My C25k Day 1 (Youtube)

Overall I think I did ok. I think I was going alittle too fast I seem to have a good sprint going between 3.5-4.5 but I had it at 6.0. I recorded it to look back on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzyju80Tqxw

Replies

• Wahoo! Good for you. I watched your video, and have two suggestions: 1) Try to not use the handrails, and 2) try to keep from leaning forward when you run.

I think when you run with your hands on the rails, it's making you lean forward. For me, when I run with my shoulders back and straight up and down, I don't hurt as much and I can run longer.

Hope that helps! Good luck with the program - I got to week 3 before I broke my foot (unrelated to running) and now I have to sit out ...will be starting again hopefully in December.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    I think you did great! I agree about not hanging on. It's actually not safe to hold on when you are going over 4 mph. Good luck. I can't wait until you make it through your first 5k!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Agreed with the others, you only need to run...not a fast run, just simply where you are picking your feet up more than a walk. Probably go for around 4.5mph to start with. If you're holding on to the handrails(really you only should if you feel you HAVE to), you really are not getting near as much benefit from the workout, as it makes it much easier. Good luck and hang in there!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    I agree too, about not hanging on. But I totally disagree about not leaning. Leaning is one of the crucial components in running though many of the methods that prevent injury, like ChiRunning, Pose, etc. (You can look at YouTubes of the various methods, but they all have lean principles).

Good luck on your C25K journey! I started in May, and could barely make it though day one. But I persisted, and just got back from a run that was more than seven straight miles. You can do it!
  • GINAvsGINA
    GINAvsGINA Posts: 270 Member
    I agree with the others, you did do good but you walk to try running without holding on. Also if you know you had a good sprint at 4.0-4.5 keep it there and work your way to 6.0 you don't want to hurt yourself doing to much to soon.
  • Just watched it, WTG girl! You did great. I split my week 1 into 2 weeks.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    I love that you post the different workouts you try. It's cool.
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    THANK YOU all so much for the tips! I was sooo scared and was holding on for dear life LOL! It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be so I think I like it!! I will be putting your advice to practice! Thank You all again, I really appreciate it!
  • budgetqueen79
    I love that you post the different workouts you try. It's cool.

Thank You So Much! I post because I am a better speaker than writer and since I was a stuffer for so many years it helps me to get thoughts out negative or positive to talk it out. Sometimes I get in front of the camera and just talk, I don't upload alot of it but it helps me to figure things out.
  • CoolAKB
    CoolAKB Posts: 6 Member
    Way to go with the running!! I am glad you posted it and I am glad that others recommended you not hold on I realize I lean forward too and I find that my shoulders hurt a little after I work out. I had never heard of the C25k I will definitely look into that.
  • I watched your video too. I use a treadmill for my walking/jogging workouts.

Your walking portion is good. Keep your jogging portion at a very slow jog. You do not have to jog fast to get the results you are looking for. The treadmill speed can be 3.0 or 3.5, or whichever number gives you that very slow jog. Think about your foot placement.......do not land on your heel as your foot comes forward. You want to land midfoot, so you will need to lean forward just a bit to get the right foot strike on the treadmill. Then also, as everyone else has indicated, do not hang on the the rails. You engage more muscle groups when you walk without hanging onto the rail.

So there you have it.............go very slow, lean slightly forward, midfoot strike, arms relaxed and swinging gently at your side.
  • budgetqueen79
    Thank You So Much! I will be practicing I want to be good! I will use all the suggestion and repost some updates!
    I watched your video too. I use a treadmill for my walking/jogging workouts.

Your walking portion is good. Keep your jogging portion at a very slow jog. You do not have to jog fast to get the results you are looking for. The treadmill speed can be 3.0 or 3.5, or whichever number gives you that very slow jog. Think about your foot placement.......do not land on your heel as your foot comes forward. You want to land midfoot, so you will need to lean forward just a bit to get the right foot strike on the treadmill. Then also, as everyone else has indicated, do not hang on the the rails. You engage more muscle groups when you walk without hanging onto the rail.

So there you have it.............go very slow, lean slightly forward, midfoot strike, arms relaxed and swinging gently at your side.