Maintaining is Harder than Losing.

Options
True or False?

My answer: True. I know it might seem easier to say from the prospective of not needing to lose anymore weight, but there is no end to it. No target. I am a very goal oriented person. Once I made up my mind and locked in on my goal, losing weight was very fast for me. 102lbs in 8 months. I worked harder for that goal than I have probably worked for anything in my life. Now I passed the goal and have been maintaing for going on a year now. I have stayed within 10lbs of hitting my goal weight, both over and under. But, it is difficult with nothing to work for. I don't want to change anything or work for anything, it is just something that I have to constantely work at for the rest of my life. (and being a relatively young person, I hope that is a very long time) But it seems almost daunting if I stop and think about it. Even in the maintain relm there are ruts and setbacks and victories and achievements. Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• Figuringoutme
    Options
    I completely agree with you

12771844.png
  • kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    Yup, it is a lifestyle we need to work at forever. Very daunting.
  • Alee4nia
    Alee4nia Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    try making other goals to do with fitness...for example improving muscle strength through lifting...or flexibility through yoga...if you can do 50 pushups...turn it up a notch like adding 10...just some ideas..
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It is very hard, I agree with you. I have lost over 100 lbs too, it did take me longer, like a year and a half, but have kept most of it off for 3.5 yrs now. Last year, I did put on about 15 to 20 extra and I knew I couldn't let it get out of control. I am so glad I have found this site! It has helped me stay focused and lose what I needed to lose. So I am now in mainteance too......I just log and eat healthy and continue to work out. I am very worried about the holidays and do not want to put too much on. Anyway, there are folks out there just like you!! It is hard, but we have done something many people would like to do!! Be proud of your accomplshment!! Congrats!!
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    JMO: You need to set new types of goals. There is always something to work for. Or work towards. Try something new. Challenge yourself to do something you've never done before. A new class. A new distance. A new time. A new weight. Get creative!! :happy:
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you. Fitness goals are helpful though.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you! I had my daughter and her 3 kids move back home....it has been very stressful. I gained about 15 pounds back. Now I'm working on losing it again. I will always have to stay in check.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    definitely set new goals! I have gone up and down 3 times! it is so much harder for me. Everyone that I talk to says if you set new goals, you are never done, really can we ever be too fit? there should be a hike or run or triathlon we could do.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I bet it is! (not there yet, but looking forward...).

What about some time related goals, like celebrating maintaining each month, each six months, each year (like addicts do 'three years sober' or whatever).

Also, what about some different goals? Like study or a new hobby?

How's your mind and your spirit? Is there some work you could do in either or both of those areas?

Congratulations anyway!
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I totally agree too. Other goals I've used to help me have included: surfing with my son, running a 5 k with my kids and hiking a difficult peak.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    yeah I'll probably be logging forever now just to maintain. but I started my weight loss by eating the calories I needed to eat at my goal weight, so i don't need to change anything now that I"m almost done.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    TRUE :flowerforyou:

I relate so much to this! I loved having the clearly determined boundaries of weight loss, and since reaching goal in March 10', I've been constantly trying to challenge myself. Fitness goals are all fine & good, but there's NOTHING like the feeling of dropping pant sizes and watching that scale number go down. I guess the only thing to do is switch up your routine in some way to feel new! When you think about maintaining forever, it really can be overwhelming, & I'd like to see others suggestions (non-exercise related) as well!
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    try making other goals to do with fitness...for example improving muscle strength through lifting...or flexibility through yoga...if you can do 50 pushups...turn it up a notch like adding 10...just some ideas..

I agree, ditto
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I would set new goals to work towards. Maybe train for a 5K, 10K, or half marathon or even a marathon? You could set weight lifting goals, or complete new fitness programs (ie.Insanity, P90x, etc).
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it challenging as well; it's been about six months at maintenance so far. But I more and more I think of it not so much as maintenance, but just that this is my life now. I don't so much think of it as something I have to do for the rest of my life, just that this IS my life: I eat less; I eat better; I exercise more, I'm generally more active and aware. This is just me now, every day. Hooray! :)
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    TRUE :flowerforyou:

I relate so much to this! I loved having the clearly determined boundaries of weight loss, and since reaching goal in March 10', I've been constantly trying to challenge myself. Fitness goals are all fine & good, but there's NOTHING like the feeling of dropping pant sizes and watching that scale number go down. I guess the only thing to do is switch up your routine in some way to feel new! When you think about maintaining forever, it really can be overwhelming, & I'd like to see others suggestions (non-exercise related) as well!

As I was reading this, I was like: "I don't think I'll ever stop losing..."
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    It is very hard, I agree with you. I have lost over 100 lbs too, it did take me longer, like a year and a half, but have kept most of it off for 3.5 yrs now. Last year, I did put on about 15 to 20 extra and I knew I couldn't let it get out of control. I am so glad I have found this site! It has helped me stay focused and lose what I needed to lose. So I am now in mainteance too......I just log and eat healthy and continue to work out. I am very worried about the holidays and do not want to put too much on. Anyway, there are folks out there just like you!! It is hard, but we have done something many people would like to do!! Be proud of your accomplshment!! Congrats!!

We are very proud of our Lauri!!! She's a real motivator!!
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    It always has been for me. I will be interested to read everyone's ideas later but I have to run to work. I really need help with this as I approach the maintenance stage within a couple of months.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am new to maintenance and it is a difficult transition. All along while losing weight I relied on MFP friends to give me advice and they were there to cheer my losses. There are a lot less people maintaining on MFP than there are losing, so it is hard to find a similar support network. Also, no one pats you on the back or cheers you on for staying the same weight, so I've lost the motivation that came from the losses.

I am new to this stage of weight loss so I am sure it will get easier in time. Losing was pretty formulaic for me- eat X number of calories, exercise, and lose weight. I am having trouble finding my maintenance groove, am still unsure of how many calories I should be eating, etc. This has been much more difficult for me than losing!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    True. I have been maintaining but recently have been going over almost every day. But if I lower my calorie I lose too much. I have to find a happy middle ground. :drinker: