Attn: Protein Powder users

Options
I've just started using the Gaspari Myofusion & have noticed a bit of "change" in my body.
An hour or so after drinking my shake it seems I get slight stomach cramps (gas maybe?)
and shortly after need to use the restroom.
Does it affect anyone else like this?
Maybe it's something my body does as it gets used to it?
I've only been using it for about 2 weeks.

Replies

• MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Is there soy or dairy in it? You might be allergic. I've been using Costco - Cytosport (Muscle Milk) - 100% Whey Protein, Chocolate. It has whey in it obviously so it's got dairy. Maybe you should try a different brand? I'm sure you can get samples from the different manufactures if you write them and ask, or go into GNC and see if they have samples.

Do you mix it with water or milk?? If you use milk, try water instead.

Good luck!!

- Mike
  • dannylives3
    dannylives3 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Sure, it affects lots of people like that. SOme are affected worse than others. Some peoples bodies get used to it after a short time. Stinky gas kinda goes hand in hand with Whey protein powders! Tastes great! I recently switched to Optimum 100% Whey though 'cause it's cheaper.
  • WATRD
    WATRD Posts: 25
    Options
    I had a bit of that going on and read pretty extensively about it on various fitness/nutrition forums. The consensus seemed to be around two points;

1. It's mostly whey protein and you might have a bit of intolerance around that much pure whey.
    2. You are overwhelming your ability to digest that much protein in one shot.

The answer to both, is to dial back the amount you are using until you experience no symptoms. Stay there for a while. Then you can adjust up, a little at a time, over time.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Is there soy or dairy in it? You might be allergic. I've been using Costco - Cytosport (Muscle Milk) - 100% Whey Protein, Chocolate. It has whey in it obviously so it's got dairy. Maybe you should try a different brand? I'm sure you can get samples from the different manufactures if you write them and ask, or go into GNC and see if they have samples.

Good luck!!

- Mike

It is a whey protein. I've never had a problem with dairy.
    I do use it with milk -- tastes better to me that way =]
    Hopefully my body just needs to adjust to it.
    I will give it another week, if it's the same I'll switch to mixing with water.
    If there is no change after that, I will definitely switch.
  • martinh78
    Options
    I used to find that, I find that glutamine is often added to protein powders which really gives me gas!

Try a different brand, don't exceed 30g and see how you go. It is pretty normal though I think.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I don't get gas / stomach cramps but I have a protein shake (gold standard whey) first thing in the morning and it nearly always makes me need to use the bathroom afterwards. Been using it since earlier this year so it's not something that goes after time (for me anyway)

If you're having problems with yours I would suggest switching brands.
  • hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    MyoFusion has Milk protein and egg albumen with the whey, so as someone mentioned above it could be the dairy protein.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    also... I am only taking 1 serving so 6oz of milk to 36g of powder.
  • smi204
    Options
    hi there

i use myofusion aswell but havent experienced the same as you. I am very pleased with it and prefer it to phd diet whey which i used previously. Maybe you are usng to much? I only use 1 scoop per serving.

if it doesnt agree with you just try a different one
  • smi204
    Options
    oh and try it with 8oz and use water it might help
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I read the ingredients and can find no logical reason. If by the end of the supply it isn't better, then try a different protein. Bo to TruProtein.com. Great deals. Good protein
  • kslindner
    Options

Good luck!!

- Mike

It is a whey protein. I've never had a problem with dairy.
    I do use it with milk -- tastes better to me that way =]
    Hopefully my body just needs to adjust to it.
    I will give it another week, if it's the same I'll switch to mixing with water.
    If there is no change after that, I will definitely switch.

U can also try Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk. Tastes just as good as milk, without all the calories & sugar as milk. Protein shakes with water taste TERRIBLE!!! lol
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    I don't get gas / stomach cramps but I have a protein shake (gold standard whey) first thing in the morning and it nearly always makes me need to use the bathroom afterwards. Been using it since earlier this year so it's not something that goes after time (for me anyway)

i don't know that your protein shake is making you poop. lots of people have a BM right after breakfast, or after their morning coffee -- my dad is willing to bet his retirement that he poops at 5:46am every. single. morning.

OP, maybe something else is causing your digestive upsets? if you log your food, look for other possible culprits: high-fat foods, tons of grains (esp. wheat, corn), or too much chocolate?
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options

good thought. it could be an artificial sweetener...... those make my stomach nasty.....