Eggs in a crockpot?

Options
I am thinking of ways to atreamline breakfast for the ten of us. Anyone try making scrambled aggs in the crockpot the night before? Or, can I scramble eggs, then put them in the crockpot on warm for the next morning?
Hmmm...pondering...

Sheri

Replies

• shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I scramble a few days worth of eggs and put them in the refrigerator in an airtight container. They reheat just fine in the microwave. It's not quite the same as fresh scrambled, but my bunch never knows the difference! Plus, there's no dishes to wash in the busy morning!
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    i don't know but that doesnt sound very good to me. I know you can make oatmeal in the crockpot, I have heard of different casseroles you can make in it with bacon and what not, but don't think they are very healthy.
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Just make some egg "muffins" on a Sunday, either freezer or put them in the fridge, and microwave on your way out the door, or at work.

My guess is that this won't work at all for eggs. They get hard just sitting in a steam bath. . .
  • Amysgetnfit
    Options
    If you have a timed Crockpot you might be able to get away with scrambling them the night before & wake up to cooked eggs.could be like a frittata. Worth trying.at least eggs are cheap.
    You can scrambled them & cook in coffee mugs in microwave.hungry girl.com has lots of microwave egg in mug recipes
    If it works in the crock pot let me know!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    i make Ham/Egg baskets... Spray a muffin pan, line each muffin with a slice of ham, put in some chopped veggies (I like red and green peppers and just a tad of cheese) then scramble an egg for each and add. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes... They can be nuked for 30 seconds the next morning.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I scramble a few days worth of eggs and put them in the refrigerator in an airtight container. They reheat just fine in the microwave. It's not quite the same as fresh scrambled, but my bunch never knows the difference! Plus, there's no dishes to wash in the busy morning!
    Yep, thats how I do it to. :) If you want super fast breakfast make breakfast burritos the night before and wrap them in foil then you can heat them in the crockpot the next morning OR (I prefer this personally) wrap them in plastic and toss them in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute depending on how thick you made them. :)
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    i make Ham/Egg baskets... Spray a muffin pan, line each muffin with a slice of ham, put in some chopped veggies (I like red and green peppers and just a tad of cheese) then scramble an egg for each and add. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes... They can be nuked for 30 seconds the next morning.

This is super yummy! I used to make them all the time! You could also look up diffrent recipes for egg casseroles....you can bake it the night before and then just warm it up in the morning!
  • geeksrule
    geeksrule Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Yum......... gonna have to try this one!!!!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    This link says it is not safe to keep them warm for more than a couple of hours. So not overnight. http://www.mrbreakfast.com/ask.asp?askid=17
    But it does have some crockpot breakfast recipes you could try. I didn't look at them so I have no idea if they are healthy.
  • SheriG9
    Options
    Hmmm, hadn't thought about them getting hard. I do make oatmeal in the crockpot, but some of the kids don't like how creamy/sticky it gets. I am trying to eat more protein, and less flour based things at breakfast. Perhaps an egg casserole I can throw in the oven when I get up, and have ready when the kids are up, and dressed. Getting seven kiddos out the door by 7:55 is tricky at best!

Sheri
  • rickyc1952
    Options
    I used to skillet fry some sliced potatoes with onions and scrammble some eggs in advance also .....You can fry some lean groun beef 97/3 or if you prefer ground turkey spiced the way you like it..............Spray a pan and layer the bottom with potatoes and onions, put a layer of scrambled eggs and a layer of the ground beef or turkey. Top it off with a low fat 2 % milkfat cheese of your choice. Cover with aluminum foil Refrigerate. In the morning throw it in the oven for 20 minutes and it's ready to serve. People can add spicey salsa on top also
  • shellyc7182
    Options
    Yep, thats how I do it to. :) If you want super fast breakfast make breakfast burritos the night before and wrap them in foil then you can heat them in the crockpot the next morning OR (I prefer this personally) wrap them in plastic and toss them in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute depending on how thick you made them. :)

Yeah! I do that too!!!! Fast and easy is the way to be in the morning! Cuts down on dishes, time, and keeps you on track if you can grab and go! Great minds MUST think alike! LOL
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    What about doing something like this? http://www.food.com/recipe/old-widow-walkers-ziploc-omelettes-132052

Or making hard boiled eggs ahead of time so you can just grab and go? I use an Egg Genie . . . super easy . . . takes 20 minutes . . . http://www.amazon.com/EggGenie-Egg-Genie-Electric-Cooker/dp/B0026RXLGU

Or egg beaters/all whites that come in a container are super quick to just pour and cook: http://www.allwhiteseggwhites.com/

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • shellyc7182
    Options
    P.S. I have some experience in food service... Trying to keep eggs warm for longer than about an hour turns them a lovely shade of green....
  • shellyc7182
    Options
    What about doing something like this? http://www.food.com/recipe/old-widow-walkers-ziploc-omelettes-132052

Or making hard boiled eggs ahead of time so you can just grab and go? I use an Egg Genie . . . super easy . . . takes 20 minutes . . . http://www.amazon.com/EggGenie-Egg-Genie-Electric-Cooker/dp/B0026RXLGU

Or egg beaters/all whites that come in a container are super quick to just pour and cook: http://www.allwhiteseggwhites.com/

Best wishes :flowerforyou:

LOVE the ziploc omelette! I do this at Christmas when all the family is together! Everybody can add as little or as many ingredients as they like, and they're completely customizeable. It's important though to use the FREEZER bags. Regular bags melt too quickly and make a terrible mess! <-- Voice of experience!
  • Thirstygirl
    Thirstygirl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

It's not safe to microwave plastic wrap. It starts to break down and it releases all kinds of toxic chemicals into your food. You shouldn't microwave any type of plastic.
  • SheriG9
    Options
    Ok, made breakfast burritos with turkey breakfast sausage, eggs, light cheese, salsa, and whole wheat tortillas.

Going to make a frittata with bell peppers,onions, tomatoes, light cheese, and eggs. I'll let you all know what the kids think tomorrow!

Sheri