Cooking Challenge: Cinnamon

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the fifty-fifth round of the cooking challenge! This challenge comes to us from metal_beau winner of the broccoli cooking challenge.

ceylon_cinnamon.jpg

This week's challenge is CINNAMON. In whatever form you decide to use, your dish must use cinnamon!

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday November 12th at 5PM Pacific Standard Time

Replies

• k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    bump
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    How do you use cinnamon?
  • Scarl3tt
    Options
    Bump
  • cajunlady56
    cajunlady56 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    BUMP! This is the best challenge yet - Cinnamon is my top most frequently used food on MFP :blushing:

LOVE it.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Spiced bulghar wheat stuffed chicken breasts (Morroccan style)

N.B if you cannot get hold of bulghar wheat then you can use quinoa, pearl barley or cous cous.

400 cals per portion- serves 4.

STUFFING:

100g (approx 3.5 oz) Bulghar wheat (or alternative grain- see above)
    25g sultanas or raisins
    50g toasted flaked almonds
    1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
    2 tsp fresh root ginger, chopped finely
    1 large onion, chopped finely
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 tsp garam masala
    20g chopped fresh coriander (Cilantro)

4 large chicken breast fillets (Skinless & boneless), butterflied (Cut open like a book).

METHOD:

1. Cook your grain as per the packet instructions.

2. In a hot pan, add a little evoo or spray oil and sweat the onion, garlic, ginger and then add the spices.

3. Add the onion/spice mix to the cooked bulghar wheat. Add the raisins/sultanas, chopped coriander (cilantro) and almonds. Mix together and season with S&P.

4. Stuff each chicken breast with mix. Secure the chicken breast with a toothpick (soaked in water first) if you like. Rub a little oil or spray oil and sprinkle a little extra cinnamon.

place the chicken breasts together in a baking dish. Bake for 25 mins at 200 degrees celcius/ 400 degrees Farenheit.

Serve with Honey basted pumpkin/butternut wedges and greens.

Tip: The stuffing is amazing cold the next day in a salad so I purposefully make too much!!!
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    And another....... Just because the winter and festive season is almost upon us

Festive hot spiced cider- serves 6- 114 cals per cup

INGREDIENTS

1 litre/ 33 fluid ounces dry cider
    2 tbsp brown sugar or 2 tbsp runny honey
    100ml spiced rum (like morgans spiced, lambs spiced, sailor jerry's)
    8 cinnamon sticks (6 for garnish, 2 for the recipe)
    4 cloves
    1/2 tsp nutmeg

METHOD:

Warm through all ingredients in a pan (except the 6 cinnamon sticks for decoration) until sugar dissolves and liquid is warm. Serve in heat proof glasses/ cups and add the cinnamon stick for decoration.

Drink :o)
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Bumperiffic!
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    Hasnt anyone got any more cinnamon recipes?
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    I'll have one sometime this week.. :P
  • Liliswen
    Options
    Baked Oatmeal
    Serves 8
    139 Calories per serving

3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
    5 TBSP Splenda
    2 tsp Baking Powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    Cinnamon to taste (I use about 1 1/2 - 2 TBSP)
    1 c unsweetened apple sauce
    1/2 cup egg substitute or 2 large egg whites
    1 cup water
    1TBSP Brown Sugar

Preheat oven to 350

Mix all ingredients except brown sugar in a bowl. Pour into a sprayed 8x8 baking dish. Sprinkle top evenly with brown sugar.

Bake for 30-35 minutes.

Cut into 8 even pieces. I make mine into triangles.

I love this recipe because I can eat it like a muffin while I drive to work in the morning. I keep it in the fridge and it provides me breakfast for a week. i pair it with a banana and my coffee and I'm good to go till lunch.

Enjoy!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Patitsio
    INGREDIENTS:

1/2 lb noodles, cooked
    1 lb ground beef
    1 medium onion, diced
    2 tbsp beef broth
    2 tbsp white wine
    1/2 can tomato paste
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    3 tbsp Brummel&Brown yogurt spread
    1/4 cup flour
    1 1/2 cup milk
    pinch of cayenne
    2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 can petite diced tomatoes

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat the oven to 375. In a large saucepan cook the meat for 6-8 minutes, until no longer pink. Add the onions and garlic, stirring until translucent.

