Broke my ankle, but don't want a set back!

Options
I broke my ankle yesterday, and am concerned about how to stay on track while I'm laid up for the next couple months. Does anyone have advice on what kind of exercises I can do for my core/arms that are good calorie burners?

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I hurt my ankle over the summer. I was out of working out for a couple weeks...HATED IT! I tried to stick to 1200 cals a day with no exercise, but then switched to maintenance. Once I got some strength back, I started doing swimming! GREAT cardio and barely any pressure on your feet! Also, any arm exercises like kickboxing etc. can help! HEAL SOON! <3
  • larat71
    Options
    A GREAT "bed" exercise is some easy sit ups. The cushion from the mattress helps support you so you don't end up straining the hurt area of your body while it heals! Hope this helps and that you are feeling better soon!
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I don't have much advice for exercices besides low-weight lots of rep strength training, but just please be careful with your ankle! I have had numerous ankle injuries, and things can only get worse if you over-work it before it's healed. Once the cast is off, try some swimming and then once there is some strength, wear a good brace (air cast braces are great) and do some yoga to build strength. I sprained my ankle twice in the period of one month last year around this time, and it took me till this summer to get my full strength back.
  • wendyannvantiem
    wendyannvantiem Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have one of those medicine balls. You can sit in a chair and lift it up in the air, It really is a great burn. Sometimes my husband and I toss it back and forth to each other.
  • amach0727
    Options
    I fractured my foot over the summer. I sat at home and did leg lifts with ice on it. I also lived off freeze pops and fruit cause i couldnt stand on one foot long enough to cook :p But yeah, once you get crutches youll see how much of a workout they are. I actually lost weight on crutches haha maybe it was the whole fruit and ice pop diet though (:
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    you dont need excercise to lose weight, first off, so it shouldnt be a set back. the excercise part is for toning. ive been here 8months and lost my 76 pounds pretty much without excercise (some here and there).

second off, you can do sit-ups and various variations, sitting doing punches with weights, sitting with weights and twisting-lifting-punching while playing music (basically dancing while sitting but with weights). push-ups but on ur knees.. thats all that comes to mind at the moment, but theres plenty
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I would definately concentrate on diet more than exercise. When I broke my leg I lost weight eating a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. Otherwise you could do just about any upper body moves and core work. Make sure you still keep your form correct so you don't add any back problems to the mix. Heal quick and take your physical therapy seriously!
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    They say that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise.
  • MalTru
    MalTru Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I am definitely planning on cutting back my daily calories since I won't be working out intensely for awhile, but you guys have definitely given me a lot of great ideas for exercises I can still do. Thanks so much!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Sorry you broke your ankle. :(