Hi all, new and working hard

Options
at losing weight and trying to get stronger and healthier. I am 47 years old and have fybromyalgia and chronic fatigue. I have found with exercise and diet change I feel better. What I have a hard time doing is making it a habit. It's so easy to not work out one day and that makes it harder the next day...and so on and so on.I am also a light smoker, so I want to reach a goal of 15-20 lbs GONE so I can finally quit this nasty habit with no fears of piling the weight back on!

Replies

• inspirem
    inspirem Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I had a pack a day habit for about 17-18 years. I quit almost 10 years ago! It is possible to quit...

3 reasons How I quit:

1. I had really bad sinus issues one fall season, in which congestion moved into my chest and I had a hard time breathing (that was the kick-start)

2. I was scared I would develop emphysema ( being scared of not being able to breathe easily kept me motivated)

3. I used nicorette chewing gum the first 2 or 3 months of quitting, gradually chewing less and less of it until I realized I no longer need to chew it!

Even after 10 years I have found that the cravings can still come...but also after 10 years the cravings are so few and far in-between, and last but a brief few seconds. Also, I realize how allergic I am to cigarette smoke because I instantly get a massive headache and severe nose congestion when I near someone who is smoking. And lastly after quitting you realize how bad someone who smokes smells ( stale dirty ashtray!)

The best to you as you start and continue achieving your goals.
  • sharrrina
    sharrrina Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! wonderful tips! C
    Huge congrats to you! What an accomplishment!
  • inspirem
    inspirem Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you'll find that increasing exercise and making healthy changes will decrease your need/desire for smoking...! You can do both, drop 20 lbs and quit smoking! Don't start a diet so that you can quit smoking, start a lifestyle change by working on getting rid of unhealthful habits, not only smoking, but bad food choices too!

M
  • sharrrina
    sharrrina Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yep, I started dieting and exercise to feel better and be healthier. Already I have reaped benefits! The quitting smoking will be a huge added benefit!