Miracle Noodle?

Options
I saw this advertisement on My Fitness Pal. It seems too good to be true. Has anyone tried this? User (Eater) reviews please.

Replies

• TeeJayBee_xo
    Options
    Yeah I think they're called Shirataki noodles, 0 carbs & 0 calories BUT they're really expensive & not very easy to get hold of depending on where you live. I live in England & would have to order them offline it's like £40 or something stupid for a pack of 5,
    However I've heard if you look in asian foodstores they sometimes sell them? I haven't looked in any of the ones near me, but it's worth a try :D

They sound amazing though don't they! x
  • ayshabell
    Options
    changs have now brought out one called low cal noodles there only $2.60 a packet there great hot or cold. u can buy them at the supermarket
  • TeeJayBee_xo
    Options
    actually, my mistake, you can get them for about £1.50 on some websites. good news! (: x
  • okiedee
    okiedee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I ordered...from www.AsianFoodsGrocer.com ..they are a tofu noodle...they are rubbery, we could not get through the texture of them, we really tried...we ordered about 12 packages...ate 4 packages and threw the rest in trash.
    We even par boiled like they said to do to improve the texture. Did not help. We did not like, but you may.
  • aurie024
    aurie024 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get over the smell of them when you open the pack. Your have to rinse them very very well. The liquid they store them in smells horrible. I couldn't get it out of my head.
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Someone else on MFP was talking about this on Saturday, so I was curious and googled it. Apparently it has no calories, no carbs... Weird and I wanted to try but I didn't drop by any groceries store to check it out. Even me living in Asia countries, there are only selected stores that sell that. :( I'll let you know once I tried it :D
  • Yovina2
    Yovina2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We live in south wales(UK) and there is a good Asian food store not far, the "Miracle noodles" were called konnyaku small packet were 89p and Shirataki noodles cost £1.20 bigger packet.

Really good, substitute for spaghetti, great for stir fry, and fantastic for soups, there lots more recipes on line if you want to be adventurous :-)
    The smell can be off putting, but let it soaked and washed properly with tap water before cooking it.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    House Foods puts out a Shirataki made with tofu and I absolutely LOVE this... very affordable, local and it helped to get me off of pasta really fast...
  • balancebean
    balancebean Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone. Right now I'm substituting spaghetti squash for the real thing. Just looking for other options.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I picked this up in a health food - packaged as Pasta Slim. There are two options - angel hair and pasta. I got the angel hair - we did a chicken stir fry and stirred in the angel hair and they basically were a great egg noodle replacement. They absorbed the flavour really well. I am a noodle nut so I really appreciated this :)
  • Moms3Kwa
    Options
    I like them. I think theyare just like any "helathier" food, you have to get use to them.
  • okiedee
    okiedee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh...I could not get over the odor either...I rinsed and rinsed..then it was the rubber like texture of the noodles that I did not like..I forced myself to eat two pkg's...but tossed the others out...wasted money.

10120340.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    They come in three "versions"- tofu, yam and konjaku powder)
    I am in Canada and I get them for 1.20 - 2.25 CAD $/ 7 oz package . I rinse them for 5 minutes in cold water and by the end of my cooking I put them in the pot( stired fry, pasta sauce, soup- you name it!) I do not cook them at all ( I put them in the pot after I turn the stove off).I leave them to just sit there and they get all the flavour of the food .They are rubbery but I am ok with that.

I also use glucomannan powder to thicken my shakes . ( miracle noddles are made with it- konjaku powder) .

I am on 1200 cals with carbs reduced .Acording with my doctor, I supposed to have a very big apetite ( i recover from radioactive iodine thyroid treatement ), but I am NOT hungry at all, I can control my portions with no problems att all.
    Hope it helps.
  • Lindseysund8
    Options
    I would try an Asian food market. I'll be checking for them at the local Asian market this week!
  • mrshickey
    Options
    I use zero noodles (i order from UK site) they dont have that fishy smell and i ordered 30 packs from approx £46. they are great in soup or as a pasta alternative and only 5 calories per 100g. Also, the noodles are low carb which is good if you want to reduce carb intake. Very filling- takes hundreds of calories off meals!