Recipe for coffee drink like McD's Mocha Frappe, but diet?

Options
Amanda888Kay
Amanda888Kay Posts: 10 Member
I LOVE LOVE LOVE McDonald's McCafe Mocha Frappe' (the frozen ones). Does anyone have a recipe that tastes like it and wont kill me diet??? (But not too coffee tasting, as I dont like coffee, but love this drink!)

I would SOO SOO appreciate it if someone does!

Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• DTetz
    DTetz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Those are so good but I got nothing for ya on this one, I was actually brain storming either how I could do a homemade one.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I just saw this on another topic I follow, try it out.

In a blender put
    1cups original almond milk
    1 teaspoon instant coffee
    1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    splenda or stevia to taste
    1 cup Ice

Blend until shake like. Add more ice for more thickness.... I personally like using frozen bananas to get a creamy feeling...but you can't get rid of the banana taste :o/

Top with Whipped Cream (Only 20 cal for 2 Tbsp)
  • Amanda888Kay
    Options
    Thanks so much for that receipe NeuroticVirgo...I will be adding those items to my grocery list.

I am with you 100% DTetz!!!

Any other recipes for a similar drink we could try out???
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Well you probably won't get anything too close since Mcdonalds' frappes have some sort of ice cream base in them.

I have a Mr. Coffee Frappe machine where it brews the coffee and blends it into a smoothie all in one step (you can also use it for protein shakes, coffee-free drinks etc, since there's a blend-only feature).

I use 3 scoops coffee with a 1/2 cup water in the brewer part, and 5 ice cubes, 1/2 cup skim milk, a small squirt of hershey's syrup (you could substitute with a sugar-free variety or even a chocolate protein powder) and a sprinkle of sugar (again, could use splenda/stevia, etc---i haven't made one of these since I started my diet) in the blender cup.

You could do the same thing in a regular blender and just add the coffee after you brew it in the pot, or even instant coffee. or you can go more 'coffee shop' and grind espresso, etc.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Ok, let me see if I remember this.

Fill your cup with ice.
    Coffee- use 1 oz of coffee for every 8 oz of ice (8 oz cup, 1 oz coffee; 12 oz cup 1 1/2 oz coffee, 24 oz ice, 3 oz coffee)
    Splenda/sweet-n-low/equal use one packet per 6 oz of ice (12 oz cup 2 packs, 18 oz cup 3 packs, 24 oz cup 4 packs)
    Chocolate- You'll have to do this prep before hand, but throw a dark chocolate bar into your blender and powderize it. You need 1 tablespoon for every 12 oz ice (2T for 24 oz). You want to keep this in tupperware in your fridge.
    Fill the rest of the cup with milk, skim milk, soy, almond, rice milk, whatever you use.
    Throw it in your blender and blend.

So for a 12 oz cup: 12 oz ice, 1 1/2 oz coffee, 2 sweetners, 1T chocolate powder, fill with milkish liquid and blend.
    16-18 oz: ice, 2 oz coffee, 3 sweetners, 1 1/2 T chocolate, the rest milk
    24 oz: ice, 3 oz coffee, 4 sweetners, 2 T chocolate, the rest milk
  • bren1969
    bren1969 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jdmacfam
    Options
    Maybe try a fat free frozen yogurt as the base. I've tried to make the homemade Caramel Frappe and came close but not identical. If you search for the recipe and then swap out the fattening stuff for less fattening stuff I think that's the only way you'll come close w/o the 500 McD's calories!
    Well you probably won't get anything too close since Mcdonalds' frappes have some sort of ice cream base in them.

I have a Mr. Coffee Frappe machine where it brews the coffee and blends it into a smoothie all in one step (you can also use it for protein shakes, coffee-free drinks etc, since there's a blend-only feature).

I use 3 scoops coffee with a 1/2 cup water in the brewer part, and 5 ice cubes, 1/2 cup skim milk, a small squirt of hershey's syrup (you could substitute with a sugar-free variety or even a chocolate protein powder) and a sprinkle of sugar (again, could use splenda/stevia, etc---i haven't made one of these since I started my diet) in the blender cup.

You could do the same thing in a regular blender and just add the coffee after you brew it in the pot, or even instant coffee. or you can go more 'coffee shop' and grind espresso, etc.
  • Amanda888Kay
    Options
    So many great ideas!!! Thank you all SOOOO much!! I love it!!!

On the Frappe machine...where and how much did you find one for???
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    This is from Hungry Girl:

Make-alike McCafe Mocha Latte

In a large microwave-safe mug or cup, combine 2 tsp. instant coffee, 2 tsp. fat-free nondairy powdered creamer, and a 25-calorie packet of hot cocoa mix. Add 3/4 cup hot water and stir to dissolve ingredients. Then add 1/4 cup light vanilla soymilk, nuke until hot (about 45 seconds), and stir. Yum! Your mocha will have only about 70 calories and less than a gram of fat (POINTS® value 1*)! If you want, top it with a generous squirt of Fat Free Reddi-wip and a squiggle of light chocolate syrup. Mmmmm!
  • cdino
    cdino Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    A favorite drink of mine is:

Swiss Miss Diet Hot Cocoa Packet (25 calories)
    Coffee Mate Sugar-Free creamer in French Vanilla or Hazelnut (1tbs. is 15 calories). I use the powdered creamer.

I heat up 12 oz. of water in the microwave and use 2 packets of the hot cocoa and 2 tbs. of the creamer. It is an 80 calorie delicious treat.
  • Amanda888Kay
    Options
    Awesome, thanks! So many wonderful recipes!! Cant wait to start trying them out!
  • DTetz
    DTetz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This sounds amazing, and you could probably just throw this and add ice in a blender and you will have a frappé.
    This is from Hungry Girl:

Make-alike McCafe Mocha Latte

In a large microwave-safe mug or cup, combine 2 tsp. instant coffee, 2 tsp. fat-free nondairy powdered creamer, and a 25-calorie packet of hot cocoa mix. Add 3/4 cup hot water and stir to dissolve ingredients. Then add 1/4 cup light vanilla soymilk, nuke until hot (about 45 seconds), and stir. Yum! Your mocha will have only about 70 calories and less than a gram of fat (POINTS® value 1*)! If you want, top it with a generous squirt of Fat Free Reddi-wip and a squiggle of light chocolate syrup. Mmmmm!
  • Hardemanwifey
    Hardemanwifey Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bump jus what im looking for.
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    McD's sugar free vanilla isnt that bad.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    I just saw this on another topic I follow, try it out.

In a blender put
    1cups original almond milk
    1 teaspoon instant coffee
    1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    splenda or stevia to taste
    1 cup Ice

Blend until shake like. Add more ice for more thickness.... I personally like using frozen bananas to get a creamy feeling...but you can't get rid of the banana taste :o/

Top with Whipped Cream (Only 20 cal for 2 Tbsp)

you could use frozen chobani cubes instead for a creamy taste, added protein too. I would use Special Dark cocoa.. and more of it ! yum!
  • liz3marie
    liz3marie Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ksproston
    ksproston Posts: 6,929 Member
    Options
    Someone else posted a Hungry Girl recipe as well. I have one of her 200 under 200 calories cookbook. It has fantastic drink recipes.
  • anwscott
    Options
    bump
  • vozellab
    vozellab Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe from Paula Deen's brother Bobby that is only 69 calories. I haven't tried yet, but I used to have Mocha Frappes daily. http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/bobbys_lighter_iced_double-chocolate_mocha_frappe/