Stretching before/after running - necessary?

Options
I used to stretch when I ran regularly years ago but this time around I haven't stretched AT ALL - and I'm running farther/faster/without pain than I have during my previous bouts of running - so is stretching really necessary? I also use the sprinter Stick massage tool maybe once or twice a week and a cheap chinese foot massage once or twice a month if I feel sore so could that be making up for my lack of stretching?

Replies

• ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I stretch before and after exercise, its important for your muscles. Stretching is part of the workout!

Read this: http://yourwisdom.yahoo.com/your-health/reasons-stretching-important-fitness-routine-article-acid.html
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch but I do 5 minute walk on either side of my run.
  • hotforcollege
    hotforcollege Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    when i'm done running I lay down on the floor with my legs straight up next to a wall. example: http://chubbyu.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/feet-on-wall.jpg

It gets rid of the sore feeling
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I never static stretch before or after running, but I usually have a warm up walk, and a cool down walk. I read somewhere that static stretching can actually be bad for your muscles if you do it before a work out.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I walk briefly to warm up before running, but I only stretch when I am finished. If I don't stretch, my calves and shins and quadriceps tighten up and get very sore. I have never felt a difference stretching before I run, though, so as long as I am warmed up, I skip that.
  • veobrien
    veobrien Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    In the grand scheme of things, stretching takes no time at all and could prevent a horrible injury. Having had an injury when I felt too self conscious to stretch, is what forms the basis of my opinion....! However, that is just my opinion. Enjoy your running though!
  • veobrien
    veobrien Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    In the grand scheme of things, stretching takes no time at all and could prevent a horrible injury. Having had an injury when I felt too self conscious to stretch, is what forms the basis of my opinion....! However, that is just my opinion. Enjoy your running though!
  • WifenMom
    Options
    When jogging last year I found that if I didn't stretch I would get a terrible pain in my calves while jogging. The better I stretched beforehand - the more endurance I felt I had during the jog.
    I have read that before any workout it's good to stretch and warm up. Good for the muscles and good for the heart :-)
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    i walk for about 5 minutes as a warm up and then have no problem running! :)
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I do a warm up lap, then static stretches then moving stretches (boxer or swimmer type jumpy stretches), then start my workout and I end it the same way, but in reverse (which really isn't the same way, but you get the idea)
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I never stretch before, or after a run. I believe science does advocate a post run stretch though.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch before, but I stretch after. I read somewhere that you can go farther if you don't stretch......I don't know, but I've never had any problems.
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    I don't stretch before I run either but I do walk for a few minutes to loosen up before I start the run and when I'm done I do stretch afterwards and walk around. You don't want your heartrate to drop too quickly.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I used to stretch when I ran regularly years ago but this time around I haven't stretched AT ALL - and I'm running farther/faster/without pain than I have during my previous bouts of running - so is stretching really necessary? I also use the sprinter Stick massage tool maybe once or twice a week and a cheap chinese foot massage once or twice a month if I feel sore so could that be making up for my lack of stretching?
    I hear you!

I got back to running in June after a 25 year absence (I guess I was really well rested!) and a lot of things have changed.

As best I can tell, stretching is passé. I read a few years back that "they" (whoever "they" are) had tracked the performance and injury levels of pro athletes and passive stretching was determined to be of no value in preventing injuries. In fact, IIRC, it caused microtears in some athletes. That struck me as strange so, one day while in the Runner's World fora, I checked it out and, sure enough, most runners do not stretch. Further, no one stretches before a run — and the rationale seems pretty sound.

The reason for not stretching prior to running is that you can injure yourself and, second, there's no need to stretch because running is a natural movement with a fairly limited range of motion. Perhaps for a sprinter but someone doing long distance running is moving at a relatively slow rate so folks don't stretch prior to a run.

What many folks report that they do is run a very slow first mile and then do some dynamic stretching. Google is your friend on that one.

My SOP? I don't stretch before. I walk about 1 minute to the fire hydrant which I use as my starting marker and my first mile is always about 30 seconds slower than my second mile.

After a run, I walk to cool down and I stretch for 30 seconds per muscle after I cool down. I use a stick or a roller if my muscles feel sore during my off days.

I'm new (my total mileage since June is only 383 miles) and I'm learning more about this hobby all the time so I'd love to hear what people are doing.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I never static stretch before or after running, but I usually have a warm up walk, and a cool down walk. I read somewhere that static stretching can actually be bad for your muscles if you do it before a work out.
    I've heard the same thing about pre run stretching.
  • Mennassey
    Mennassey Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Stretching before and after exercise is not necessary, but beneficial in helping prevent injury.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Stretching before and after exercise is not necessary, but beneficial in helping prevent injury.

Stretching before does nothing to help prevent injury.
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I warm up before, and VERY LIGHTLY stretch afterwards. I never treated stretching like some sort of flexibility contest... just very very lightly and hold it, and while I'm doing that I mentally think about releasing built up lactic acids or toxins and visualize the muscle relaxing enough to soften so these things are able to release into the wider system and leave the body thru whatever way it deems appropriate, as long as it leaves, hehe!