Need encouragement for Couch to 5K. I am so not a runner.

Options
I actually started this program back in June. The first workout, I thought I was going to die. I have never been a runner/jogger. I can walk pretty fast, but when it comes to jogging, I have zero endurance. I stuck with the program for several weeks, but was not able to get past the week where you have to jog for 3 minutes straight. It seems 2 minutes of straight jogging is my limit. I know everyone says to keep going and you build endurance, but I am completely discouraged that I just can't seem to move beyond this. I stopped the program for a while, and did just walking or biking, which I found much easier than the jogging. However -- one of my goals in life is to be able to jog an entire mile without stopping. It might not seem like a huge goal to some, but to me -- I can't even fathom doing that right now. Everyone says just keep going but honestly at this rate, it seems like it will take me years to reach this goal, if ever. I have started up again on the program and just keep repeating Week 1 or 2. I tried doing the 3 minute jog again, but no way. I don't know what it is ....I am out of breath, but not to the point where I am going to pass out. I just get to a point where I just think - I HATE THIS!!!! and stop jogging. I just feel like my endurance level is topped out and it will never improve. Any words of wisdom?

Replies

• JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I made a post like this not too long ago.. and had several people say this to me... You don't have to be a runner. There is nothing in fitness that says you MUST run or you'll never be in shape. If you enjoy brisk walking, and it works for you, I say stick to that. Don't do something you hate.

If you want to push yourself physically with something new, try something else you might like better than running-swimming, biking, hiking trails, etc.
  • flamegirl72
    flamegirl72 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My first question is why are you doing couch to 5K? Do you WANT to be a runner? Is it to burn calories, get in cardio and get fit? Is it because so many others are doing it? I tried c25k a few times and got to maybe week 2 or 3 and quit and then beat myself up for not sticking to it. I have always had it in my head that I wanted to work up to a marathon some day...but every time I tried I just ended up frustrated and quitting. And finally I came to a realization....I don't really like running!! And that is okay. There are plenty of other things that can get me a great calorie burn or a great workout that I enjoy so much more and are less stressful on my body to boot. I love the burn I get on the elliptical or the bike and truly enjoy my weight training sessions. I look forward to going to the gym!!

And before all the runners out there jump on me for that, I would like to say that I have mad respect for serious runners and would never discourage you or anyone from running. What I am saying is examine your motivation. C25K will definitely help you build endurance and improve your cardiovascular health and if you are enjoying it or have long term goals of running as a regular activity then stick with it and push yourself a little more each session...it will come in time even if you can't increase at the pace they suggest. YOU CAN DO IT!

But if upon examining things you really just hate running...let it go and try something else. You will be so much more likely to stick with an exercise program that you enjoy rather than one that you dread!!

Good luck
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner, and I run because I love it. I started as a non-runner and did the C25K and now i can pick up where I left off, even after a year of a break.

But I enjoy that. Do you know what I hate? I hate Yoga.. I'm terribly uncoordinated and inflexible. I giggle, I think I'm going to fart, I do fart, I fall over, I squeal when I'm trying to balance.. do you know what.. I don't bother with yoga. I'm not going to do something I hate just because someone else recommends it or says I have to - there are plenty of other things I can do.

So while I know you want some encouragement - do you really? Do you REALLY want to be a runner? You can be, you just really do have to stick with it.
  • Debadoo2018
    Debadoo2018 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It might be that I am just not cut out for running....and I'm ok with that. I guess I am just wondering why I don't seem to be able to build up endurance. I see many other people who are not runners, and while it's not easy, they see success from week to week. I really just want to prove to myself that I can do it. I don't want to run marathons, or even a 5K. Just one mile would be the ultimate success for me!

I don't like this workout because...it's hard!! And I'm lazy!! :) But, I am hoping that it will grow on me. LOL. The reason being, I do feel that I am getting the best workout for my time. I don't work up as much of a sweat on the bike or walking, and I like that this program is a hard workout in 30 minutes. I just hate doing it. hahaha. I guess you can't have your (low-fat) cake and eat it too.
  • stacybee14
    stacybee14 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters. There's no rule that says you have to be a runner in order to be fit. (No disrespect to runners, of course!) Back in January, when I was trying to set some fitness goals, I thought about setting one for being able to run a certain distance, much like you have. But after thinking about it, I realized that I would just be setting myself up for failure and disappointment. I hate running! I always have, even when I was in varsity sports in high school and in pretty good shape. So I set a different goal. I love step aerobics, and I've always wanted to be able to do Cathe Friedrich's workouts (she's pretty advanced). So my goal was to be able to do one of her advanced workouts all the way through without stopping. And I accomplished it, and then some (I now own several of her videos). It was a goal I enjoyed working toward - not one that filled me with dread.

