Why am I losing weight so fast?

Options
So I started mfp on 10/20 and have lost 14 lbs over the 23 days (not including today)... so that averages around 4.666 lbs a week... I set Mfp to lose 2lbs a week and I've eaten all my calories including exercise and have had 2 major cheatp days.... some may say that's good but I'm kinda worried....

Replies

• JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    it'll will probably slow down some as you start getting to a lower weight
  • newarkco05
    Options
    You probably have a very fast metabolism! Give it another week or two, see if it slows down, if not, you could probably bump up your calories. Do you have a very active job? Maybe your daily activity was underestimated.
  • sryan8408
    Options
    Water weight comes off first and will account for a lot of your weight in the first couple weeks. Itll slow down.
  • SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I'ma bout to smack you upside the head. :grumble:
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    One word....water. If you have drastically changed your diet, the bulk of the weight you initially lose is good old H20. Especially the first couple of weeks. It will slow down.
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I lost really fast initially, too. If you're heavier, and had a poor diet before, its more of a shock to the body, I think.
  • Jewcybabe
    Jewcybabe Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Men.....!~
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    ohhh to have a guys metabolism!! enjoy it while the rest of us sweat away a pound at a time!!

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • jheath123
    Options
    I lost around 5 of my 9 pounds the first week fast, but then after I wasn't as sore I kind of kicked back the cardio and did more strength and now I lose maybe 2 a week.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Water weight comes off first and will account for a lot of your weight in the first couple weeks. Itll slow down.

Yeah, I lost 12 lbs of water weight my first week, so I would above is the best answer
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you get quick weight loss at first, Like on Biggest Loser when they lose a bunch the first week and later it comes off much slower and takes more work.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    MFP tends to be a bit too low on the calories they allow - in my opinion. I put mine up by about 100. Check out the Health Status site to see what it says. They give you a choice of how much and how fast you want to lose. It may be that you'll lose a lot initially and then slow down. Three pounds a week is an awful lot for me and that's what I lost last week -- my first week here. I don't expect that every week and not at all sure I'd want it. But I don't think there's any reason for you to worry. See what happens next week before making a decision.
  • shack1157
    shack1157 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It will depend on your start weight and level of activity before you started working out! It comes off fast at first then starts to stablize. I have lost 96 pounds in a year! Fast at first then slower as I went alomg! Good Luck!
  • Lzbrg22
    Options
    How are you supposed to set your calorie intake? I always heard if you go to low in calories you will just gain all of it back once you eat a normal range of calories. I think its set low as well but assumed for weight goal it selected that for me. I'm sure it's just water loss at first and things will slow down a bit.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - yeah its prob water because I can see that I'm not even getting the sodium that MFP recommends since I cut out most processed junk.... I'll see how I finish this month up before I decide on increasing cals - but yeah on the heath status site it says I need 2655 cals to maintain my current weight (165 started at 179.6) with moderate activity... so 1220 a day is a 1435 deficit.... which really does reflect my weight loss per day (around 0.5lb a day).
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - yeah its prob water because I can see that I'm not even getting the sodium that MFP recommends since I cut out most processed junk.... I'll see how I finish this month up before I decide on increasing cals - but yeah on the heath status site it says I need 2655 cals to maintain my current weight (165 started at 179.6) with moderate activity... so 1220 a day is a 1435 deficit.... which really does reflect my weight loss per day (around 0.5lb a day).

Cutting out processed food - especially all the sugars and upping your protien, good fat and complex carbs and exercising will make that weight come off quickly for men...

as for the sodium - don't eat to the recommended - that should show you the maximum you should have - the more under it the better...and since you have cut out processed foods that is a probably a huge chunk of sodium out of your diet...
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    I'ma bout to smack you upside the head. :grumble:

LMAO!:laugh:
  • megsie25
    Options
    Enjoy it while it lasts hun.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Men.....!~