Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What do you look for in a roommate?

_Ben
_Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
Hey guys,
I just bought a condo, and currently on the hunt for a roommate. Ive always just gone in blind in the past with roommates, but now that I actually own the condo, I can interview and such. Im meeting with someone tomorrow, but Im just curious, what do you look for in a good roommate. For me some things to not is Im in college, will be for the next 4.5 years. I have a girlfriend, I work, and I dont party all that much, maybe once every other week. Just like to hear your guys opinions

Replies

• Not a slob! I have had roommates that were just disgusting :P
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Regular income
    No pets
    Hot friends

:)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Just look for someone with a similar lifestyle. One thing that you should discuss is having girlfriends staying over. If they stay all the time and aren't contributing, that can become an issue between roommates.
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    I have a 19 yr old roommate who drinks, smokes weed, plays loud music at 7am every single effing day, puts out his cigarettes in the bathroom sink, takes all the cups and plates from the kitchen and leaves them in his room when he's done, leaves his garbage bags in the hallway like if he has some sort of maid to take them outside for him, doesn't do the dishes, takes things without permission, always has people over that are always rude and I even encountered two young guys walking around our house without their shirts on.

I so wish I could kick him out, BUT its not up to me, and he's the roommate [the one who's name is on the lease]'s brother, who coincidentally is my boyfriend's best friend. Go figure.

Oh! And since he's family, he doesn't pay rent even though he makes like $1,000 every 2 weeks. SOB.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Steady income if our leases are not individual
    Clean (unlike my current roommate)
    Same interests/personality (I am very studious, eat healthy, and love to workout...my roommate loves to party, have fast food 3x a week, and never workout)
    Someone I can keep a steady conversation with

:)

My current roommate is horrible...she has people over pretty much every night until late hours, never cleans up after herself even if she uses my cookware, and we're totally opposite. I can't wait to live with different people next year!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    A wise person once told me that the only kind of roommate worth having is the kind that you sleep with... :bigsmile:
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    A wise person once told me that the only kind of roommate worth having is the kind that you sleep with... :bigsmile:

I like your thinking ;)

Bud find someone with similar interests and make sure he cleans up after himself...also avoid woman =)
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Common interests and respectufulness! I have four roommates and we all get along really well.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Steady job history - you don't want someone who can't keep a job because that probably means they can't pay their bills and you end up having to cover for them or you kick them out and you're back to searching.

Personality is another good one - if you guys don't get a long at all, you're going to be miserable!
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Just look for someone with a similar lifestyle. One thing that you should discuss is having girlfriends staying over. If they stay all the time and aren't contributing, that can become an issue between roommates.

Contrarian is right. Ive been in a couple of bad roommate situations and prolonged guests played a role.
  • _Ben
    One big plus is we are not letting him sign a lease, because its month to month. Or at least not a long term lease. So we can kick him out whenever we need too lol
  • I have a home and I rent out two bedrooms to renters. Both guys have lived with me for 1 1/2 years. I recommend doing a month to month lease with 30 days notice. That way if things aren't working out either party can go their separate ways. One thing that's nice but not mandatory is if you work opposite schedules. If you work days and your renter works nights or graveyard you will have the house to yourself. You will also have a little more respect for each other when it comes to noise levels. Also, different states have renters rights. Find out what yours are. When you post an ad for your room, make sure you don't post any discriminatory standards. Race, sexual orientation, etc. You are allowed to discriminate just not in your ad. You can read the fair housing act for more info.

hope this helps
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    One big plus is we are not letting him sign a lease, because its month to month. Or at least not a long term lease. So we can kick him out whenever we need too lol

Even if you aren't having him sign a lease there should at least be some kind of rental agreement. That way if you do have to kick him out you can say, "You violated xyz..."

Everyone should know the rules and agree.
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    I agree with the posters who want specific, but flexible renter's agreements. Double check state law, first, though.

When interviewing, ask about their friends, hobbies and stuff. Ask follow ups, but nothing probing. Something like, "Oh, you play hockey? That's pretty cool. Where do you play?" If the person starts to say negative things, "I play at Bob's Rink, and it kinda sucks because the ice isn't icy enough," I'd be wary. It's difficult to live with someone who complains a lot. Also in the interview, I'm wary of people who have no questions or concerns for me. "Really? The place is great, and I'm great? Flattering, but the place isn't perfect, and neither am I." I find it better when people come into a roommate situation knowing a bit more about the pluses and minuses of the place. It prevents disappointment and conflict later.
  • _Ben
    Well meeting the guy later today, will let you know how it goes