clothing for hourglass? please help me!

Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
Hey all
so I am finding it very hard to find clothing that fits at the moment as I have an hourglass figure, my measurements are :

BUST : 44 inches
WAIST: 35inches
HIPS: 44 inches

Please help anyone?
I have to find clothes to fit my boobs and stomach but then looks way too big on my waist! ARGHH idk what to do!

Replies

• i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    i use shape wear shirts that look like real shirts. Maybe give this a try, since it is often made to give the impression of an hourglass, and thus fits where is is supposed to. :flowerforyou:
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    i use shape wear shirts that look like real shirts. Maybe give this a try, since it is often made to give the impression of an hourglass, and thus fits where is is supposed to. :flowerforyou:

What are shape wear shirts? :S
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options

It is like Spanx.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

It is like Spanx.

just checked it out, they look cool! Thanks :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    See if you can find some episodes of "What not to Wear" online, they really do a good job teaching people how to dress their figure. Usually they say a lot of fitted jackets and buy pants to fit the widest part of your body...hope that helps!
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    Walmart's "Sweet Nothings" brand of shapewear is pretty good and affordable. Shapeware is the modern day girdle if you will. Holds you in, smooths you out and allows your clothes to slide over your body instead of cling.

I have to dress business casual for work and have found that the "curvy fit" Worthington clothes at JC Penny are AWESOME. actually fit in the waist and my hips! No gaping!
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Walmart's "Sweet Nothings" brand of shapewear is pretty good and affordable. Shapeware is the modern day girdle if you will. Holds you in, smooths you out and allows your clothes to slide over your body instead of cling.

I have to dress business casual for work and have found that the "curvy fit" Worthington clothes at JC Penny are AWESOME. actually fit in the waist and my hips! No gaping!

I live in australia and we don't have either of those here but will check if they're online at all
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    Lane Bryant is AWESOME for curvy girl clothes and their balconette bras do a great job with the girls. They will measure you there (which I was nervous about but they do it right over your shirt...no awkwardness) and ensure you are wearing the correct cup and band size. They often have buy one get one 1/2 off bras. Well worth the $$$!
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have the EXACT same measurements as you. As for shirts, I wear things that are stretchy (like tank tops under sweaters) or form fitting because then they will expand or fit tight where you want them to. I also wear things that are looser but have cinching in the middle, which really shows off our waist. For pants I wear boot-cut or flare because it makes our legs look not too skinny for our hips.

Hope this helps!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I'm an hourglass-pear shaped & so I choose something that will enhance my small waist. No baggy pants, no shapeless jumpers & if you must wear something that is loose, make sure to wear a nice belt to accentuate the waist.

EDIT: Admittedly though I find it hard to look for a perfectly fit jeans especially since I'm here in Asia where the overwhelming majority of women are stick thin w/o curves (that explains the straight-up jeans that most local stores here sell) so I suggest a stretchy type of jeans wherein it hugs perfectly to your curves. I love Levi's bold & demi curve jeans.
  • cookc04
    Options
    OKay so I have the same problem.
    Firstly make sure your bra fits. go to a good lingerie shop and get them to fit you. Your bust size - i'd recommend Freya and Fantasie if you need new bras. If you do need new bras, buy one from the shop and then go online to buy others ( make sure you buy ones that you were fitted at the shop - Figleaves.com are pretty good)

Secondly get yourself some maidenform flexees ( you can't get these in Aus that i can find but figleaves have them) the ones which are wear your own bra are the best. Of course this is no good for summer in Aus but I swear by them for work days the rest of the year.

Look at What not to Wear...
    Wrap dresses. I think at the moment Target have some good dresses.
    Lots of fabric doesn't work for us - we just look pregnant. You want fitted, and usually criss cross around bust line to fit the larger bust.
    For tops... basically you are best to keep things away from your neck.
    I like tops from David lawrence for work tops - try them all on - because some are for different body shapes but they do have ones for our body shape. You don't have to buy there just try them to see what works.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Find a tailor who can nip in the waists so dresses, pants or skirts fit better. I remember when I was a little kid, the waist in all my jeans would gap on me, and my Mom used to open up the waistband in the back and add elastic... but a little dart or tuck in the fabric would make it smoother and more flattering.

Look for tops or dresses that have some kind of tie or belt to adjust the waist, or add a belt over everything to show those sexy curves.

Since you're so young, I'll add this... clothes in the Juniors departments are cut very straight up and down, no matter what the size. If you haven't already, move on over to the grownup section, where they're cut for a curvier figure. The rise in the pants is usually higher, too, so they won't gap as much.