How often you weigh in and do you stop eating after a certai

Options
I am just wondering how often people weigh in? I use Mondays as my weigh in and not sure if I should weigh in less or more. Also, I'd like to know if anyone else stops eating at a certain time? I never eat past 7pm, didn't know if that was a stupid "diet" move or not. Thank you :)

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I weigh in each morning. I am in maintenance, but this helps me to know that all is well. It helps me to realize when something is messing with my weight (I've recently concluded that any type of energy drinks makes my weight go up - I figured this out by weighing in everyday). It helps keep me on track.

Everything I've read says it is more about WHAT you are eating than WHEN you eating it. I always eat something right before bed - otherwise, I will wake up starving in the middle of the night and want to binge on cookies or something. Having cottage cheese or something prior to bed stops that. :)
  • auntied
    auntied Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure on Fridays! And I eat when ever I'm hungry IF I have the calories. I used to weigh in on Sundays but my husband is home the weekends and sometime I blow it. I work harder if I did! Good luck and just do what ever works for you...
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Fridays. I used to do Monday, but typically people eat worse on the weekends, so when Monday rolls around you're retaining some water and not getting an accurate weigh-in. I'm actually a scale-*kitten*, though, so I weigh myself almost every day just out of curiosity, but only log Friday's weight.

As far as eating past a certain time - I eat whenever I want. A lot of times I don't get home from the gym until 6:30 or 6:45 and there's no way I can have dinner done and consumed before 7.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I weigh the same day/time each week, first thing after bathroom and before eating/drinking. I don't stop eating at any certain time, my husband and I eat our supper anytime between 7 and 8 most nights. It really does not matter since its the amount of calories taken in vs the amount of calories burned period. :flowerforyou:
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself every day (in the morning, naked, after going to the bathroom) but only log it on sundays.
    i dont stop eating at a certain time.. if im hungry after i exercise at 10pm, ill eat. usually eat dinner around 7 or 8
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week (Sunday) in the morning (between 8 and 9 usually).

As far as what time to stop eating (don't eat late etc) you'll find a lot of argument on that.
    I've never had a problem. I eat any time of day when I'm hungry.
    I've eaten at 10 or 11pm and have lost weight. I just make sure if there's quite a bit of sodium
    that I drink 4 cups of water or tea (natural diuretic) the night before I weigh in, as to flush my system.
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I only weigh in on the first day of every month. In the past I weighed in too much and got discouraged and quit easily. So now I only weigh in once a month and I think it's helping. :)
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning after going to the toilet since I know my weight has a tendency to fluctuate a lot due to different circumstances. What I do is I record and log the lowest weight from each week here on MFP. I get that this does not work for everybody but I dont see the point on deceding on one day when you might been weighing less the day before or might be weighing less the day after. Your body has no way of knowing its time to weigh in. Any gain that is with in the range of 0.5 -2 pounds might as well be water, its not realstic to think you can gain that amount of fat overnight ( unless youve eaten way past your calorie goal).
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I am a daily "weigher"...I know this is contrary to what most people do, but it works for me.

I actually wrote a blog about it recently - feel free to check it out if you want to know more about why I have chosen this route!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/carolina_r

As for the timing thing, who knows? It seems that, no matter what eating / exercise idea you can dream of, there is someone out there saying it is "correct". I find it rather frustrating at times...In the end, I try to use my hunger cues, along with regular snacks and my calorie allotment to decide what / when I eat. Sometimes I'm done after dinner, but sometimes I need a snack. As long as I have the space, I try not to let myself get hungry. I also sometimes have these strange "not very hungry" days, where I am too low on calories, and I make sure to eat a little more to get me to a reasonable level.

Hope this helps!
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    I do weigh ins once a month its less stressful
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    every other day, naked in the morning after bathroom . i log every monday usualy . that is unless i get a number im really happy with a few days before but then i work to beat or keep thatnumber for monday so i know im still in the right mindset
  • Shausil82
    Shausil82 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Sundays. As far as eating is concerned, I try not to eat after 7pm. On Tuesdays, I work until 7pm, so I end up eating between 7:30 and 8:30.
  • hhcote
    hhcote Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Friday a.m., same time, same clothes.
  • FancyChick305
    Options
    I weigh in every Monday morning. My weak times is on the weekend. I start a new diet this week so I should be in pretty good shape by Monday. I am doing the Fat Burning Soup Diet. Has anyone ever done this?
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i weigh in every day - i think its a great measure to track what foods work for you and what don't... For example, looking at previous reports i had a spike in weight over a course of one week - when i tracked that against the types of foods i was eating that week, and the level of excersise i was doing i realized i had eaten a significant amount more of carb-ladden foods and done a lot less exercise.

I also like it as i can tell that if i eat a day of many carbs, then i can weigh in heavier of up to half a kilo the following day - it keeps me within the 2 kilogram range each day to weigh in daily.
  • crazygirl78
    Options
    So glad to hear people weigh everyday. I've always heard not to do that, but it is so hard to wait until my day to weigh in. I now feel it is okay to be a "scale *kitten*."
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear people weigh everyday. I've always heard not to do that, but it is so hard to wait until my day to weigh in. I now feel it is okay to be a "scale *kitten*."

A lot of people say that weighing everyday causes more stress on you because our weight fluctuates so much. For me, weighing everyday has taught me a lot about my body's normal ups and downs. I know that if I don't drink enough water - I will likely be up 1-2lbs the next day. In recent days, I've come to realize that drinking energy drinks too often will cause a big spike in my weight. It has just taught me a lot about my own body and how it reacts to different foods, working out, etc. It helps to keep the "OMG! I gained a pound" freak outs to a minimum because I've learned what to expect based on what I'm eating/doing the day before. :)

I should note that it doesn't work for everyone and that's okay... I definitely tell people to do what works for THEM and weighing everyday works best for me. :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day but..... how should I put this..... I believe I'm mentally well-grounded when it comes to reading the scale and not overreacting based on what it says.

I would only make desicions based on this, every couple of weeks -- but so far (fortunately) things have pretty much been going as planned and the mirror is making my decisions for me.

For the majorty though, I'd say once per week, maybe twice per week is reasonable. Not freaking out over the results would be a good trait to have as well. Plenty of posts pop up about "OMG I GAINED 2 LBS OVERNIGHT" because people don't understand the concept of water weight/internal contents/etc etc etc.

As far as meal timing, I'd not pay any attention to it. (Bluntly, it makes zero difference whether you eat your calories before bed or in the AM, metabolically speaking).

You should always always always base your meal timing on:

1) Personal preference
    2) Athletic/gym performace

And hopefully you can find one solution that satisfies both of the above.