Bad Back

Options
Hi everyone, I just started yesterday and am finding this site quite helpful. Three and a half years ago I had major back surgery and now have plates,rods and pins in my lower back. I am very out of shape and although my Dr. said do whatever I feel up to the treadmill is ok but i would like to do more. Any suggestions.

Replies

• tinlady
    tinlady Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just started yesterday and am finding this site quite helpful. Three and a half years ago I had major back surgery and now have plates,rods and pins in my lower back. I am very out of shape and although my Dr. said do whatever I feel up to the treadmill is ok but i would like to do more. Any suggestions.
  • STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Most treadmills are nice cause its easy on the knees.
    I would try and elliptical too. Those are a full body work out..
    and I think working on your tummy muscles helps when your back isnt in top notch.
    I found this article
    Start with your tummy first.
    Core Strength for Back and Neck Rehab
    Many rehab clinics and physical therapy offices are now administering "core strengthening programs" to their back and neck patients. These programs, which focus on the muscles of the abdomen and back, improve postural alignment. Core strength also contributes to the kind of body mechanics necessary for avoiding the back strain that may occur while engaging in daily chores, sports or dance. Benefits of core strength translate into pain relief, says Susan Eaton, yoga teacher and head of outpatient services at Saint Francis Memorial Hospital in San Francisco. "Good posture habits encourage a healthy alignment of the bones and curves of the spine, and allow muscles to maintain their normal length."
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Be VERY careful with ellipticals when you have a bad back, they are built for a certain build of person and if you aren't that build you can injure yourself easily because you're not keeping a proper posture on the machine. I tore a large muscle in my back on the elliptical and have never been in so much agony in my life, I haven't used it since. I have also heard many people say that it hurts their hips as well.

I have bad back problems as well, I have a Viniyoga dvd for the lower back and sacrum (that's the title or similar to it and you can get it at Amazon) I do it 3x a week but when I got it I did it everyday and it REALLY helps. Also do LIGHT weights, whatever you can manage, weights have considerably built strength in my lower back and done wonders for my back pain. I avoid bikes for long periods of time because they put a lot of pressure on my back (sitting for longer periods) but I like walking on an incline and running. I had thought that running would really hurt but it actually hasn't!
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    I agree, strengthen that core. I had physical therapy for some slipped discs and the majority of the exercises that I do are for my core. I use an exercise ball for most of my home exercises because it makes me focus on posture. There are also a wide variety of exercises that you can do on them. As for the gym, I do a standing hip flexor machine, this works my lower back and abdomen. Also, seated rows are good. Ask someone to show you the proper way to do these, or schedule a training session to learn how. With back problems, it is important that you use correct posture.

Push-ups and crunches, done correctly, are also good.:happy:
  • alapointe
    alapointe Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Please stay away from the Elipitcal until you have built up the muscles in your back and can handle it. I have had problems with my back for a long time, and i would try to work out on the elipitcal would do it for a couple of weeks and bam my back would be horrible again. Did this on and off for about 6 months until i let my back heal and stayed away from the elipitcal until i built up my back muscles and now i can use the elipitcal no problems in the last year.

It is a great machine but can kill your back if your muscles are not strong enough and you don't use the right posture.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Core strength is KEY for a strong back. A lot of people miss that corelation. I usually find that the people who come to my physical therapy clinic for back problems almost always have inadequate core strength.

Your core muscles are not just your Abs. They also include muscles in your pelvic floor, back and hips. They all work together to keep your trunk stable while you move. They hold your body upright, improve your balance and enable you to put some power into your arm and leg movements.

If the core muscles are weak, your body doesn't work as effectively, and other muscles have to pick up the slack which results in injuries.

As far as cardio goes you can also ride a recumbant bike. If it bothers your back you can put some sort of pillow behind it to adjust your alignment.
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I had a spinal fusion about 3 years ago--no more running for me! However, I walk like a madwoman. :tongue:

I totally agree with strengthening your core. But DON'T DO CRUNCHES!!!! My spinal PT told me to never do them again. There are many more core exercises that are better. My problem with core exercises was that they were SO BORING to me! So I started belly dancing and I'm starting yoga, too. I think that Pilates will be in the cards for my future, but I want to get going with the yoga first (little steps, you know).

Good luck & happy back to you! :happy:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    Pilates is WONDERFUL for your core. I am working on getting certified as an instructor along with everything else!

I :heart: PILATES!! Such a good workout! You find muscles you never knew you had!!!

As far as core exercises go we rarely use crunches to build the core. There are SOOOO many out there. If you are interested in some PM and I can send you some.
  • tinlady
    Options
    Most treadmills are nice cause its easy on the knees.
    I would try and elliptical too. Those are a full body work out..
    and I think working on your tummy muscles helps when your back isnt in top notch.
    I found this article
    Start with your tummy first.
    Core Strength for Back and Neck Rehab
    Many rehab clinics and physical therapy offices are now administering "core strengthening programs" to their back and neck patients. These programs, which focus on the muscles of the abdomen and back, improve postural alignment. Core strength also contributes to the kind of body mechanics necessary for avoiding the back strain that may occur while engaging in daily chores, sports or dance. Benefits of core strength translate into pain relief, says Susan Eaton, yoga teacher and head of outpatient services at Saint Francis Memorial Hospital in San Francisco. "Good posture habits encourage a healthy alignment of the bones and curves of the spine, and allow muscles to maintain their normal length."
  • tinlady
    Options
    Hi everyone thank you for your suggestions. I guess i should have elaborated a little more. I had a full hysterectomy five months before back surgery so my stomach was not available to help with the healing process for my back. Unfortunately my back surgery was not totally successful. Three disc fusion with instrumentation meaning (metal plates around my spine plus rods and the screws that were supposed to have been anchored to my L5 (they could not reach it) so they were screwed into my hip bones. But wait that is not all. One screw is tighter than the other and now my whole body is out of whack. I am seeing a chiro. (which is helping ))with the neck and shoulder pain but am also on many presc. drugs (14) pills per day. I am probably asking to much of people on this site but getting some feedback is better than nothing. Thanks again for taking the time.:flowerforyou:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    Hi everyone thank you for your suggestions. I guess i should have elaborated a little more. I had a full hysterectomy five months before back surgery so my stomach was not available to help with the healing process for my back. Unfortunately my back surgery was not totally successful. Three disc fusion with instrumentation meaning (metal plates around my spine plus rods and the screws that were supposed to have been anchored to my L5 (they could not reach it) so they were screwed into my hip bones. But wait that is not all. One screw is tighter than the other and now my whole body is out of whack. I am seeing a chiro. (which is helping ))with the neck and shoulder pain but am also on many presc. drugs (14) pills per day. I am probably asking to much of people on this site but getting some feedback is better than nothing. Thanks again for taking the time.:flowerforyou:

Have you gone to any physical therapy??? I think you get more relief from that then going to a chiro.
  • tinlady
    Options
    Yes I have tried physical therapy , water therapy, and massage the thing that works for me to some degree is chiro. I guess i will just have to plug away slowly on the treadmill!