Minor rant...do you get the "stop losing weight" comment

Options

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Don't get too wrapped up in BMI and what is "overweight". Most any woman can be perfectly healthy at 154 pounds. Focus more on how you feel and what your goals are, not some arbitrary number that only applies to "average" people, when nobody's average. On the other hand, though, don't ignore what others around you are saying. While others can see that you're looking better than 99% of women, you could still be obsessing over the little bit of fat that's stuck on your thighs.
    Please don't say that. There is no number that would be perfectly healthy for MOST women. If she thinks she needs to lose a bit more then just take her at her word. You aren't helping - you're doing the same thing she's complaining about.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Yup happens to me all the time. My big problem is Ive always carried my weight well and when I tell people how much Ive lost they seem to think Im losing my mind. But remeber the majorety of Americans are overweight and alot of them think they look fine so a healthy BMI probably would make you to skinny in thier eyes. But you know what you say to that F%$# em its you that needs to be happy with you .

LOL so true!
  • kaaaayla
    kaaaayla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I get that from my grandma every time I see her. She's just used to me being chunkier. In high school I got up to 155ish lbs, but I'm 5'5 so that's on the borderline of overweight according to BMI index. Now I'm about 130 and my grandma thinks I need to gain that weight back. I'm much more confident without an extra 20 lbs on my body, and I really don't want it back.
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I've decided nobody is going to make me feel bad or stop doi g what I want to do.
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Yep!!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    A lot of it is jealousy. Or they're just used to seeing you overweight, so they're comparing you to the old you, not to average people. If you maintain your loss, the comments will stop. Just hope you don't regain or these same people may tell you that you're gaining it back. I changed jobs so that people would just know me at this weight, It worked. No more comments about being "too thin".
  • em1976
    em1976 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    After a year overseas and working very hard to lose weight I went back to oz to visit my family.My fathers first comment 'you look sick,your too thin'.I have a few kilos left and I was to that point very proud of myself to be where I was weight wise.I was upset and for awhile wondered if Id taken it too far but then bub got stuck into dad telling him how unhappy Id been when I was big and how he'd never spoke up and told us we were unhealthy.This was always done for me,so Ill go till I'm finished and Ive reached the goal weight I have set myself.People that see me everyday never comment but those that had not seen me for the year all bar one said I was way too skinny.It was my little sister (bub) who has been with me from day dot that told me,'Its your body,its your goal weight so no matter what others say,you need to be happy with how you are'.

No one told me I was big,no one said a damn thing at how unhealthy I was,how I was getting bigger and bigger,they just let me carry on.Now,well,they feel they can comment when they like.I'm aware I would have been hurt back then if I was told I was overweight,but a simple well done goes so much further now than the criticism I received.
  • TBirdGirl
    TBirdGirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ckoudsi617
    Options
    Just start singing, "Pretty Girl Rock": Don't HATE me 'cause I'm beautiful...Don't HATE my 'cause I'm beautiful! ;)

Seriously, you're right. No one can get in your way. Your "right weight" is what's right for YOU, when you feel at your best.

Cheers!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Kikkipoo, please don't take this the wrong way, but the bmi is only the ratio between your height and weight. The bmi doesn't know how much fat is on your body. According to the bmi, bodybuilders are overweight.

If in the future you decide you want to build lean muscle, your bmi will show that you are overweight, even if you have a 10% body fat percentage.

I don't care about my bmi, I care about my body fat percentage, because it lets me know how much fat is on my body and if I am going in the right direction. When I get down to my body fat percentage goal, my bmi will still state that I'm overweight and I'm fine with that. My body fat percentage will say I'm healthy.

I hope I haven't offended you with my comment.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Don't get too wrapped up in BMI and what is "overweight". Most any woman can be perfectly healthy at 154 pounds. Focus more on how you feel and what your goals are, not some arbitrary number that only applies to "average" people, when nobody's average. On the other hand, though, don't ignore what others around you are saying. While others can see that you're looking better than 99% of women, you could still be obsessing over the little bit of fat that's stuck on your thighs.
    Please don't say that. There is no number that would be perfectly healthy for MOST women. If she thinks she needs to lose a bit more then just take her at her word. You aren't helping - you're doing the same thing she's complaining about.