So, my advice would be to pick something you enjoy and work toward becoming better at it. Maybe as that new goal helps you become fitter, you'll be motivated to pick up your running goals again. Or maybe not - and that's fine too! Good luck to you! :)
  • Debadoo2018
    Options
    [quote

I think I'm going to fart, I do fart, I fall over, I squeal when I'm trying to balance.. do you know what.. I don't bother with yoga. I'm not going to do something I hate just because someone else recommends it or says I have to - there are plenty of other things I can do.
    [/quote]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I hear farting is quite common in Yoga. Doesn't make it any less awkward though!!!
  • Jennifer7Five
    Jennifer7Five Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You may be going too fast! Try slowing down or keeping a steadier pace to make it the full 3 min. Don't worry about how fast you are going. The first time I did C25K I was at a very slow jog (< 5.0 on the treadmill) I was passed by speed walkers. My pace gradually increased on it's own. Once you have built up the distance, you can always go back later and increase speed. It also helps me if I don't watch the clock- seems easier somehow. Good luck to you!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    everyone has some good points.

I use to love running when I was in high school, then I hated it... for a very long time (over a decade). About a year ago I tried it again, and I didn't mind it.
    The reason I hated it was because it hurt my lungs, and my legs.
    I now know that the reason I hated it was because i was not there cardio wise. And I wasn't doing it enough (hence why my legs hurt - shin splints).

do you have a hrm?
    If you do, pay close attention to it. See when you are in the zone, and how long for.

you may also want to try fartlek. It has nothing to do with farting lmao. It's a swedish word meaning speed play.
    you can read about it here. http://www.coolrunning.com.au/expert/1997c002.shtml
    but basically it is a sporadic interval training system. You might walk a block, then then sprint to the next letter box, then jog to the next tree, then walk a block etc.
    This will really help build up your cardio endurance.
    I found HIIT workouts really helpful, they made my longer workouts so much easier.
  • allymazz
    allymazz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You may be going too fast! Try slowing down or keeping a steadier pace to make it the full 3 min. Don't worry about how fast you are going.

I agree with this! I started the C25K program on two different occasions and ended up quitting both times because I just hated it. I could hardly run for five minutes without wanting to die! I recently started trying to ease myself back into it again, but this time I slowed down my pace a lot (~5.2). To my surprise, I could run for a whole 20 minutes before I had to stop for a breather! As much as I was hating running, I want to learn to love it. And now that I'm running at a pace that I'm comfortable with, I actually do enjoy it! Even running my first 5k race on Thanksgiving morning :)

Good luck!
  • Debadoo2018
    Options
    I actually run anywhere from 4.5 to 4.9 and think 5.0 is sprinting. :embarassed: And I'm 5'11", so I don't have short legs!! I walk at a 4.0. .

So...I was reading another thread about C25K, and someone mentioned podcasts by, "Chubby Jones". I downloaded her podcasts and just did the Week 1, Day 1, as I am starting from scratch. She was great! Even though I have been doing this workout for a while now, even starting from the beginning is still tough, but I can actually COMPLETE it. I'm sweaty and red afterwards, and feel like I did a good workout. Even "Chubby Jones" herself says she does not like running, but she does it anyway. I like that she talks through some of it....keeps your mind off of it.....has great music...and counts down to when you are going to start running and then stop running.

Feeling like I have not been able to progress has been discouraging, but maybe I as long as I am getting a good workout, who cares?
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Instead of using C25k as a tool to the road to a 5K, why don't you just use it as a cardio tool for now? I mean, just repeat the first week or two and use at a kind of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) session? There's no pressure to "finish" and you'll get some good workouts in. You said you could run two minutes. Why not run one minute at high intensity?

One other thing I noticed when I started to run, is that I would tense my upper body whenever I began the running portion. Once I realized this and learned to relax my upper body, it was a bit easier.

Good luck!
  • meex
    meex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hey guys i just made a group for couch to 5kms http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/712-couch-to-5kms if you want to join please do because i think we can all do with the support!
  • HisBeachgirl
    HisBeachgirl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have NEVER been a runner. Even in high school when I was a skinny teen I couldn't run a 1/4 mile straight. My side hurt, my throat burn and I'd get dizzy. Throughout my adult life I've hated my husband who is a running machine despite being a big time smoker. I used to think that people who proclaimed "I love to run!" were insane! (Maybe I still do.)

However, I just happened to start C25K this week because I was inspired by a woman at church who used the program to get up and going. The first day was like high school all over again. I did not run two and half of the run periods. Day two was a little better, I just couldn't run one and a half of the run periods. But day three I was able to run all the allotted time. I was so stoked! I'm not saying I love running, but I sure loved the feeling I had knowing I was able to do something I wasn't before.