2. Add the broth and wine, and cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated.

3. Stir in tomato paste, tomatoes, cinnamon, and 1 cup of water. Stir and cook until thickened, about 15-20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

4. While this is cooking, prepare the cheese sauce. In a medium saucepan, melt the Brummel&Brown over medium heat; whisk in flour until incorporated. Whisk in the milk until there are no lumps.

5. Cook, whisking often, until the mixture is thick and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Stir in the cayenne and Parmesan.

6. Add the pasta to the ground beef. Transfer to a baking dish and cover with the cheese sauce. Bake for 35 minutes.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 407
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 6
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: This is one of my favorite pasta dishes, that I had totally forgot about! The flavor of the cinnamon is mild, but delicious. I still have the flavor in my mouth and wish I could eat more of it.

PICTURE (optional): IMG_6519.jpg
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Cinnamon entries are due tomorrow!
  • RoadsterMomma
    RoadsterMomma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bumping for baked oatmeal. Do you have the caloric breakdown?
  • RoadsterMomma
    RoadsterMomma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Spice Crock Pot Bread Pudding from Skinny Crock Pot
    Ingredients

1-1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
    3/4 cups canned pumpkin, no sugar added
    1/2 cup honey
    1 whole egg
    4 egg whites
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. ginger
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice
    Pinch of ground cloves
    5 cups whole grain bread, cubed, no sugar added

Directions

Combine everything but the bread in a mixing bowl and whisk until well combined. Place the bread in the crock pot and pour the pumpkin mixture over the bread.
    Time: 4-6 hours (Ours cooked in 4 hours, 10 minutes)
    Temp: Low
    Minimum crock pot size: 4 qt Makes 8 servings

Yield: 8 servings (cut like a pie)

Nutrition Data For THIS Recipe (Note: This data will vary slightly based on bread used) Serving Size: 1/8 of the entire recipe

Calories: 155 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 26 mg Sodium: 162 mg Carbohydrates: 30g Dietary Fiber: 2g Sugars: 20g Protein: 6g

I plan to make this for Thanksgiving- with skim milk instead of almond milk and will add raisins and increase the cinnamon. :love:
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    The poll is up and all votes are due by Wednesday November 16th!
    Vote for your favorite of the cinnamon recipes!

http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Patitsio
    INGREDIENTS:

1/2 lb noodles, cooked
    1 lb ground beef
    1 medium onion, diced
    2 tbsp beef broth
    2 tbsp white wine
    1/2 can tomato paste
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    3 tbsp Brummel&Brown yogurt spread
    1/4 cup flour
    1 1/2 cup milk
    pinch of cayenne
    2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 can petite diced tomatoes

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat the oven to 375. In a large saucepan cook the meat for 6-8 minutes, until no longer pink. Add the onions and garlic, stirring until translucent.

2. Add the broth and wine, and cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated.

3. Stir in tomato paste, tomatoes, cinnamon, and 1 cup of water. Stir and cook until thickened, about 15-20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

4. While this is cooking, prepare the cheese sauce. In a medium saucepan, melt the Brummel&Brown over medium heat; whisk in flour until incorporated. Whisk in the milk until there are no lumps.

5. Cook, whisking often, until the mixture is thick and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Stir in the cayenne and Parmesan.

6. Add the pasta to the ground beef. Transfer to a baking dish and cover with the cheese sauce. Bake for 35 minutes.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 407
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 6
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: This is one of my favorite pasta dishes, that I had totally forgot about! The flavor of the cinnamon is mild, but delicious. I still have the flavor in my mouth and wish I could eat more of it.

PICTURE (optional): IMG_6519.jpg

Ooh I make this all the time and can vouch it tastes delicious!! Its a greek dish inspired by the Italians.

I make mine with pasta shapes (like penne or fusilli or macaroni).