What it would be like to hit my goal 135...

Options
Everyday goes by, I keep hearing that your goal is to low. My goal is 135. and Im 5ft 5in.... meduim framed. I really don't think its a bad goal.
Im just tired of hearing about it,,

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Don't tell them what you're goal is. Tell them you're just striving to be healthier and happier. It's no one's business but yours (and maybe your primary care physician... maybe) what your weight is.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Show them a BMI chart. Most people trust BMI #'s.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My goal is also 135, and I had the same reaction. I've started telling people that I want to be right about the middle of a healthy weight for my height. People can't argue that.
  • jessashcher
    Options
    I don't think that your goal is unreasonable for your height, my goal is to be at that same weight or maybe even 130 and I am 5'7, it all depends on how comfortable you feel at it, and that weight certainly won't be harmful to you. I am small built and my whole life up until 7 years ago I weighed 130 lbs and looked great, it wasn't until I quit drinking alcohol that I gained the weight. I know, sounds strange, usually gain weight while drinking but I was just the opposite. Don't worry about what others think, they are not you.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I get THAT all the time! Yes, only you know what is best for you. People's ideas of "normal" can be so warped, you might be leaner, which means you will be smaller, but weigh more than someone who is not as lean - they may weigh less and be larger, so that's how people can think your normal is too low.

I get this alot.

I'm 5'5.5" and when I tell people I'm trying to lower my BF% by shedding about 5 more lbs I get loads of garbage about how "unhealthy" I'm being. REALLY?!?!?!

You mean eating clean and lifting weights, and doing cardio and drinking water is going to be bad for me while you eat your cheeseburger and fries????
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I recently changed my goal from 150 to 145 (for a healthy BMI) but there is part of me that doesn't think I can do it.

I don't think it's too low and still in the healthy range. If you were looking to be 100 I'd worry!!! Just don't tell people what the goal is!!
  • 81Kyra
    81Kyra Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm 5'5" my goal is 135 too!
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'5" and my ORIGINAL goal was 135. When I hit it I realized I could stand to lose more. Now I'm VERY happy at 117lbs.
    Your goal is YOUR goal. Do what makes YOU happy and makes YOU feel most comfortable with YOURSELF.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I just ignore people, I've gotten really good at it too. I could care less what people think, because its my job to like me, no one else's.
  • kimber_av
    Options
    thats not too low at all. just keep it to yourself. people should mind their own business. I'm 5'6 and i'm 133. its not too low at all
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with that. We sometimes listen too much to too many people. Everyone is different. There is no ideal weight. My goal is high for my height. I don't care. It's what I want. I don't want nor expect the body I had 30 years ago. Whatever goal you set is good. The goal you set is right for you and that's all that matters. BTW, I'm 5'1" and my goal is 135 too. :yawn:
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid to tell people my goal weight (or even tell them that I want to lose twenty more pounds) because its so low! I'd like to be 114 (I'm 5'2") but the second you tell someone a weight like that they tend to freak out even though its a *completely* healthy and normal weight for my height.

Plus I think most people are just really bad judges of what a certain weight looks like.
  • dedarlin
    dedarlin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i feel ya! i have surpassed my original 'goal' because i set it way tooooo high because everyone made a big deal about how i would be too skinny if i lost 'too much' weight! i got to my goal and i wasnt happy with that, and i am certainly not skinny! so i adjust my goal by 5lbs each time, never telling anyone close to me. i still feel like most of my family and friends are always trying to sabotage me in my new fit lifestyle, i guess becasue they dont have the same determination to change themselves as i do. i will stop when i feel comfortable, and i still have a good 15lbs inside of my 'healthy range' to work with, so maybe 5 more, maybe 10, i'm not sure, but i am not going to let anyone stop me until i am HAPPY with how I look and feel, because i have worked too hard to quit now!
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Your goal weight should be the weight that you can keep at without struggling. At the moment I am staying at 138lbs +/- a lb over time. My goal weight is 135lb but I've started thinking that maybe 138 is where I should be?? Maybe my body is trying to tell me something. I'm 5' 6" by the way.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    My goal is 135, but then again I'm only 5 feet tall (with shoes on...), so...
  • alyssanichele
    Options
    What I realized is that some people (especially those that are the same size or bigger than you are) are going to put their two cents in because they want you to be in the same boat with them, so they try to bring you down. I told my grandmother that I needed to lose 40 more pounds and she told me at the most lose 15, and I've already lost 10lbs (5 without MFP), so what purpose would that suit me? I wouldn't be healthier. So I learned to keep my mouth shut and do what I need to do. And when this is all over people will probably tell you how great you look instead of complaining about what you "need" to lose.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4.5" and my original goal was 136. I got there and thought I could go lower so I changed it to 132. 131-132 was on the verge of too low for my tastes (my curves started to disappear) and hard to maintain once school started. I personally think that mid-130s is ideal for me.
    In all honesty, you won't know til you get there. 135 is reasonable but whether or not you like it there and feel like you can maintain it is what really counts.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and I'm currently aiming for 150lbs and I'm getting the same. It's stupid and I'm ignoring them.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and my goal weight is 130. For a while I thought I wanted to try to get down to around 122 but I've been thinking that's probably too low (for me). So I'm going for 130 and I'll re-evaluate then. Honestly, if I could just lose some belly fat I'd be really happy!
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    5'4" and aiming for 127, at 132 now. i only have 5 lb left and i think i can make it! and no, i don't care what other people say. i know what the middle of my healthy range is.