I finally figured out that I had been breathing wrong the whole time. I used to breathe so stinking fast, I sounded like a panting dog. But halfway through day two I learned that I needed to take longer deep breaths. This makes all the difference in the world to me, and I wonder why the heck all these "I love to run!" friends of mine hadn't told me about it earlier! Maybe they figured it was a no brainer, but it certainly wasn't one for me. Deep breaths does not come naturally for me. My body is screaming for oxygen so my lungs want to double pump, but by taking deep breaths they fill with oxygen longer and my body is so much happier for it. When I finished day three my legs were yelling at me, my side however, was pain free!

Obviously, I'm just beginning this C25K journey, and you've certainly have passed me in experience with it. But I just thought I'd through out the proper breathing thing, just in case it helps any one else. Who knows... maybe it really IS a no brainer thing, and I'm the only one who didn't get the memo.
  • Debadoo2018
    Options
    I didn't get the breathing memo either! I've heard breath through your nose and out your mouth. I just can't seem to get enough oxygen in that way...and usually am panting like a dog too! LOL. I will try doing deeper breaths though. Thanks for the tip!!!
  • Debadoo2018
    Options
    Hey guys i just made a group for couch to 5kms http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/712-couch-to-5kms if you want to join please do because i think we can all do with the support!
    YES!!! Joining!!
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I gave up trying to become a runner.

Then I was hit by a car while biking and couldn't walk for five months. I decided to do a 5K just because I'd always wanted to. I did the FLeet feet No boundaries training, a couch to 5K kind of a deal.

I thought I was going to die. I thought the coaches were going to have to pick me up in a car when I couldn't make it back in. I missed a couple of weeks of training when my mom got sick and died and I almost gave up then. But I just kept putting one foot in front of the other and none of those things happened. I finished practices limping badly, but I finished.

It doesn't matter how slowly you go, just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

By the way, I did that 5K, and then a triathlon, then several triathlons... and then several 10Ks and now I'm training for my fourth half marathon.

(All of this is after having my pelvis fractured in three places in my late forties.)
  • Debadoo2018
    Options
    I gave up trying to become a runner.

Then I was hit by a car while biking and couldn't walk for five months. I decided to do a 5K just because I'd always wanted to. I did the FLeet feet No boundaries training, a couch to 5K kind of a deal.

I thought I was going to die. I thought the coaches were going to have to pick me up in a car when I couldn't make it back in. I missed a couple of weeks of training when my mom got sick and died and I almost gave up then. But I just kept putting one foot in front of the other and none of those things happened. I finished practices limping badly, but I finished.

It doesn't matter how slowly you go, just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

By the way, I did that 5K, and then a triathlon, then several triathlons... and then several 10Ks and now I'm training for my fourth half marathon.

(All of this is after having my pelvis fractured in three places in my late forties.)

Wow....you are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about dedication and determination!!
  • HisBeachgirl
    HisBeachgirl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey razzquills!

It's been a few days, I was just wondering if you've given it a shot again, and how you're doing/feeling.
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Raz, I think you can do it, I also think that you may just need a partner in the flesh to do it with.

I'm not going to lie, it is GRUELING work to condition yourself to run in the beginning, because you'll keep hitting that wall & stopping at it if you're not in the right state of mind to push through it. I've coached a few friends--and myself--using a 10-12 week interval training program just like the C25K plan, and having that friend there (to motivate you, to remind you to relax your form & slow your breath) is the key to breaking through that wall in the beginning. Those walls do come down & when they do, they're victorious! And every time you push through one you build a little more confidence in your abilities. It truly feels amazing.

If none of your friends are up for the challenge, look into local running clubs or even hire a trainer for that specific purpose. You won't need them long once you start to see that you can do it. Good luck! :)

However, I may just be saying all of this because I just got in from a quick 8k before dinner. *insert runner's high & elated sigh here, ahhhhhhh* :)
  • Debadoo2018
    Options
    aww, thanks for the check in and extra encouragement! YES, I am back to it! I am starting off from the very beginning again, so I am on Week 1. I found a podcast that "talks" you through it, which I like because it does provide that extra push I need, as well as keeping my mind off the fact that I am running. LOL. I've just never conditioned myself in this way before, and boy it's tough. I want to stick with it because I think it would be just such an accomplishment if I can prove to myself that I can do it (plus get a great workout and burn major calories while doing it). Usually at the gym, there are other people running on a treadmill right beside me and I used to feel embarrassed about my "run for 90 seconds" intervals -- while huffing and puffing and turning 10 shades of red -- as they are running at top notch speeds for the ENTIRE time I am there. Now, it doesn't bother me and I actually think, "Some day, I will be doing that!!" So, gonna keep going!!

And Kasya -- a "quick 8K before dinner" !!!! Wow! Hopefully some day I will be doing that too! ;)