Why are diet soft drinks so bad?

Options
I drink quite a lot of diet lemonade and I've managed to lose weight, however I've seen posts about coke addictions and so forth, so why is it so bad?
And if I drink Water, and water only, will I lose a lot more weight than before?

Replies

• RainbowPearl
    RainbowPearl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tlems
    tlems Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think that it boils down to the fact that the artificial sweetners used in diet drinks make you crave sweet - sugary things.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I drink quite a lot of diet lemonade and I've managed to lose weight, however I've seen posts about coke addictions and so forth, so why is it so bad?
    one word: Chemicals
    And if I drink Water, and water only, will I lose a lot more weight than before?
    Only if you were drinking drinks with cals in them, otherwise no difference.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    They're not.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Because anything that is 90% chemicals isn't healthy.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Because the average American doesn't know what moderation is.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
  • MysticLiz
    MysticLiz Posts: 61 Member
    Options

agree!
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Aspatamine has been shown to have a very negative effect on the body & is bad for the neurological system (nerves) in that it thins the myolin sheath. This junk has become acceptible to be chucked into food instead of sugar because it gives the required sweetness. We are far better off just adjusting ourselves to less of the good stuf!
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Some people say that the fake sweetness in diet drinks makes them crave more sugar. I drink any kind of pop only occasionally because the ingredients freak me out.
  • KatyRing
    KatyRing Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas help me from giving into worse things. I also love Diet rite, which is made with Splenda instead of aspertame and doesnt have the caffine.

But still, I know that it has crap in it that isnt the best but it it keeps me from chowing down on cake...then so be it.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I think the main danger with diet drinks is that we associate them with things like french fries and candy. We tend to get the mentality of "I'm eating the candy bar, but I'm drinking a diet drink with it, so it's okay".

It's like anything else...moderation is key. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a diet coke, but it probably shouldn't be your only source of fluids. I avoid them because they have a lot of sodium, which tends to make my ankles swell up. I drink decaf tea instead.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There is some evidence that cola (diet or regular) can have negative health effects. But overall diet drinks are fairly safe, I think. There have been ample studies on them with no proof that they are unhealthy.

You are certainly better off drinking diet lemonade than lemonade that is high in sugar.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    90% chemicals? Since when is diet soda not mostly water?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Not a good argument, in that case everything is mostly water.

what if you had a glass that was 99% water and 1% anthrax (by weight or volume, take your pick) would you say, it is safe because it is mostly water?
  • ambeer2
    ambeer2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Read "Skinny B(fill in the blanks)," and you'll discover the answer. Great book about the dangers of what most of us consume on a daily basis, and more of what we should be eating to prevent disease.

The only safe sweetener is Stevia, or Sugar in the Raw/turbinado sugar. I love me some Splenda, but just because it doesn't have aspartame, doesn't mean it's good for you, either.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    90% chemicals? Since when is diet soda not mostly water?
    Thank you for saying what I was about to. What frustrates me so much is that there are so many "facts" thrown about here that really aren't "facts" at all.

To the OP: just because 1 or 10 or 500 people say something, it doesn't mean it is true. Do the research, then make up your own mind.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

That's silly and not based on science.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Not a good argument, in that case everything is mostly water.

Except things that aren't mostly water...

In any event, I wasn't making any argument. I was suggesting that implying that diet soda is 90% chemicals is ridiculous. It's either 100% chemicals (because technically water is a chemical) or we recognize that's mostly just plain ol water.

Whether or not the added chemicals are good or bad for someone is, well...more complex than saying "Rawr! Chemicals bad!"