Guilty Logging...

Options
Sometimes after I have pressed the "Complete my Entry" button, I eat later that night. Usually it is unhealthy food. I have already completed my entry so I become guilty if I post anymore food, so I avoid the site all together. This doesnt seem healthy. Does anyone else have this problem? How do I get over this guilt feeling.

Replies

• Carrie704
    Options
    I always hit the complete your entry button again :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Part of being successful in this journey is being honest with yourself. You aren't kidding your body if you refuse to log something you ate - it knows you ate it. My stance is LOG EVERYTHING - regardless of the guilt or if you've completed your day (you can always hit "complete" again). Be honest. No use lying to yourself (and not logging something out of guilt is you just kidding yourself).
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i add it anyway, and hit complete again. sometimes i feel guilty, depending on how bad it was but overall i use it as a learning experience and try to figure out WHY i ate more and why i chose what i did.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The complete your entry button has been a handy tool for me to stop my late night eating because once I've closed out my diary for the day, I know I'm done.
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    add it.you are only hurting yourself..then hit the log button again. Guilty feeling won't go away...eat something healthy late. I get 100 calories ice cream bars...yummy!!!!
  • CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i've made completing my entry one of the last things i do at night to avoid this issue. it's basically part of my bed time routine: wash my face, let the dogs out one last time, brush my teeth, complete my entry, go to bed. might seem a little silly but it helps me. :smile:
  • tracym17
    tracym17 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    hit the complete button again, or if its very late at night log it next morning and count it in that days calories
  • Klegl
    Klegl Posts: 48
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've done that accidentally at like 8 am, so I definitely had to log back on again and be honest with the rest of my day. That said, there have been legitimate times that I have forgotten to log something and I don't totally flip out because I am still eating so much less than I did before MFP. That said, don't avoid the site because you have eaten again. Just log it, and recomplete your entry. It doesn't show up again in your feed that you have done so, so it's not like it shows up like, "so and so just ate a snickers bar at 10pm!"
  • Klegl
    Options
    I've done that accidentally at like 8 am, so I definitely had to log back on again and be honest with the rest of my day. That said, there have been legitimate times that I have forgotten to log something and I don't totally flip out because I am still eating so much less than I did before MFP. That said, don't avoid the site because you have eaten again. Just log it, and recomplete your entry. It doesn't show up again in your feed that you have done so, so it's not like it shows up like, "so and so just ate a snickers bar at 10pm!"

Hahaha Thanks!
  • GINAvsGINA
    GINAvsGINA Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    The basic concept in logging is that if you have to record what you eat you will make better choices because you don't want to feel bad about what you eat. Don't beat yourself up when you have a day when you eat something that may be full of bad calories just take each day in stride. Use your logs to aid you in planning your next day, week, month to make healthier meal choices. Also plan for a late night snack that way it's already accounted for and if you don't eat it it doesn't hurt your day. I know some people try to stop eating at a certain time each day but science shows that doesn't always matter, you must accomodate your schedule. Hope this helps.
  • SexybySisel
    Options
    yes last night. I ate crackers with honey and a bit of butter. shameful :( But it makes me feel that guilt and now I can see what my habits are and what I eat and when I eat so I can plan out my day better. So I leave extra free calories for that snack that I may have later in the evening.
  • cindymarguerite
    Options
    honestly, when i've had a bad day i skip on the logging in fear of people looking at my diary and judging/making fun of me on my lack of self control or something. i'm just really insecure about that =/
  • Klegl
    Options
    honestly, when i've had a bad day i skip on the logging in fear of people looking at my diary and judging/making fun of me on my lack of self control or something. i'm just really insecure about that =/

Thats how I am. I am VERY insecure
  • Klegl
    Options
    The basic concept in logging is that if you have to record what you eat you will make better choices because you don't want to feel bad about what you eat. Don't beat yourself up when you have a day when you eat something that may be full of bad calories just take each day in stride. Use your logs to aid you in planning your next day, week, month to make healthier meal choices. Also plan for a late night snack that way it's already accounted for and if you don't eat it it doesn't hurt your day. I know some people try to stop eating at a certain time each day but science shows that doesn't always matter, you must accomodate your schedule. Hope this helps.

Thanks! This does help alot!
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary private but I am in this to hold myself accountable for what I put into my body. As others have said it's no use lying and cheating yourself. Make your diary private if you are afraid to log because you don't want others to see! Do whatever you need to do to make progress.

Everybody gets weak at some point. This is a learning experience just as much as it is a weight loss experience.
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I guilty ate at 5am last night. So I logged it as part of yesterday but because I woke up feeling SO bloated and full right now I changed it to breakfast today and will count it as that.

I don't think this is something you should always do, especially if it's an early guilt snack. But I just figured that psychologically seeing it as part of today will make me work harder than yesterday!! Even if I eat something light as well for breakfast today.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I always hit the complete your entry button again :)

This^^
    Although I have had few nights I just said "to heck with it" and didn't log the "extra's" =/
    It sucks to feel guilt & shame. And it sucks when you get the cravings or whatever too.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Really and truly there's no point using this site to log foods if you can't be honest with yourself. Never mind if your diary is private or public, if you can't be totally honest to yourself you will fail. No more, no less. Once you've lied to yourself once it'll just get easier and easier, so just don't do it! I totally understand that everyone has days where they eat too much or make the wrong choices but going on this way is no good, honest. MFP will work if you work with it.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

Thats how I am. I am VERY insecure

This is why my diary is open ONLY to my friends.