Question about ezekiel bread!

Options
I was at the grocery store the other day and noticed they had the food for life ezekiel bread in the frozen section AND in the non frozen regular bread section. The packaging looked exactly the same, but there was a difference in price by a dollar (frozen was more expensive)! So I was wondering what's the difference, and do they taste exactly the same if toasted? (Going to try this bread for the first time tonight and I bought the cinnamon raisin one)

Replies

• sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Honestwoman83
    Options
    It's reallllly good!!! Especially the cinnamon raisin one.
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    there is no difference- i love it! and I buy the fresh one
  • AAJoseph
    AAJoseph Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    That is one of my favorites. To be honest, my rural grocery store (not complaining) never has it fresh... well not located in the freezer section I should say. Although, it would make no difference for me personally, as I keep it in the freezer and only take out what I will use.
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options

Oh great so I spent a dollar more for nothing haha, why would they put it in both sections!?
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there's a difference-that's odd that there is a price difference. I keep my in the freezer too-no preservatives, so this helps it last longer....I usually buy it frozen, but have seen it both ways. Never investigated price or ingredient differences.
  • nrimas
    nrimas Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't know. My grocery only has it frozen, but I buy it and eat it every week. It is awesome!!
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Oh great so I spent a dollar more for nothing haha, why would they put it in both sections!?
    [/quote]

Could be it costs more to transport/store it frozen ? Dunno.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

I would ask someone at the store. It might just be a mix-up. It's always been in the frozen food section when I have purchased it (in multiple different stores) so I tend to think there is a reason that it is usually kept frozen until purchase, but who knows?
  • molsenrice
    molsenrice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Same here...it's always in the frozen section where I shop, too. I've always heard it's in the frozen section because it doesn't contain preservatives--so it's suppose to last longer when kept cold. So, I too, refrigerate it when I get it home. And yes, it's the best kind of bread! Sometimes it's sold out of the stores I shop at, and I'll get the HEB Market Organic's Multigrain Sprouted 100% Wheat of the Market Organic's Sprouted Wheat Golden Flax. They cost a little less, and are refrigerated, too, and are nice for a change of pace.
  • bookdame
    Options
    Watch out! It might be moldy inside due to preservatives!

That stuff doesn't last long outside the freezer... So I say go for it but you may have to return it if its been out for a day or two.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    So, I too, refrigerate it when I get it home.
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. I always keep store-bought bread refrigerated, but especially Ezekiel bread. If it has been kept out at room temp for who knows how long, it's no wonder it is $1 less.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options

I'd assume its likely the frozen one will be fresher. I'm pretty sure I read it goes bad kinda fast. but i could be mistaken. you can always ask the store manager.
  • Kimblesnbits
    Options

I'd assume its likely the frozen one will be fresher. I'm pretty sure I read it goes bad kinda fast. but i could be mistaken. you can always ask the store manager.

How long is it good in the freezer????
  • Kimblesnbits
    Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. I always keep store-bought bread refrigerated, but especially Ezekiel bread. If it has been kept out at room temp for who knows how long, it's no wonder it is $1 less.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel is a health buzz word now, and you'll find products that have some sprouted grain in it and not refridgerated, not the same thing.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options

idk, but most things keep in a freezer FOR AWHILE. assuming packaged well. which if you bought it there i'd think it would be. we keep bread in the freezer for weeks. it slows down things on a molecular level so it can't start breaking down or whatever like it would normally. like a pause button. haha. i'm no scientist though. all your questions can prob be answered by calling or going in to talk to the manager. :)