Almond milk?

Options
JS70
JS70 Posts: 95 Member
I see so many people on here drinking almond milk. Do they drink it because of dairy allergies or that they are vegetarians? Or because it is that much better for you than dairy? I see it doesn't have cholesterol like dairy. What are the other health benefits? Thanks for the help!

Replies

• jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I like it because it is low calorie and delicious on cereal. I probably never would have tried it, but my boyfriend is lactose intolerant so he's all about non-dairy milk.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes better. Plus its higher in calcium, which I always seem to be lacking.
  • RieBerg
    RieBerg Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Its a good low cal substitute for mile. There is only 40 calories in a cup compared to 90 calories in skim cow's milk. It is also much richer tasting than skim milk.
  • NyGxo10
    Options
    It is so much lower in calories! The unsweetened vanilla is delicious in granola.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like the taste. I still use cow's milk, but almond milk tastes more refreshing to me.
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    I saw that a lot of people on here drink it too so I decided to try it. It tastes really good and I don't really like the taste of regular milk. I buy the vanilla almond and it is 90 cals a cup which is the same as the skim milk I was buying before. The only downfall is that it costs a little more about $2.50 a half gallon, but I'm the only one who drinks it so it lasts me a week. Everyone else drinks the cow milk in my family.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I was introduced to Almond milk when I was dating a vegetarian. I currently use both cow's milk and almond milk. I like how almond milk tastes and sometimes use it just for the variety. I only use the unsweetened, original almond milk. I'm not concerned about cholesterold, but when I want to cut some calories out of a meal, sometimes I'll use almond milk instead of cow's milk. There are also times when eating dairy isn't a good idea (certain illnesses, for example). Additionally, I find that if I do eat too much dairy my system can get a little cranky, so I'll try to substitute almond milk for cow's milk sometimes and save my dairy "allowance" for stuff like cheese (yum!).

Edited to add - almond milk also appeals to me because I don't have to worry about how were the cows treated, are there growth hormones involved. etc. I'd love to actually start making my own almond milk. It's not difficult and then I know exactly what is in it and can avoid any unnecessary additives.
  • felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I like the unsweetened almond milk in cereal, smoothies, etc. It is only 40 calories per cup!
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    The almond milk I buy is 35 cals/cup and it tastes better IMO. Plus, it just makes more sense to me on an intrinsic, biological level and I don't have to think twice about growth hormones, etc. I use it in everything I would normally cook with milk too.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I had the same question, so this week I bought some, which I have been using in my protein shakes. I like the shakes with something milkier than water as a base, but I was frustrated that the calories in the 1% milk I drink would always put me over the target calories for the meal. And with the protein powder, I was getting sufficient protein without the extra in the milk, so the Almond Milk is a perfect alternative. I like it so far - it does have more calcium than milk, which is good, and it gives the shake that extra milkiness I like.

For me, it is just another way to bring variety and interest into the diet.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Im not vegetarian but I have never wanted to drink a cows milk. I love it because its low in calories and great for shakes!
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    Regular milk and 2% tend to hurt my stomach whenever I have a glass. There's lactaid milk which is awesome, but it costs a lot of money, and people in my home tend to drink it all up even though they can clearly drink the regular stuff. I choose almond milk because it tastes better in my shakes and smoothies but doesn't cause tummy aching.. it's a bit cheaper to me, and I don't have to worry about people greedily going through it because everyone else finds it disgusting. It's hella delicious if'n ya ask me...OH! Also it's got lower calories than the regular moo-juice.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I drink it due to a dairy allergy..full blown allergy. But I have really found to love the taste and texture much better than regular milk. Especially Dark Chocolate yum!
  • misscase
    Options
    I only eat milk on cereal and I really like the taste of the unsweetened vanilla almond milk on cereal.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I switched to it *only* because it's lower calories. No health or moral issues, strictly a calorie thing.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant, so I have always drank soymilk....but now that I'm learning more about the dangers of soy (on top of the fact that my doctor told me to stop drinking/eating it), it makes more sense to go Almond.

The only time I use it is in my coffee, and it's only 35 cals a cup, which is awesome. It's rich tasting, and doesn't have that artificial flavor that a lot of soy milks do. I love that it still has a good amount of calcium, too.

Only drawback for me is that it doesn't have much protein, but I already get enough as it is, so it's not a huge deal.
  • JS70
    JS70 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the information everyone!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I took a biological perspective:

I'm a mammal that was designed to drink the extract from its own kind until it can eat solid food and start fending for itself.

And . . . ummm . . . to my knowledge, there is not another mammal that is past the age of nursing that is designed to continue stealing milk from other species as a primary source of nutrition.

Cow tit ooze. . .. Yeah. I wan to drink that.
  • satira25
    satira25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I read yesturday that if you have to choose between skim milk or almond milk, they say to go with the skim as it is better for you.
  • Tyler4846
    Options
    The almond milk is too nutty for me, it is good though just not all the time for me,
    I like the rice milk, and will stock up on it whenever I see it on sale.

I can't drink normal milk because the end result is me staying home for the next 24 hours.