New, made it thru day one!

Options
Hello, I'm new to this site and am so proud of myself for journaling EVERYTHING I ate today so the calories could be tallied. Woo Hoo!!! My goal this week is to do it again each day thru next weekend! I would love it too if I meet some others who are determined to eat differently and in the process work to lose weight. I'm 53, a mom of 5, going through the joys and challenges of raising kids. Love them all dearly and my hubby too! I'd like to be around longer than my health at this moment predicts I will be....therefore it's my move!

Replies

• vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and more power to you. 56 here but my kids are grown. Feel free to add me. There are lots of cool ways to journal your food and I'm still learning since I've only been here for a couple of weeks. Check out the Recipe function, no more sitting around with pencil and paper to figure out if your recipe is over the top on the wrong stuff. That tripped up my dieting more than once. Feel free to add me, we can always use more friends.
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats! You already conquered Day 1 :) Just keep it up and sooner than you know it you'll be a pro at this!
  • vwrynn
    Options
    Welcome and Congratulations!!!

I think the best part of journaling isn't the tally, but it shows you which foods you should minimize or remove from your diet. I look at the bottom line and look for what area I went over (carbs, fat, protein), and for any RED area, I look at the big contributors to see what I can remove. Apples show up high in carbs - oh well - gonna eat them anyway. Any non-fruit/non-vegetable gets scrutinized. It also make you fully conscious what a serving is. It's not as much as you can heap on your plate. I was eating oatmeal at work - good for you, right? I put it in a 16oz container which is almost 900 calories. Oops. That's almost 2/3 of my calorie budget and I'm hungry 2 hours later. Guess what got minimized :)

Cheers!
  • wannabedif
    Options
    You are so right about looking at what values a food item has and whether it's worth eating! Also wanting it to fill me and keep me satisfied as long as possible. I am hoping to get wiser in this department! I love your profile pic! I'm an army brat and a (retired) army wife! Have a son in ROTC in college too!
  • wannabedif
    Options
    Thanks for cheering me on t_rog!!!