Paxil and weight loss

Options
I had been on Paxil for many years because of anxiety. I stopped taking it about 1 1/2 years ago because I felt like it was making it very difficult to lose weight, and within 8 months had lost almost 60 lbs. I had to go back on it about 6 months ago because my anxiety had returned, and I have regained almost 25 lbs. :( It is so frustrating! I need to be able to function, but having to choose between being fat or being sane is not okay.

Has anyone else out there gone through this?

Replies

• Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm going through it right now. I had started on Prozac, had no trouble losing weight but was having some very unwanted thoughts while taking it so I switched to Paxil, and I'm trying my hardest to lose
  • kirstyjosephine
    Options
    Discuss switching medications with your doctor. Paxil is an SSRI (which can cause weight gain as a side effect). However, there are other SSRIs/antidepressants/non-pharmacological treatments available.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I had been on Paxil for many years because of anxiety. I stopped taking it about 1 1/2 years ago because I felt like it was making it very difficult to lose weight, and within 8 months had lost almost 60 lbs. I had to go back on it about 6 months ago because my anxiety had returned, and I have regained almost 25 lbs. :( It is so frustrating! I need to be able to function, but having to choose between being fat or being sane is not okay.

Has anyone else out there gone through this?

Talk to your doctor. There are alternatives to Paxil for anxiety. Unfortunately, a lot of them do cause weight gain... but there are still others you could try.

You might also ask about some biofeedback training. Or other methods of managing anxiety that will allow you to cut back a little on your meds. Don't start cutting down on the meds though without keeping your doctor n the loop.

Good luck!
  • Susan0816
    Susan0816 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I tried Paxil and had the same problems and more, but I did not lose the weight. I am now on Alzophram (sp) XL and I feel much better. There are other anti anxiety medication out there, check with your Doctor. My mother was put on Paxil almost a year ago and she has gained 30 of the 80 lbs she lost when she had cancer.
    Good luck!
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My doctor and I had discussed putting me on an anti depressant. I told him I am hesitant because the last time I was on Paxil I gained over 20 pounds and am still struggling to lose it. He gave me two weeks to start losing weight and feeling better. If I don't feel better mentally he said there are other antidepressants that are actually appetite suppressors (he named Welbutrin as one). Maybe an option for you?
  • justamyagain
    justamyagain Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Well, I scheduled an appt w/ my doctor for Tuesday, but in the meantime we agreed to 1/2 my dosage. It has been 6 days and I've lost 2 lbs already.