gym or no gym..that is the question

Options
just wanted to throw this question out there to everyone and see what you think. i have a good friend that works at the gym near-by (Snap Fitness), ive never been there before, but i think it would be beneficial, not only can i get membership for 30$ a month, but it includes free pool (at local hotel), tanning (7 extra $ a month) and i would have somewhere other than my living room to exercise and also be involved in classes they offer (swimming and zumba)
i currently am at 1200 cal intake, exercising atleast 20-40 mins daily (jillian michaels 30 day shred), i feel like i have toned up, but as far as weight loss..i just cant shake the weight off!
i hang in the 140-143 range and it feels sometimes like i wanna give up because no matter what im doing, im not dropping the pounds.....
ANYHOW, my question is this: do you think it would help by joining a gym to have other exercise options available? or should i keep doing what im doing and maybe throw in some elliptical workouts to my dvd exercise??? im at a stand-still!

thanks for all your support, this is the best site ever made!! and the people on here are so helpful, thats why i thought i'd ask all of you :)

Replies

• sesteadman88
    sesteadman88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If it fits within your budget I would say go for it! Don't see how it could hurt any, just as long as you actually use your membership!
  • mathgirl27
    Options
    I switch off days at the gym and doing 30DS. Your body gets bored doing the same thing, and throwing it a curve ball every once in awhile really helps. If you have the money, go for it!
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love the gym. You can check into Planet Fitness, if they have one in your area, 10.00 a month and no contract. I find that paying for the gym keeps me going!
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Definitely! When I joined they set up a program for me for fat burning, I thought I had been doing quite well with high intensity stuff until I did one of their programs. It is awesome. With a pool as well!
  • vscheffel
    vscheffel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For me i found it was more help full for me to through in some walking vs. going to the gym(the whole having to drive to go work out was what didnt work for me). but if you can fit it in your budget and have the time go for it
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    I'd say gym! and also, you might wanna increase your calories; after two months at 1200 cal a day, I wasn't seeing much of a progress. Following many people's advice, I increased my calories to 1340 a day and dropped 3 pounds in a week. Making changes may be beneficial :)
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    The only reason I would ever rejoin a gym would be for the access to weight lifting classes...ie. BodyPump.

Personally, I get a better workout at home bec' I push myself so much harder here.

Think seriously about lifting significant weights with a trainer...more jilian/zumba probably won't do it for the last bit.

hope this helps :happy:
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Go for it! If you can afford it, I'd do it!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I find that I really like the class setting and if you make friends it's even more incentive to actually go. It becomes a health thing and a social thing. Also, if the gym has weights available (which I assume it does) then that might be a very nice addition to your cardio that you're already doing, which would also help shed those pounds. I say if it's within your budget and you think you'll use the membership, go for it!
  • jennysmission
    jennysmission Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I say if you have the money go for it...I love doing the classes they will push you, more then you can push yourself!! It gives you a lot of different options so you dont get bored!
  • RunLiftEat
    RunLiftEat Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out at home/running outside. But a gym is a great idea if you want to participate in classes. As for the lbs not dropping. That doesn't mean you aren't loosing fat. Measurements and how clothes fit are a better way to judge your progress. To many people obsessed with the number on a scale.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    If it motivates you and gets you out there, go for it. And make sure you use the pool.

Give the tanning bed a wide berth though. They are no benefit, seeing they cause skin cancer.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    If it motivates you and gets you out there, go for it. And make sure you use the pool.

Give the tanning bed a wide berth though. They are no benefit, seeing they cause skin cancer.
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    Most gyms will let you use them for free a few times before joining. If they don't then they aren't worth spending money on. Try it and see if you like it before signing anything. Many people thrive in that kind of environment and many don't. That is why I strongly suggest checking it out a few times first.

Read the fine print on the contract and make sure you know exactly what you are getting charged and what the charges are for. Gyms seem to love to bury things in the small print.

Do a cost to benefit analysis. How likely are you to get your money out of the membership? How many hours per week can you realistically spend in the gym?

Gyms can have some wonderful benefits, classes, trainers, dietitians and peer support. They can also be a harsh, judgmental and sometimes even hostile environment. This is why I strongly recommend going for a week before signing anything.

Good luck. Have fun. Be healthy.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I love, Love, LOVE the gym! Not only can you meet great people, but there are so many options! I love the equipment in the gym, but my favorite things are actually the group exercise classes! Plus, you can go to the gym in bad weather...you can't always walk or run! I love spinning, body combat, body step, yoga, and much, much more. I say GO FOR IT! :D
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I love the gym and find that I workout much harder there, plus there are so many options! I really rely on the mirror to watch my form when strength training. When I work out at home my dog thinks it's time to play or I start cleaning in between sets and get distracted... at the gym I just get in, work out and go! It's motivating being around like-minded people!

And you have a friend there already!
  • LisaMariaCallow
    Options
    I LOVE my gym!! It doesn't have all the amenities of some of the newer gyms, but it's very close to both home and work, I'm very comfortable there (I've been a member for about 4 yrs), and most of all, I work my *kitten* off-literally!!

If it helps to motivate you (and it does for me!!) then join!! It's not gonna cost you much $$, and you'll no doubt see a difference in your body!

Good luck! :happy:
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Adding weight training will add more lean muscle and help with weight loss.
  • jennysmission
    jennysmission Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Most gyms will let you use them for free a few times before joining. If they don't then they aren't worth spending money on. Try it and see if you like it before signing anything. Many people thrive in that kind of environment and many don't. That is why I strongly suggest checking it out a few times first.

Read the fine print on the contract and make sure you know exactly what you are getting charged and what the charges are for. Gyms seem to love to bury things in the small print.

Do a cost to benefit analysis. How likely are you to get your money out of the membership? How many hours per week can you realistically spend in the gym?

Gyms can have some wonderful benefits, classes, trainers, dietitians and peer support. They can also be a harsh, judgmental and sometimes even hostile environment. This is why I strongly recommend going for a week before signing anything.

Good luck. Have fun. Be healthy.

probley a very very good idea!
  • mrsdauer
    mrsdauer Posts: 102
    Options
    thanks to everyone for your input! i think im going to take the great advise of trying it out first... i can get a free 7day trial....i think that will tell me right off the bat how often i will make it out to exercise, what the environment is like, ect....

thanks again for your advise :)