Exercise From Home

Options
Hi all! I just moved in with my fiance. He lives in a small town, which means no gym! We live in a state that goes through cold winters with lots of wind, which limits how often I can go out and run outside. I have a couple of workout DVDs that I use when I need them, but I feel like they aren't as intense as I wish they were, and I don't feel like I am getting a hard workout in. Any suggestions, or workout routines that you do from home?

Replies

• Malloryrae1211
    Malloryrae1211 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity and I'm now working on P90X both great programs and very intense!! :)
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    I post free workout videos on youtube and my blog, that are high intensity home workouts. The blog is: www.fitnessbender.blogspot.com

I hope it helps!
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Try burpees!
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I bought a Gold gyms stationary bike that I do at home, it just has the pedals, so you can sit on the couch and do it. I bought free weights, I also use the chair for dips, do lunges, squats, push ups, sit ups, etc. If you want an intense work out, try 30 day shred, Google videos, etc. If you have Comcast, they also have a lot of exercise videos on On-Demand!
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    I have heard amazing things about P90X, and know a lot of people who have had great results!
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I use a variety of workout dvds... Turbo Fire, Chalean Extreme, Turbo Jam, Jillian Michaels, etc..
  • Sklahsen
    Sklahsen Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am a busy mom with no opportunity or real desire to go to a gym, so my husband bought be a Wii. I have a Zumba workout, cardio boxing, and a wii fit...lots of variety and I have done pretty good with those.
  • Ad_874
    Ad_874 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I did the Kenpo for P90x and it was awesome. I do zumba videos on youtube by Heather Rounds, She's amazing! I also do the workouts on Brighthouse's Sports and Fitness on demand as well.
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    no gym for me either due to the cost and i workout from home all the time. i have xbox w/ kinect (LOVE IT) also have chair aerobics dvds and you can ALWAYS walk :)
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    These at home work out videos are pretty good, like the 30 Day Shred, P90X, Turbo Jam, etc. Also, plain old power walking and/or jogging and/or running are veryyy effective workouts as well! And it's free! =) Power walking, for now, is my main source of excercise, because it's all I can or am allowed to do at the moment, but when I was doing it everyday I was losing a lot of weight, 2 - 3 lbs a week. I've just began getting back into it. I'd do it for about an hour a day at the park where it's all scenic and pretty, which I find very motivating! =)
  • monkeymomof3
    monkeymomof3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Insanity....it's intense but max of 45 minutes if time is an issue - I've heard great things about p90x too but they they are too long for me to fit in with 3 kids and a full time job :) We also have a recumbent bike for days I can't run.....but it itsn't "intense" unless you make it!
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Try BODYROCK.TV I follow their workout schedule daily =)
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I have invested in a Shwinn treadmill and an exercycle. With teenagers in the house, I had to buy quality so that it could stand up to heavier use than what I could ever give it. I love getting on the treadmill in front of the big screen TV. Watch an action show like Flashpoint, and you don't see the time go by. And seeing that we have a lot of ice rain in the winter, it helps me to get my walking in when it is not safe to walk outside without crampons.

I use an exercycle too, but it is a cheap model, quiet enough for TV viewing, but kind of wobbly with a seat that is not too comfy. I have a good one on my wish list for Christmas.

I also do exercise classes at the local high school offered by the town rec services, but I like these two machines because I can use them while doing other things. And when you look at the cost of a gym membership, these pay for themselves rather quickly. I've had the treadmill for over 7 years now, and get on it for 90 minute intervals. It's got the digital programs and has plenty of challenges to offer me yet. So head out to the city, and set up your basement workout space with good equipment.
  • tasiac23
    tasiac23 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Just buy an elliptical or treadmill (you can get a good, inexpensive one at walmart or on amazon.com...if you don't have one already), some dvd's (30 day shred is good or anything Jillian Michaels IMO lol), dumbells, jump rope, exercise ball or whatever you need and you got your very own at home gym :). Gyms are too expensive!! You can buy your own stuff and use it indefinitely without having to pay any annual fees....one book I use to to help my with a good weight training regimen is The Body Sculpting Bible for Women. Another book I am starting to read is The New Rules of Lifting for Women...it also gives lots of great advice and workout routines......hope I helped :)
  • findingthethingirlamy
    Options
    I enjoy borrowing workout DVDs from my local library. I know not all libraries have them, but it's worth checking out. You can try some out before you buy or use them to bring variety to your workout routine.
  • wifeygonzo
    wifeygonzo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    insanity is insane! total kick-your-butt workout!