weight myself and saw 126.4
This morning I weighed myself and saw 128.4

I am seeing a fluctuation of about 5 lbs depending on when I weigh myself or what I have eaten before.
If this is happening so often, how do I track my weight loss???

Any advice would be appreciated, I am feeling discouraged

Replies

• badtheory
    badtheory Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    try weighing yourself consistently at the same time. ie: only weigh yourself first thing when you get up in the morning. it's pretty normal to fluctuate up to 3 lb throughout the day.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    only weigh yourself once during the day. maybe in the AM right after you get up? My scale is in the bathroom so right before I get in the shower so I only have on my birthday suit :)
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I need some advice or help with my weight recently. I was hovering around 130lbs for awhile and have been trying to lose 5 lbs in November.

I weigh myself occasionally either when I get home from work, after working out, or in the morning.
    On Monday I weighed myself in the morning and saw 125.6
    On Tuesday night I weight myself and saw 128.
    On Wednesday mid afternoon I weight myself and saw 126.4
    This morning I weighed myself and saw 128.4

I am seeing a fluctuation of about 5 lbs depending on when I weigh myself or what I have eaten before.
    If this is happening so often, how do I track my weight loss???

Any advice would be appreciated, I am feeling discouraged

You are weighing yourself too frequently. And at different times of the day.

While I weigh myself every day I only "count" my Wednesday morning weigh in...and I never weigh myself after eating or working out.

Once a week-- and at the same time of day -- smooths out the variations of water weight, etc.
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    weigh yourself early in the morning try to right after you wake up and urinate- thats when you get the closest to your true weight and during the day you can gain 3 lbs by what you eat and drink even though it flushes itself out by morning
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself in the morning, but my weight does the same thing. I panic when I get to that 5 lbs.
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    bump
  • skump425
    skump425 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    awesome, thanks everyone! I will start only weighing myself Monday mornings before my shower!
  • Heatherdfowler
    Options
    Always weigh yourself first thing in the morning. Everyone's weight fluctates throughout that the course of the day. You are weing in entirely too often for your results to be accurate. Once a week is enough. I only weigh once a month now.
  • keekee1804
    keekee1804 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My weight is strange like that to, I'll weigh myself at the same time every day and 10 minutes later after having a half a cup of coffee I'll be up 2 lbs according to the scale. Don't even pay attention to that. If you weigh yourself right after you workout you can show temporary weight loss, if you weigh yourself after a salt intake you can show a temporary weight gain. Just stick to in the am after you go to the bathroom and if you weigh in again that day don't record the weight because it's most likely wrong.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    If you are a woman, we tend to retain water (It could cause a gain of 4 to 6 lb on average) at different times of the day/ month, and if you are weighing your self with clothes, some clothes weigh a lot; like jeans for instance weigh 2 lbs.

If you don't want to see these mass fluctuations:
    1. make sure you are drinking at least 8 cups water per day.
    2. weigh your self naked.
    3. pic a time of the day that you weigh the least, and that is going to be your most accurate weight.
    4. weigh your self every day at that time, or just skip the weighing for that day, so your not discouraged. :flowerforyou:
    5. tack that time of the month and know it is usual to gain 4 to 6 lbs around that time, just make sure you are not over eating and ignore the scale, I would say about 4 days before you start, till it is over.

I hope this helps, it has definitely helped me.