Giving sufferer's of ED's a bad name.

Options
2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    Options
    I don't comment on my friends diaries or "Completed diary" posts for that very reason. I wish the site admin would just make that stop appearing in the feed.

But OP, I agree that you don't have to take this on. Just worry about your journey and don't let these things get you down.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    oh that ED. nevermind...
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • l00zrr
    l00zrr Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    OMG - Can't tell you how many times I've seen "good job" written by friends onto days when someone had COFFEE for breakfast... & salad for lunch, & 180 calories of SOUP for dinner. THEN they exercise like, 2000 calories off, & have a deficit of 2500 calories for the day. I could SHOOT people! :explode:

When I say "you should have more for breakfast... some eggs, or some cereal with fruit... a piece of toast and peanut butter and some yogurt or something" I get UNFRIENDED.

These people make me sick. And the REALLY sad part? They're making THEMSELVES sick in the name of getting healthy.

This. I mean seriously, they can be thin al they want, but it's never okay to starve yourself and have a deficit just to lose a few pounds fast.
    We need to encourage people to eat enough calories, and burn off a normal amount of weight. Not eat a slice of toast and then run for 4 hours. That's just not healthy, and I know people who have died from it. They need support for eating RIGHT, not eating less.
  • marzahl68
    Options
    I had a friend on here who is starving herself. I ended up not knowing how to help or support her. All her avatars were about not eating, most if not all of her posts were about calling herself fat and putting herself on a fast as if to punish herself for eating 600 calories the day before. There wasn't a single positive thing and there wasn't anything that would at least suggest that she was trying to overcome this.
    Seeing her posts and photos on my feed was really upsetting. I unfriended her.
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    OMG - Can't tell you how many times I've seen "good job" written by friends onto days when someone had COFFEE for breakfast... & salad for lunch, & 180 calories of SOUP for dinner. THEN they exercise like, 2000 calories off, & have a deficit of 2500 calories for the day. I could SHOOT people! :explode:

When I say "you should have more for breakfast... some eggs, or some cereal with fruit... a piece of toast and peanut butter and some yogurt or something" I get UNFRIENDED.

These people make me sick. And the REALLY sad part? They're making THEMSELVES sick in the name of getting healthy.

Well you do have to consider the stage at which people are, I have friends that have trouble convincing themselves to eat more that just that salad for lunch, If i see they added soup it may very well be an accomplishment.

I see people here that are happy with their lifestyle at this point knowing it isn't healthy. So i try to have them switch that candy bar they had that made up half their calories to an equivalent amount of nourishing food to start. The BIGGEST problem with EDs is the fact that it is a mental disorder, and until the person is ready to do for themselves there is nothing you have told them that will make them change your ways.

The best I know I can do is encourage them to think about it if they are unsure if they have a problem and to get food that will benefit them in the long run. When they do end up in recovery to congratulate even small victories and to be understanding and encouraging if they slip. This is an addiction type scenario, you wouldn't tell an addict to just stop using and you wouldn't tell an anorexic to just eat. It is a huge step and a long (mostly mental) process.

I do understand that seeing this behavior can make someone in recovery cringe, but it was that hard for you also. It's great that people see what they put themselves thru and feel remorse but that comes later.