Yoga Ball to sit on at work?

Options
Hi All! Happy Friday, Veterans day, 11/11/11.. all that :)

I have a desk job where I sit, you know, the usual 8 hrs/day. I'm looking to invest in a yoga ball type chair - or just a ball, really - that I can start to sit on instead of my chair. My posture is terrible and I hate that I just sit in a lump all. day. long.

Anyone have any good product recommendations?

Or any other suggestions for a "sendentary" work lifestyle? I make an effort to stand during phonecalls, walk around, stretch, etc. Anything else?

Replies

• deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    ugh I know how you feel. I do a lot of standing and working to compensate. I've heard some ankle weights and doing leg lifts is helpful. =]

I have used a yoga ball but it made me feel awkward lol didn't make a huge difference either aside from posture.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Do you drive to work? Park as far out in the lot as you can
    Do you take the elevator to your office? Instead take the stairs
    Lunch hour - what can you squeak in and still have your eats? there are tons of quicky 5 minute workouts you can breeze through. On nicer days, go for a quick walk if you can
    Do Stretching exercises in your chair http://www.wikihow.com/Exercise-While-Sitting-at-Your-Computer
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    A couple of my co-workers use them... I'm to ADD and move around to much so It's just annoying for me. BUT the one piece of advice I can offer is: not all yoga balls are equal. Invest in a higher quality ball that will withstand a rogue staple or you'll end up on your *kitten*. And make sure you measure the height of your desk and get a ball of comparable height or you'll end up with your chin on your desk. If you're shorter the size ball you would need for working out will probably be on the short side. If you go to a sporting good store to pick it up don't let them try and tell you it will be to big for you or again you'll end up too low and uncomfortable.

Otherwise, I say go for it. Both of my co-workers use them and have eliminated a lot of the pains associated with sitting all day (lower back & hip pain).

Good Luck!
    :drinker:
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    ^ Agree... I also hear it is great because you use your core muscles all day!
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    I have used a yoga ball chair for about 8 years. I love it....the brand name on it is GAIAM. It is the regular ball on a base with wheels, so you can roll around just like a regular desk chair. You can take the ball out of the base to use it as a free-rolling ball, too, and the base gets the height where it needs to be.
  • CharmCityBella
    CharmCityBella Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use a yoga ball at work all day and I love it. My back doesn't hurt anymore, I don't slouch anymore, and I get to bounce around all day to my music. I highly recommend it. I just got one at Target (cost like $11). They come in different sizes and there is a graph on the box that tells you which one you need according to your height. Good luck! :)
  • MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My aunt works in the computer industry and also sits the majority of the time. Just purchased this for her early October. She says it is GREAT!!! Rolls easy. Has resistance bands for the occasional arm stretch and you can remove the ball for some quick crutches. Not to bad on price. (went 3 ways for the b-day gift with some other relatives)

http://www.gaiam.com/product/exercise-ball-ballanceball-chair.do?SID=WG108SPRTAPEMACS&extcmp=cse_froogle
  • MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Bosses also will not look down on it as much since it is not just a ball.
    I have used a yoga ball chair for about 8 years. I love it....the brand name on it is GAIAM. It is the regular ball on a base with wheels, so you can roll around just like a regular desk chair. You can take the ball out of the base to use it as a free-rolling ball, too, and the base gets the height where it needs to be.
  • bwalters82
    Options
    I've been using the Stayball from Gold's Gym now for a few months and feel a huge difference!
  • NewChristine1483
    NewChristine1483 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is awesome, and so many responses so quickly! Yeah, I was trying to decide what makes more sense - a chair-ball, like the GAIAM mentioned, or just a plain old ball. Is a standalone ball more strenuous, ya think? Do the wheels make it more stable, so my core doesn't have to work as hard?
  • shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about bringing my ball from home, but my super-traditional boss probably wouldn't like my bouncing around on a ball all day! I wish!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've asked my boss for one for Christmas :) Amazon has some great reviews on them. I've noticed prices really can range and so can qualify.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Some of my coworkers have them, and it seems like a great idea. I wouldn't mind having one also.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker who uses a FitBall for her back and really likes it.
    I started standing at my desk a couple of months ago and it really makes a difference. I've got the details on my blog here - http://shivaslives.blogspot.com/2011/10/standing-desk-experiment.html
    Good luck in whatever you choose.

9114468.png
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I have an aeromat fitness ball chair (http://www.ballsnbands.com/aeromat_fitness_ball_chair.html).

They typically run ~ $140, but I got mine on e-Bay for $99.

I've had it for abotu 9 months and love it. I had just a yoga ball before that for about 6 months, and the main improvement with the ball chair is the ability to roll without rolling OFF! (e.g., swiveling back and forth between computer and desk and credenza!)

I think it has improved my posture, but I don't think it's done much to strengthen my core (which is supposed to be one of the benefits.)
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I use a regular old ball - I got the biggest size I could, 70 cm. I really like it, and when I'm out of the office some of my officemates borrow it. Sometimes when I'm at my desk a lot I play music and definitely bounce, I can't say I've had any major improvements or how it has helped me, but recently I went back to using my chair and noticed my posture was terrible immediately - lots of slouching. So, I can say I definitely sit upright and use my core more.

Hope that helps! Do it, you'll love it!
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    I am sorry but I can't help but think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsK6xF0C1p0&feature=related

(The Office)