MFP Error in calculation

Options
Hi, This is my first week on here and so far I love it. The only thing that concerns me is there was an error on a food count that I entered last night. I had a chicken dinner from Olive Garden and I noticed they entered "zero" on the cholesterol count for the chicken. That's a big concern because that's my primary health problem that I need to watch closely. Has anyone ever noticed a glaring error like that before, or is that a rare situation? Thanks for any input.

Replies

• torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    When members enter nutritional information, if they do not include a particular value, it will show as zero. It's not an "error" per se, but an omission when the data is entered.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    It happens. I think the issue here is that anyone can add to the database. Perhaps someone added that in and didn't care about the cholesterol of the dish (or didn't know), so just put in 0. If something sounds fishy to you, then check it to be sure.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Users are the ones who enter info so you can't rely on everything to be 100% accurate all the time. You have to double check with foods yourself before you enter it. Also there can be multiple entries of the same thing sometimes, look for the ones with the most confirmations.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    A lot of what is on here is based on data or calculations from members.....not everyone knows the cholesterol content. Like I went to Buffalo Wild Wings last night and there was no sodium,......yeah right!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Many of the foods are user entered, so it's important to check for errors. Some people only track calories and don't even enter the carbs, fat and protein, let alone the cholesterol or sodium.

Click the link to "view nutritional info" before you add it to your diary. If it's right, you can confirm it's correct. If it's wrong you can edit it.
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Just to add, if your worried about your own cholesterol then its the saturated fat you need to be concerned about not dietary cholesterol.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    You can edit the food, I've found a lot that were wrong and I edited them so the information was correct.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    If you eat at a restaurant, go to their website for the nutritional info and then edit an entry on MFP that is not correct. I have actually found several entries with multiple, sometimes up to 40 confirmations, that have the wrong info. I look at every package or every restaurant website.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    If you want to lower your cholesterol then you need to get active, avoid deep fried foods altogether and start eating a cleaner healthier diet rich in veggies, fruits and lean meats. You can add policosanol and or krill/salmon oil into your diet to aid in the lowering of your cholesterol. Unsaturated/monounsaturated fats are your friend, saturated fats if your cholesterol is high is not so good. As for the incorrect info being entered into the database well its up to you to verify that yourself as it can be edited by any member on here and as such there can be great differences in some items values. Being a canadian means that some foods have totally different nutritional label values than items sold in the US.
  • kronie
    Options
    Thank you all for the information, I really appreciate it! I just assumed, incorrectly that if it was a restaurant meal, it was directly from them, therefore accurate. I didn't know any of this. I will definitely be checking things that seem too good to be true. By the way, I'm so impressed with how much you have all lost! That really spurs me on. I lost 3 lbs. in the first week, so I'm pumped.