However, basing your goal weight strictly on BMI, which is only intended to represent broad population groups, and means absolutely nothing for individual people, is not always the best way to go about it. For instance, for me to get down to a "normal" BMI, I'd have to drop down to 0% body fat and amputate both of my arms. So while BMI says I should weigh no more than 160, I'm perfectly happy walking around at about 200. Relying solely on the scale isn't really the healthiest way to go.
  • ckoudsi617
    Options
    i tell them they should stop gaining weight.

LOL! (BTW: Loved the "cake post", too!)
  • kikkipoo
    Options
    Kikkipoo, please don't take this the wrong way, but the bmi is only the ratio between your height and weight. The bmi doesn't know how much fat is on your body. According to the bmi, bodybuilders are overweight.

If in the future you decide you want to build lean muscle, your bmi will show that you are overweight, even if you have a 10% body fat percentage.

I don't care about my bmi, I care about my body fat percentage, because it lets me know how much fat is on my body and if I am going in the right direction. When I get down to my body fat percentage goal, my bmi will still state that I'm overweight and I'm fine with that. My body fat percentage will say I'm healthy.

I hope I haven't offended you with my comment.

Zero offense taken. You're absolutely right, and I do stay highly aware of my body fat % as well. It's telling the same story. My bf% is just shy of 30. I'm in the high risk zone still. My ultimate goal has nothing to do with my BMI. I'm aiming for approximately 140 pounds, but achieving 20% bf%. So, I'm trying to lose another 25 pounds of fat and gain 10 pounds of muscle. I want to be lean but have great strength and definition. I have just recently opted to bump my calories up, reduce cardio and go hard on strength training. At my old regimen I was losing muscle as fast as I was fat.
  • Hurrricanejane
    Options
    I get it all the time. My parents get upset when I refuse to go out to eat pizza. I'm so focused on my goal, I don't want to risk getting off track. Do what you want as long as you're healthy. :)
  • isabellammm
    isabellammm Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It's so annoying! I decided to listen to everyone about a month ago when i was 3 pounds away from my goal (i only wanted to lose 14 anyway) so I started eating more and exercising less.. and now a month later I've put on 7 pounds that I spent so many nights working out to lose :-(

So stay strong! Don't let them influence you. You're doing what's right for your body. Awesome job so far though :-)
  • kikkipoo
    Options
    I get it all the time. My parents get upset when I refuse to go out to eat pizza. I'm so focused on my goal, I don't want to risk getting off track. Do what you want as long as you're healthy. :)

Agreed! I think the fact that I do refuse to do things I used to is what get's upsetting. Like I'm now taking away from them too because they only want to spend time with me doing the same unhealthy habits that we always did, mostly drinking and eating. So, yes, I'm being selfish and saying no a lot more and to them I am being obsessive and unsocial, but geez, ask me to go to the park or for a walk or to go bowling or anything else and you may see I'm not quite as bitc*y about having to repeat myself on the constant about how that stuff doesn't fit into my new lifestyle.
  • kikkipoo
    Options
    It's so annoying! I decided to listen to everyone about a month ago when i was 3 pounds away from my goal (i only wanted to lose 14 anyway) so I started eating more and exercising less.. and now a month later I've put on 7 pounds that I spent so many nights working out to lose :-(

So stay strong! Don't let them influence you. You're doing what's right for your body. Awesome job so far though :-)

One of my biggest fears and backsliding and defeating the purpose of all my hard work. I admit I'm an all or nothing kind of person, at least until something becomes routine....and that's just how it's got to be.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Listen to you heart. And nothing else.
  • kikkipoo
    Options
    Thanks to all for the encouragement. I like that I am in the best shape of my life, but I'm more excited now than ever to see what I'm capable of. What's great is that it's my body to do as I please with,and with the many programs available I am capable of experimenting to obtain not only what looks best on me, but what makes me feel the healthiest and most energetic. Right now I want to gain muscle, but I know that if I get bulky and dissatisfied, I can quite easily alter my approach and lean out. If I feel too thin, I can add bulk in all the right places. There's nothing I can't undo, so I might as well just see what suits me best.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I got that for the first time today. I'm at 147, and 145 is just in the normal zone for me. My coworker asked me if I was done losing, and I told her my goal was to be 5 - 10 lbs lower than overweight, and that I'd re-evaluate when I got there. She then told me she thought the BMI ranges were bogus and I didn't need to weigh less. Seemed a little disgusted, really. I personally don't care. When I started this journey, I really didn't think I'd be able to lose more than a pound or two. The reality is that I want to be healthier and less weight is a start in the right direction.