What Keeps You Motivated to eat right and work out?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    I'm physically active and play sports (football, basketball) with my nephews and younger cousins on a competitive level with them at the age of 47 (soon to be 48). Two weeks ago I ran a 5.8 40 yard dash (lol, that's as fast as an NFL lineman) and felt really good about it since I didn't pull anything while doing it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MrsTomkins
    MrsTomkins Posts: 64 Member
    I have a picture of Katy Perry on my fridge lol we have a similar height and frame not to mention age.. would love to look anything remotely like her!!

past the vain side of things, my lil 3 month old.. I know that she is going to be high energy and I want to be right there with her once she starts moving around!
  • I feel great, absolutely great! I don't want to go back to feeling sluggish, stuffed, stiff, round, wobbly. That's my motivation!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    I loved my body when I was pregnant -- I felt it was beautiful and I was motivated to eat well -- and I want to feel that way all the time.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    My before picture. I can not believe I actually looked like that and was okay with it! The other thing? When I had a bunch of tests done and being told "Wow! This is textbook perfect" to the results of my EKG. I have MANY heart issues in my family - a lot of which start to surface around the age that I am. So, knowing my heart is healthy makes it worth it!
  • My before and after pictures, the compliments I've been getting from neighbors and friends.. annnd I suppose, people on MFP altogether. Some of the threads that i see just motivate me to get going.
  • dia705
    dia705 Posts: 43
    My before and after pic is a big one.
    compliments
    I want to ride a roller coaster again
    I want to go to the beach and not weep
    My children
    My guy
    Myself, I just am tired of being tired and such.

I slipped for about 2 months or so, not so bad still eating relatively healthy just too many "snacks" and halloween celebrations. gym once a week instead of 6.. I sort of looked at the scale, cried, and then realized I felt like I had when I was so much larger. The water weight was coming back the lethargy. I missed the gym and all the progress I had made in energy and strength and self esteeem. I now have that sad sort of photo of myself in my head. I just want to get down the last 113 pounds and then I'll start on another goal of sorts.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    I would have to agree with results. I am a very result oriented person.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    It's second nature now.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    my fat clothes that i have in my closet and pictures before i lost all my weight...UGH!!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    My newest motivation is seeing my three year old try to imitate the yoga dvd. He's pretty good! I love that I'm teaching him to exercise. also, its sort of funny because diet changes and exercise are proven to work, but I'm a bit surprised and stupidly excited when I step on the scale and find out I've lost a pound. It's like I'm doing a magic trick. Lol
  • my pre baby pics really do it for me. I look completely different.
  • The thought of being naked in front of someone :)
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    The fact that at age 52, I have no doubt that I am more physically fit than I was even as a teen-ager. I'm still in the obese category, but already my body is morphing into something different, and I really feel great about that. I love the accomplishment of running and feeling invigorated and alive.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    what keeps me motivated is knowing that i want to meet x goal by y date. And if i skip today, or make bad choices with food, i wont hit my goal until the day AFTER y. And skipping a day here and there adds up and suddenly my goal wont be reached until a MONTH after y. :)
  • Gaining my self esteem back! I literrally avoid places that I use to go prior to my weight gain. I fear of running into people who knew the thin me. I know this is silly, and I should not care what others think but the excess weight has definately made me VERY self concious. My motivation is to find my self esteem, be happy with my appereance and to be healthy.
  • My daughter. I was with her at the doctors and she got on the scale and weighed 198. She was devasted. This gave me the determination to get on my diet and exercise routine and stay there. Now less than a year later she has lost 50 pounds and just wrote up her college essay. In it she wrote about her weight loss journey. "I got a chance to better who I am because nothing is more satisying and rewarding than feeling beautiful in my own skin and inspiring others around me to want the same thing." To hear that my daughter feels beautiful in her own skin. It's an awesome feeling. I have printed her essay and keep it with me at all times. I just have to read it once again to feel that push to keep going.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    In the beginning, it was mostly about the weight loss but now it's mostly about health and fitness. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing a lower number on the scale but that's not what keeps me going day to day. I've got family history of heart disease on both sides and recently lost a cousin who's only a few years older than me to that very health problem. I'm determined not to let that happen to me!

My success in fitness has been very encouraging too. Last year, I was very proud to have walked a 10k. This year, I ran about half of it! I also have to give a shout out to my gym buddies. I know I could do it on my own (because I have) but having them there with me every day is so helpful and our chats really help it feel like less of a chore and more like fun!
  • My morbidly obese pictures and feeling fabulous. Best of all, my grandchildren being able to wrap their arms around me in a bear hug. Absolute heaven on earth!
  • reneekenhamlin
    reneekenhamlin Posts: 12 Member
    My family keeps me motivated.....I want to be healthy and energetic for them!!!! Oh man to feel better and not just out of It all the time Is worth everything!!!!!