Night Running

Options
Plan to do some winter training and was wondering wear can I purchase reflective wear for safety purposes?

Replies

• Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Any sports/outdoor store should have something. I have a couple of Brooks tops that are super fluorescent (blindingly so in daylight!) and have reflective bits. I got them at REI. I know new balance also makes tights that are entirely reflective, which must look super weird to anyone driving past you at night!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Be careful!!!! Someone threw a football at my dad while he was running. Luckily they missed!

To answer the question lol wal-mart or dunham's have vests. =]
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I like runningwharehouse.com. They have a good variety with competitive prices. I've been looking at some Vizipro by Saucony. Great colors and they include an led light (charged by usb I believe). You can always try your local running store or sporting goods store. I find the running store has more the the super bright colors than the regular sporting goods places. Good luck and be safe!
  • irunforfun
    irunforfun Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Top,

When you're in Pittsburgh next week go to Elite Runners and Walkers. They THE best independent running store in Pittsburgh. The owner, Kevin is amazing, and the employees will work with you (and won't try to sell you anything you don't want). I love them!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    A good buy would be a simple reflective vest that you can put on over normal wear. They use them in the military quite a bit, so you can check army surplus stores or RangerJoes.com

We use this one... 07727.jpg

I also use a vest from Pearlizumi that I got at sun & ski or some sporting goods store. Don't remember.

11231104_428.jpg

You can also call the local police academy to find out where they buy theirs.
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Saucony makes a grea hi vis jacket that's perfect for night running. I also have an armband that has a light on it so people can see me.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    you might even want to consider a head lamp like the ones mountain climbers use. It can be really helpful if you're running on an uneven surface at night. Running with a head lamp is easy these days, because newer technology makes really light weight ones...
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Good idea. I just purchase one today at Walmart. Like you said very lightweight. Gotta watch out for the deers in the neighborhood!
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Most of my running is in the dark, and I'm really cheap. I have some reflective gear that road crews or crossing guards use (cheaper than running store specialty stuff), I always wear an LED head lamp, and some reflective straps on my leg (again road crew work gear). And for those wee hours in the morning when drunks are driving home and early morning drivers aren't yet awake, and carry a little handheld led light that I point directly at drivers so they notice me. (It's not super-bright, so not a safety issue for drivers). And I ALWAYS run on the left side of the road facing the oncoming traffic. It's amazing how many runners I see with their backs to the nearest cars.
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Be careful!!!! Someone threw a football at my dad while he was running. Luckily they missed!

haha what?!
  • ddoohaluk
    ddoohaluk Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Only a football? He got off easy. I have had all sorts of things thrown at me while running and cycling. The worst was a full, 12 oz can of Hawaiian Punch. Some kids launched it out of daddy's lexus and it hit me square in the right quad. It left a huge bruise that was there for weeks. Hopefully, not as long as the bruise that kid got from his father after the police left his house. A witness was able to get the license plate off the car and we called the police. The police showed up, took our statements, drove me and the witness to the kids house (was only a couple of blocks away) so we could identify the car and the thrower. The car was parked in the driveway and a group of kids were inside the house watching tv, I will never forget the face of the kid when he answered the door and we were all standing there.