To track fruits & veggies or not to track fruits & veggies?

Options
Hi everyone!

So I've had this app forever and I am now starting to really use it. I did Weight Watchers at the beginning of the year and it really helped me, but I didn't feel like paying for it anymore, and this is free so well...yeah. Anywho! Question for you all, are you tracking your fruits and veggies that you eat? I ask because with WW you don't have to, and I was thinking about doing the same with this program. Has anyone else tried the same with good results?

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i track everything that goes into my mouth. vitamins, cough drops, fruits and veggies. if it has calories, it should be tracked. what would vegetarians do if they didnt track fruits and veggies?
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    yup! if it has calories, log it!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Track them -- especially fruit!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    This is not WW. This is calorie counting. WW fruits and veggies are zero points...but since we track calories you track everything with calories....fruits and veggies have calories so yes.
  • Bllanes
    Options
    I dont track everything (medicine, viatmins, etc.) but fruits and veggies are a must.....they have varing calories and it will help you keep track of your sugar intake as well whick is important. HTH :)
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies do have calories, so it's best to track them. Some fruit has surprisingly high amounts of calories. And it certainly can't do any harm knowing exactly what is in all the foods you eat, including fruits & veggies. There is no real need to stress over every single little detail like the exact size and amount of fruit & veg you're eating, but I'd still track it, even if the sizes are only a rough estimate.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    yup! if it has calories, log it!

^^ This!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Track everything. Carrots have a lot of calories.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I am trying for a plant based vegetarian approach these days, so I definitely want to make sure I get as many greens into my diet as I can. Now my goal is to eat tons of these so YES! I am definitely tracking my fruits and veggies.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    This is not WW. This is calorie counting. WW fruits and veggies are zero points...but since we track calories you track everything with calories....fruits and veggies have calories so yes.
    Yep! Otherwise I'd have roughly a thousand calories of junk food a day. I would never stop myself from eating that apple because it has to many calories, BUT it's important to remember it has calories so I'm not eating a Snickers thinking I have the caloric room for it when I don't.
    Well, in other words, yes.

If you don't want to count fruit/veg, set yourself a much lower caloric limit and make sure to eat a lot of fruit/veg anyway, I guess. :)
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    They have calories, so yes.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Track everything. Carrots have a lot of calories.

I've never seen carrots have a lot of calories....but that's not my point here :)

I agree with all of the above, anything that has calories should be logged.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    You should track everything. Fruits have calories because of the sugar content. Veggies, unless done is a sauce or butter or whatever, generally don't have many calories (except things like potatoes, etc.) But you won't get a true calorie count if you don't count them. Nor will you know if you're getting the right nutrients.
  • Johnna1
    Johnna1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, and yes I know this isn't WW....
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I agree: if it has calories, make sure you track it. I add to my food diary notes section at the bottom the number of fruit and vegetables servings I have had that day, to help motivate myself to eat more fruit and veggies. But I still want to know how many calories I consumed so I can keep everything in balance.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Agree- track it
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I am doing the same thing. this instead of ww because I dont want to pay. you can get the same results, just a little different than the new points plus system. I did the core plan before and I didnt have to track at all because I never ate anything processed. I am finding that too restrictive anymore and I didnt keep the weight off long enough( a yr and a half) and then it all came back after not tracking. I am committed to this. It will work.but definitely add anything you eat.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    is that why with Weight Watchers a lot of people dont have great success? they dont count fruits and veggies? seems ridiculous. 2 people eat the exact same thing but 1 has 8 apples extra in a day. how can that be the same?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I track it all, even if it's miniscule calories. It's just a habit.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    is that why with Weight Watchers a lot of people dont have great success? they dont count fruits and veggies? seems ridiculous. 2 people eat the exact same thing but 1 has 8 apples extra in a day. how can that be the same?
    I know I would be really full eating 8 apples a day, if it was in addition to ANY other food at all. LOL So I think their idea is to encourage as many fruits & vegetables as possible, while consciously remembering to not eat when you're not hungry, and that sort of thing. If you are eating healthier foods, I personally find that they fill me up way better, so it would work as long as it's in conjunction with not using those calories on crap. At least I think that's the way it works! :)