Fasts didnt work, maybe excercise will?

Options
I'm David and I am 22 years old.

few weeks ago, finished a 40 day water fast; only water and a powdered multivitamin for 40 days.

I went from 220lbs to 150lbs. Everyone thought I was gonna die but I didn't, once I started eating again, I gained like 30 lbs. I'm at 180lbs now.

I find it hard to eat when I should, and when I do, I get full quick. I'm figuring exercise is the correct way to do things, downloaded the app and looking to lose weight and be more responsible.

This place seems cool, I might stick around.

Edit: also, this is a weightloss beard, once I'm see significant weightloss that I'm happy with, I'll shave.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    notsureifsrs
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Sorry you put yourself through that. Hope you sort things out and get your metabolism back on track.
  • Brachra
    Options
    Okay so, you fasted for 40 days....LOST 70 lbs. Then, gained 30 (180 isnt a bad thing), And your claiming it did not work?
    sounds like it worked perfectly fine to me.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    The reality is a fast wouldn't keep the weight off because you can't live that way forever. Definitely work on balancing nutrition with exercise. Have you been to a doctor to discuss?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Okay so, you fasted for 40 days....LOST 70 lbs. Then, gained 30 (180 isnt a bad thing), And your claiming it did not work?

Really? I guess if the goal is to make the number on the scale go down....

What about muscle mass, and you know... general health and well being?

Why don't you try a 40 day fast and then go get some blood work done at the doctor's office... if you're conscious.
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    WOW!! to have the will power to stay with the fast for the hole time! Congrats to keeping all but 30 lbs off! But its really not a surprise you gained that back. I really hope you can find a way to lose the 30lbs & this site is an awesome place to do that.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    The reality is a fast wouldn't keep the weight off because you can't live that way forever. Definitely work on balancing nutrition with exercise. Have you been to a doctor to discuss?

^^ This.

I can't really see how anyone would think a water/vitamin "diet" is going to be successful long term.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Mike?? Is this a test?
  • iwosmo
    iwosmo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if fasting for 40 days is a good idea for your body...but its done...
    You should slowly introduce food after fasting, specially when it comes to carbs, if you start eating starchy carbs straight away you will gain weight quickly, because you slowed down your metabolizm
  • tschmelzer
    Options

Why don't you try a 40 day fast and then go get some blood work done at the doctor's office... if you're conscious.

I agree with Guru. This is horrible for your poor body. Your muscle mass probably decreased immensely and your metabolism is shot. Get on a regular eating schedule and exercise schedule. While you might gain weight at first it is only because your body is repairing itself.
  • tschmelzer
    Options

I agree with Guru. This is horrible for your poor body. Your muscle mass probably decreased immensely and your metabolism is shot. Get on a regular eating schedule and exercise schedule. While you might gain weight at first it is only because your body is repairing itself.
  • david581c
    Options
    whoa...deep breaths...
    notsureifsrs
    100% cereal
    Sorry you put yourself through that. Hope you sort things out and get your metabolism back on track.
    I know, I hope so too, so far, so good. *fingers crossed*

My muscle basically went to what I assume was 0%, the gym made me realize that. I got blood work, everything was on the up and up, though I didn't tell him I was getting light headed around day 30.
    WOW!! to have the will power to stay with the fast for the whole time! Congrats to keeping all but 30 lbs off! But its really not a surprise you gained that back. I really hope you can find a way to lose the 30lbs & this site is an awesome place to do that.
    especially when coworkers are putting their food in your face telling you to it, and work has a free full stocked vending machine.
    I suppose, though referring to my body...like the former RHCP guitarist, John Frusciante, said about his guitar, "sometimes you have to mistreat it to realize how beautiful it really is"

overall, you're all totally right, though fortunately I'm level headed now, been there done that with a fast. if I could devote myself to a fast I could exercise and finally have integrity in weight loss oppose to the easy way out of doing nothing.

thanks.
  • livindreams
    Options
    Ok, the up side if you had enough motivation to do this fast for so long you certainly can lose the weight and stick with a sensible plan! Especially with our help on here!
  • david581c
    Options
    I know, right?

if only everyone around me could be as supportive as this commun.

this place is great.

thanks, again.
  • sunnyzephyr
    Options
    Fasts may work at first, but they don't work long term. (obviously you figured this out. haha) Instead of fasting, just eat smaller portions. Once your body gets used to it, you actual stomach will shrink and therefore need less food to feel full. Once you get to that point, make sure you focus on not letting yourself over eat. Your stomach will stretch much faster than it shrinks and then you have to start all over again. And exercise is definitely the way to go!!!! Its all about the balance. Moderation in all things.... that's what I live by.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    This got to be a troll, no chance in hell that you can deprive your body from essential nutrients for 40 days.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    notsureifsrs

Agreed.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Excercise will not work. You'll go into starvation mode and even the water you minerals you drink will turn to fat.
  • david581c
    Options
    exactly.

I'm a F'ing anomaly.

starvation mode happens, ...then Ketosis. My body was literally eating itself. I was prob. 25% body fat so it had plenty to eat.

trust me, you won't know unless you've been there.

ask any Vietnam vet who's still living, they never get passed that "thousand yard stare", and it's because they been there.

I've seen the extremes, I've starved myself and I've gorged myself. I'm ready to accept life for what it is.

I'm ready to be responsible.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Stop attacking the guy! He admitted that the fast was a bad idea, it's done! From what I've read he isn't planning on doing it again and seems to be reaching out for support in attempting weight loss in a HEALTHY manner! Good on him!