Body dysmorphic disorder

Options
So as we get thin, we really aren't oriented to our new bodies unless we've been thin most of our lives - has anyone else noticed an increase in misjudging your appearance? I know I have - my face always seems fat but when I compared to three weeks ago its a huge difference....

Replies

• emmalouise21
    Options
    I've been that way most my life, i look in the mirror and see a huge big fat thing looking back. I'm hoping as i lose weight i will feel better, but ultimately is anyone ever Happy with the way they look....??
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of these issues, but not with my body but my teeth. I have never been teased for being overweight, as I have never been too big.

When I was a child, I had horrible teeth and was teased constantly for them (even by adults). Even after braces and having people compliment my smile frequently, I still have a lot of issues with them. I receive compliments on my smile and my teeth on a regular basis and while I am grateful for these, I still don't see it the same way as others. I dislike the shape of my individual teeth, I feel they are not white enough, and I feel my gums are disappearing. I often get the feeling my teeth are going to fall out or fear a cavity. I have 3 people who work on my teeth and have asked all three about getting plastic surgery for my gums. I was told by all 3 I will never need it, but can get it for peace of mind.
    I have gone in to have my teeth whitened two times, and each time was turned down because they were already white...although I see yellow teeth. I realize I obviously have an issue...
    I have a $150 toothbrush with a LCD screen built in as well as a SEPARATE LCD screen. I have a waterpick, multiple types of floss, special picks, a tooth brusher, tooth erasers, whitening strips, hydrogen peroxide, multiple other tooth brushes, $20 toothoil, two sets of retainers, etc.

I think the most important thing is to try and see the obvious issues in your thinking versus reality. This is what I do when I start spending too much time in the mirror staring at my teeth and gums...
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    It actually took seeing a picture of my thinner self to realize how much my face had changed.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I've been that way most my life, i look in the mirror and see a huge big fat thing looking back. I'm hoping as i lose weight i will feel better, but ultimately is anyone ever Happy with the way they look....??

this
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    My perception of myself has always been totally off. When i weighed my goal weight, I thought I looked like I do now. :ohwell: Didn't appreciate what I had.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    So do you guys think we should seek therapy?
  • EmYounginTonga
    Options
    I think this is a great question!

I have this issue of seeing myself fat, but the other day I caught a glimpse of myself in a doorway (reflection) I was shocked that I was looking at myself! ( I thought who is that? Seriously did a double take, Oh My God it is me!!)

I have major issues with clothes, right now. I live in a third world country so there is no buying in a store. You only can buy clothes at a flea market. So I am constantly looking for clothes. Some weeks I do well, get a pair of shorts or something. They fit fine. other weeks I can't get the stuff on it is so small! It is crazy to try to guess. The sizes here are all different, so it makes it tough, some are US sizes, some are Australian (seem to run at least one size bigger than US) and then some European sizes. So I wear anything from a 12 to a size 8! That is messed up! Right now I am fitting into most US size 10. Who knows what that will be tomorrow!

My point wasn't to go on about the sizing, but to say I struggle with body image as well!!

I am trying to tell myself daily - that I look beautiful no matter what I may think of myself!

Cheers,

Em
  • softsculptor
    Options
    I've wondered about this. Even when I have been overweight I never saw myself as overweight! I always thought I looked fine. It's like my eyes don't recognize when I've gained weight. Then when I'm slimmer, I have the same thoughts: I look fine --not great, not slim, not overweight. I'm just...me.There could be a 20 lb difference and my eyes don't register it unless I see it on a scale or in a photograph. At that point, I freak.