organic ?

Options
Ive been on an all organic diet, i guess you could say. I just started the diet a few months ago to lose weight, and im almost at my goal. i eat lots of fruits and veggies, grilled chicken , turkey breast , soymilk etc. I never ever touch candy, cookies, fried things, even red meat . Pretty much anything with a lot of fat/sugar. So i was wondering when i want to come off this all "organic" diet and start to eat everything in moderation (add more fat and non organic items) will i gain weight ? How do you think my body would ajust to coming off an all organic diet ? someone please help me out , any tips , self experience is much apperciated ! xx

Replies

• shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    i don't have a answer but i wouldn't give up the organic lifestyle
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I think there would be virtually no difference, other than perhaps some things might taste more "chemically" or something, but even that seems like a stretch.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    When you start eating very clean (not necessarily organic) your body cleans itself out and becomes accustomed to being treated well. When you suddently start putting toxic processed foods back into your body, you will definitely feel it because your body no longer tolerates the chemicals as well as it did when it had no other option.
    You'll definitely become more in tune with your body and you will be able to tell right away whether something you ate was good for you or not.
    For me, I won't touch sweets or breads because immediately my blood sugar will crash and I'll have zero energy.
  • JaydenDraco
    Options
    I can tell you from experience that once you go back to eating none organic food, you will feel awful every time you eat. Most of everything will probably make you sick. When you eat organic you are helping your body heal and you are getting healthier by doing so, you are not eating all those chemicals they add to food. You will want to go back to eating organic soon after I guarantee it. Whether you gain all the weight back, well it all depends what you eat if you start to eat fatty food then yes, you will gain it all back and fast. If you stay eating healthier food, organic or not, you wont gain it. But I will recommend you to stay eating organic and also eat local. I use to get heartburn almost every time I ate. I haven't had any heartburn or stomach issues since I've stared eating organic, almost 4 years now. Hope my answer helps you. :)
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm not understanding why you would change? You should be eating healthier for the very reason of being ... Ummmm... Healthier... If you were looking for a quick fix then I'm afraid you might just go back to bad habits and be back where you started soo .... You don't want to yo yo, so my suggestion is to continue eating clean!
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to get off organic foods? Organic foods are not specifically for weight loss. They're a lifestyle and the very best one. Processed foods has all sorts of bad things in it like antibiotics, palm oil and other things. Real organic foods are healthy and for a healthy lifestyle -- no matter what you weigh. I don't think anyone can tell you if you'll gain weight if you get off organic food because people lose weight on all sorts of food. That's up to you.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    My roomie found a worm in an organic pear once. I wont eat organic fruits because of it. ewww

I agree with Taso. Things might be a bit more chemical tasting, but other than that there shouldn't be much of a difference
  • Muir78
    Muir78 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people make the mistake that "organic" = "good for you." There are numerous organic foods out there that are high in sugar, fat, etc. that wouldn't make many folks lists of "healthy foods."

As others have said, reintroducing processed foods, preservatives and other chemicals may make you *feel* different, especially if your body is no longer used to the additives. However, even if you want to introduce additional fats and sugars into your diet, there's no reason you couldn't do it with organic ingredients or even organic prepared foods.

Personally, I try to eat organic foods whenever I have the option. Not because they're necessarily "healthy" but because I'd like to limit the additional chemicals entering my body.
  • SimpleStepsHealthCoach
    Options
    Hi Sunshine_88,

I would really put some consideration in staying with being organic. The hardest part of going organic is making the change - which you did. However, if you really want to move away from it all I can say is, you will definitely have an upset stomach. I've heard other cases were people have diarrhea or vomit. I personally don't know as I have never moved away from an organic lifestyle since I made the change.

If you consider staying organic join our group, we'd love to have you:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/550-certified-organic

Best of luck in whatever you do!

y.